TSSAA

Guest cneagles

No, what I am saying is that we don't know enough about the economics of hgih school sports, statewide, to claim that the money is being used correctly or incorrectly. And, no, I do not have a problem with the man making $100,000 a year, if that is correct. I hope that you and I both are able to do the same some day.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CoachT,

All that is being done on here is QUESTIONING because WE DON'T KNOW how the money is spent. When you do the quick math that cneagles did, you do begin to question what is being done with it.

What insight do you have to it? Does TSSAA make public their accounting records, etc.? That would help eliminate the questions!

OFF TOPIC: (Thank you for your quick resolution to my admitted "out-of-control" posting. I extend full apologies to IAMOZ since he was not the one who made the poor decision to move the thread. I just "assumed" he did since he answered cneagles in the other thread questioning the move. I am fully aware of why you are policing these threads and greatly appreciate what you are trying to provide and the difficult efforts to do so.....it just seemed that the moderator in question acted very inappropriately......sorta like I did.)

I'll find out today if the records are public, etc. I just feel that, as I pointed out in my response concerning my personal finances earlier, until we know where the money comes from, how much, and where it goes that it is easy to imagine millions of $ coming in and all of it going to salaries and nowhere else.

Our mods are overwhelmed daily with 100s of reports about posts. Most of the reports are erroneously sent by fans who think that if they click Report they are replying to a message. We are trying to work out a better method but the mods have to be allowed to use their best judgment on moving, deleting, or editing posts/threads if they are going to be affective. If I get a well-worded, serious complaint from a fan about a post then I am going to take some action on it. What action to take is the hardest part.

I'll find out today if the records are public, etc. I just feel that, as I pointed out in my response concerning my personal finances earlier, until we know where the money comes from, how much, and where it goes that it is easy to imagine millions of $ coming in and all of it going to salaries and nowhere else.

Our mods are overwhelmed daily with 100s of reports about posts. Most of the reports are erroneously sent by fans who think that if they click Report they are replying to a message. We are trying to work out a better method but the mods have to be allowed to use their best judgment on moving, deleting, or editing posts/threads if they are going to be affective. If I get a well-worded, serious complaint from a fan about a post then I am going to take some action on it. What action to take is the hardest part.

Please check out the TN Secondary School Athletic Association at guidestar.org if you want the facts on their financials. It's a free service to users. Please note how it's been spelled. If you search under TSSAA you will not get a match.

Guest cneagles

I just have a problem when we have programs in this state that work their butts off to get to the playoffs and then the TSSAA takes have the gate. Some programs don't even have the funding to buy the players a shirt. The players work their butts off. I understand that we need golf,etc. but why does it come at the expense of football. Look at Clarksville who about had their programs shut down. Why doesn't TSSAA step in and prevent that from happening. If you want a lawsuit that is were the lawsuit should be is keeping these programs running. Maybe a fund that would help support programs that are struggling. Anything to give these programs some support.

Just on very conservative calculations we come up with well over a million dollars that TSSAA gets. And that was not counting the championship and private state championships. You are right we don't know were it is going but the TSSAA is technically working for the high schools and we should keep tabs on what is spent and what is wasted. Making football coaches pay to go to any football game is rediculous. That is being money hungry and selfish! When are we going to say enough is enough and take responsibility. CoachT I understand your theory of the checkbook but the difference is that you have the say so of where your money is spent. The programs of Tennessee have no say so and that is not right.

cneagles- in trying to answer a couple of questions at a time I hope we can answer all of your questions, and everyone else's, in time.

I think your earlier equation on the analysis of playoff money is about right. I think that your figures on attendance at playoff games, though, is high. I think it would be more in the neighborhood of 50% of that. People think attendance is much more than it really is. Many games in Knoxville, Memphis, Chattanooga and Nashville may not draw (in the playoffs) as much as 500 people. Two years ago when Maryville played Red Bank with Riggs as running back in Maryville the paid attendance was less than 4,500 and that was the biggest non-championship playoff attendance I can remember in recent years. Your local board of control member can give you those figures, I think.

On the topic someone raised about the TSSAA paying the officials at all sporting events instead to the schools paying them: there are 46,000 contests between TSSAA schools each year. That translates to about 130 contests per school per year. Now assume 1/2 of those are home events and the TSSAA pays $25 towards those officials. That means $1,445 would be paid for the officials for the season for each school. Keep in mind of course that TSSAA gets $0 for any regular season game. So that means that the TSSAA would spend close to $600,000 to schools during the season - which is far more than the officials and schools pay each year to register with TSSAA.

Also consider how the officials would be paid. Would TSSAA cut checks for the officials? -- average of 222 contests each school day. Think of the immense overhead of writing that many checks each day during the school year -- additional staff would have to be hired just to write the checks to the officials and balance the books. If you say that the TSSAA could just reimburse the schools at the end of the season then you have to go back to the preceding paragraph. That amount would be far more than the officials and schools pay each year to register with TSSAA.

IMaking football coaches pay to go to any football game is rediculous. That is being money hungry and selfish! When are we going to say enough is enough and take responsibility.

I have never understood that, either. During the regular season coaches can get into any game using their TSSAA pass but in the TSSAA playoffs they won't accept their own membership card for admittance. The puzzle to me, though, is that this has to come through the Board of Control, not the TSSAA office, and I've often wondered why coaches haven't asked their BOC members to change this.

Guest cneagles

The reason I chose the numbers that I did was that even if some schools averaged 800. The schools like Oak Ridge, Riverdale, Lincoln County, etc bring in 10,000 at some games. They greatly bring up the average. To take the paper work out of paying the officials they could just reimburse the schools, or prepay the schools one lump sum at the beginning of the season.

The reason I chose the numbers that I did was that even if some schools averaged 800. The schools like Oak Ridge, Riverdale, Lincoln County, etc bring in 10,000 at some games. They greatly bring up the average. To take the paper work out of paying the officials they could just reimburse the schools, or prepay the schools one lump sum at the beginning of the season.

You missed the end of my earlier post:

"If you say that the TSSAA could just reimburse the schools at the end of the season then you have to go back to the preceding paragraph. That amount would be far more than the officials and schools pay each year to register with TSSAA."

From looking at the actual attendance figures I still believe it will come out to about half of what you quoted earlier.