Franklin vs Centennial

FHSrebel27

I think CHS will play the kicking game as it goes. I would bet they start the game kicking like normal. They haven't been burned yet (to the best of my knowledge, someone correct me) and the special teams tackling has been solid. They may move some more experienced players to the coverage teams and ask more of them with lanes, but I bet they kick like normal. If they give up too many yards then they'll probably adjust. Just a hunch though.

Also the comparison between Josh Gregory and Curtis Steele caught my eye. I say that because the Cougar ground game isn't based around the running backs. Its behind stellar offensive line play and good decisions by the QB's. The backs are just the recipients of the glory.

I think for Centennial to win, they've got to score alot. And then score some more. The defense hasn't proven itself consistent enough. They've proven things in spurts. They can handle speed, like they showed in the second half shut down at Pearl, but its just that, only the second half. They couldn't do it for an entire game. Also, the schedule hasn't shown much passing, so I dont know how much of a pass rush we're going to bring. If it were pure coaching, I wouldn't worry. Mike Finney and Daryll Hamilton will have the schemes to get pressure, I just dont know if we've got the athletes to do it. We'll have to see.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, I can't tell if this is BigDogDaddy really believing this will be the case or just some mind-game.

boneal52,

Daryll Hamilton... did he coach at Brentwood Academy before arriving at CHS? The name sounds very familar.

And your special teams may not have been burned yet, but have they faced the likes of Ryan Nichols and Joe Bell??? I doubt it...

Hamilton was a two way monster at BA and then returned for a coaching stint in 99 and 2000 I believe.

And I have never seen bell or Nichols since last year so I wouldn't know how they compare. We've seen some good returners though from Theo Townsend and Ryan Karl to Bobby Council and Reno Thompson. Are Bell and Nichols that much better?

Franklin Dfense not coached well enough to stop Centennial, look for Centennial to have huge offensive output. Franklin special teams play won't be enough to make a difference.

Centennial 35 Franklin 28

Are my eyes reading this right? Bigdog posting bad about Franklin and picking someone else to win... but if thats how he feels then im all for it. will definately be a close and exciting game though, im sure of that

Edited by ftballkicker

Franklin Dfense not coached well enough to stop Centennial, look for Centennial to have huge offensive output. Franklin special teams play won't be enough to make a difference.

Centennial 35 Franklin 28

Is Centennial's offense as strong as Lincoln County's? The Falcons did score 38 in a HARD fought game. I don't think Centennial is that good, but I may be wrong. My pick is still Franklin. Go Rebels.

Are my eyes reading this right? Bigdog posting bad about Franklin and picking someone else to win... but if thats how he feels then im all for it. will definately be a close and exciting game though, im sure of that

Have you watched our D against an Option Offense? Boy, I sure have. Tim Johnson REFUSES to allow his DEs to Penetrate and the Option has eaten our lunch. If this doesn't change...If we don't get penetration from somewhere ...Look for Centennial to have 400 yds rushing. Columbia Central did and they're not nearly as good! Henry Co ran on us all night and Clarksville made us look stupid at times. Its not the talent ...there's plenty of talent on D ...It's the coaching!!!

As bad as Gregory is ...we might get out coached!

Rebel ...Kicker....tell me I'm wrong...tell me you see something I don't!

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Ok, I see that Coach Johnson has taken the FHS program from a sure bet for a near .500 season to 11-2 last year and 4-1 this year. He must be doing something right. As far as the D goes, they've allowed all of 10 points in the last three games, a HUGE improvement from the first two games of the season- I don't care who the opponents were. Sure, teams have been able to run on us somewhat, but we've stepped up and kept them out of the endzone. You don't get points for getting to the 35. You have to either kick a field goal or cross the goal line. We haven't let that happen too many times in three games.

I'm dissapointed that I'm having to defend Franklin to another Franklin fan... and that'll be all I say about anything other than Franklin vs Centennial.

GO REBELS!!!

Ive had the opportunity to watch both teams this season. I saw CHS last week agains Brentwood (good game...take a knee, and punt for Pete sake) and Ive seen Franklin a lot this season. Franklin is better on special teams, both have explosive offense (slight upper hand going to Franklin), and Centennial's defense has been far more consistant (not necessarily better) than Franklin's this year. I think it will be a good game early but Franklin will pull away in the second half. I could be wrong but thats what I think after seeing both teams.

Good luck to both teams it should be a fun game to attend.

I'm dissapointed that I'm having to defend Franklin to another Franklin fan... and that'll be all I say about anything other than Franklin vs Centennial.

GO REBELS!!!

Rebel -

I want to see Franklin win the state and anybody who knows anything about football (And I know you do) knows that you win it with Defense. I do agree with you as far as Franklin "keeping them out of the endzone" but the ease with which inferior teams have had numerous 10+ yrd runs is ridiculous and while you say you have seen an improvement in "less scoring" I have not seen an improvement in "fundemental defense."

You are probably too young to remember how the entire SEC in the 70s and early 80s ran an Option Offense, because today everyone has adopted to the "West Coast Run and Shoot." The only way to stop it was with great penetration by your DEs They had to come across and get in the QBs face before he had time to get down the line and outside where his athleticism and speed could make things happen (Condridge Halloway).

Franklin doesn't do that they "bump and react" on the corners trying to "string things out" and they are getting killed!! Not by one or two offenses but by everyone they have played. Franklins best Defense is when they "send" the DEs hard because they are so quick. Carl Ladd and Justin Alexander are known for their quickness and that has been taken from them by the style of Defense we are running.

I have always been very truthful and Candid with my posts on CoachT and I don't see any reason to stop now just because I have to say something I rather wouldn't.

My Daddy always told me "The Truth Hurts"

I decided to pay a little visit to the Tennessean and find how many rushing yards we've given up per game.

Lincoln County: 294 yards

Columbia: 396

Henry County: 104 yards listed, but we'll add 50 to account for misssing data (only one player listed) so 154

Oakland: 179

Clarksville: 145

Just looking at those numbers, there is a sense of improvement. Well perhaps some of that yardage has been in big chunks, the D has stepped up when it needed it to and that's basically what matters. This was especially true in the Oakland game. Heck, we held Crawford to 99 which if he's as good as billed (can't tell by just one game) then that wasn't too shabby. Is there still room for improvement? Sure. But I'll say no one left on our schedule can run the ball as well as Gregory at LC (yes boneal52, I know that bothers you, sorry). So in my mind we'll be OK.

And I'm just not a big fan of the "defense wins championships" cliche. While it may appear that way, I say that if you have the explosive offense that Franklin has, it's not as crucial.

Ok, no more Franklin/Centennial for me till the weekend (at least that's the plan!) because I have a huge history paper to write before 11:30 AM Friday. Good luck me!

Go Riverdale! Go Smyrna!