Germany 3 USA 0

Anderson6395

Futbol,

I don't know that I would say that Germany "dominated". You must have seen only the final score to render an opinion. Remember, that's my opinion.

The USA team "dominated" offensive pressure in the second half but I think that it was because Germany went to a defensive posture pretty early in the second half but was prepared to strike with counters-and that they did superbly. They had girls up top that won balls and were willing to attack the defense. In the first half, I would still have to give the edge for "domination" to the USA.

The great thing about soccer is that it's not about domination, it's about putting the ball in the net. The USA was disappointing the entire tournament with putting balls in the net-outside of set pieces and "head" superiority. Few of what I'd call "conventional" goals were scored by the USA.

Oh well, there's alway 4 years from now.

I would agree that the US looked the better team in the first half despite the goal. Lots and lots of chances but nothing went in. The two goals at the end showed how the US were going all out to get the goal back, you have to do it even though you leave yourself seriously exposed for the counter.

Rickk561,

I agree that US dominated most of the game especially in the first half but if you break it down even farther when did the US start to struggle?It was when Cindy Parlow was taken out of the game. In the first half she was causing all type of problems down that right flank then all the sudden she goes out and it starts to even out. Every coach/fan is going to have their own opinion but I still think they should have Cindy, Hamm, Abby up top with Aly as attacking center-mid, Julie Foudy behind her, with Lilly, and Milbrett as out-side mids. Every coach is going to be second guessed but I just thought if it is not broken (Cindy Parlow) why change. Even though she did not score she kept creating the most dangerous chances.

Doctn,

Good points. Personally, I have never been a big Parlow fan but must admit that lately her talents have grown on me. She had always appeared to me to be a big slow girl that is good with her head only. But if you pay attention, she has excellent "close-in" possession skills and passes well off her feet from just about every conceivable position. She also has those "go go gadget legs" that seem to go way out there to steal balls and deflect passes. (Dumont like-you'll know what I'm saying, doctn). I thought that having her up front with Wambach and having Hamm to play to them both was unstoppable.

I personally don't think the game ever "evened out" after Parlow left. It appeared that the US became more aggressive in getting the ball forward and had success in getting the ball in good position to score all night long. I was disappointed in Hamm in the second half. She had numerous opportunites on the right side and in the right corner but didn't seem to consistently attack the defense or get good balls/crosses into the middle in front of the goal (I must admit that the German goalie had a lot to do with that-she had an amazing game!). If she is truly the "best in the world", she should have stepped up and got it done.

They made mention last night of Parlow not being a "90-minute player". What's your take on that? Do you think she has a stamina problem? I haven't noticed that being a problem or issue with Parlow.

Taking time to second guess the coach, why was Bivens starting? I thought Pearce had that right back position sewed up. It seems that it would have been nice to also get McMillan in the game late (yes, I know she's been hurt but she has a real nose for the goal and is great on set pieces).

As a side comment, I was disappointed with Foudie throughout the tournament. She wasn't involved in possessing, passing, set pieces, scoring, or anything. Am I stupid for saying this because I know she has been a stalwart on this team for many years. Lilly seemed to be much more active. Am I missing something. Did the other teams avoid her on purpose. ????

I like your idea of putting Milbrett in as an outside mid as an offensive weapon.

Final comment. I dread hearing about how "if Brandy Chastain had played, we would have won". I AM NOT A CHASTAIN FAN!!! I personally think she's been one of the weakest links on the US team for years. If she would have played, maybe she would have scored another "own goal" like she did in 1999 (by the way, I never heard ANY mention of this when they were speaking of the 3-2 US victory over Germany in the 1999 World Cup). They treat Brandy like something special which in my opinion she is not.

rickk5561,

The biggest problem for US was not being able to play in front of their back four. When Aly Wagner came in I thought that was a good move because of her ability to play players through.

I agree that Cindy is tall and lanky and comes and goes in some games but she was working extremely hard and creating so many chances that were dangerous.

Then the US last 20 minutes started driving balls into the corner but did not try to play to Wambachs feet and run off of her. She is a great target player and why not put her up front and keep playing balls into her feet the opening up the outside space. Mia is such a great player but I think the US as a whole will look back at this game and look at the numerous opprotunites that they had to have quality services.

I will still support the US and give Germany credit but I just wished that it would ended for these older players in a better way for all they have done for US Womens Soccer.