Is H.S. football going to the College Bowl system?

therealtimbob

I like the idea of Bowls. I say the current system is broke. Have your top tiered teams play the bigger bowl games, and rotate them from year to year. Have the lower tiered teams play in the smaller bowls. Maybe have a regional playoff for larger split regions. Give the money to the host school. I bet you more people would be involved, especially at the local level to generate excitement for their bowl.

The smaller tiered teams such as Alcoa, Sweetwater, Trousdale County, Gordonsville, Marion Coounty, Marshall County, South Pittsburg, Moore County, DCA etc. have better crowd attendance during the regular season than many of the 4a and 5a schools. The playoff season is special...forget the Advertisement Bowls.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The smaller tiered teams such as Alcoa, Sweetwater, Trousdale County, Gordonsville, Marion Coounty, Marshall County, South Pittsburg, Moore County, DCA etc. have better crowd attendance during the regular season than many of the 4a and 5a schools. The playoff season is special...forget the Advertisement Bowls.

RLH, I wasn't referring to lower tier teams in terms of classification. I think you have 5 major bowls (1A-5A) and rotate them every year so some years a bowl will have the 1A game and next year they may have the 5A game etc;

By lower tier teams I was referring to teams that had an average regular season record but still deserve to be rewarded through a bowl game. I think this makes the regular season more meaningful and maybe it keeps teams from playing a cupcake schedule. I can remember going to a bowl game in Tullahoma (the Lions Bowl if I remeber correctly) many years ago. They put on a great show. This way it not only gets the two schools involved....it gets another town involved thus it draws more people and we also have more than 5 teams walking away from the season with their final game as a W. I think football playoffs take way too much time and the first round games are usually duds any way. I think we really need to look at what makes sense for the schools and the athletes.

The current system still allows for bowl games to be played:

(from TSSAA handbook)

H. Schools that do not qualify for the playoffs may schedule an additional game, bringing the total number of games to 11. No member school shall schedule a game that conflicts with the playoff games.

I. No school will be permitted to schedule an 11th game, a bowl game, or an additional game if there is any possiblity the school may qualify for the playoffs.

K. A school must participate in the playoff series and win at least five games in order to be eligible to participate in a bowl game.

However, the current classification system does not allow for many cases where a team would have a .500 or better record and still miss the playoffs.

RLH, I wasn't referring to lower tier teams in terms of classification. I think you have 5 major bowls (1A-5A) and rotate them every year so some years a bowl will have the 1A game and next year they may have the 5A game etc;

By lower tier teams I was referring to teams that had an average regular season record but still deserve to be rewarded through a bowl game. I think this makes the regular season more meaningful and maybe it keeps teams from playing a cupcake schedule. I can remember going to a bowl game in Tullahoma (the Lions Bowl if I remeber correctly) many years ago. They put on a great show. This way it not only gets the two schools involved....it gets another town involved thus it draws more people and we also have more than 5 teams walking away from the season with their final game as a W. I think football playoffs take way too much time and the first round games are usually duds any way. I think we really need to look at what makes sense for the schools and the athletes.

Thanks for the clarification. How do you Pick who goes to the Big bowls? That would almost do away with the importance of the regions and would reward teams with 10-0 or 11-0 records rather than who the beat during the season. The Big bowls exist now in the form of State Championship games. I think the number of teams in the playoffs should be reduced to the top 3 teams from each region rather than 4. Maybe even the top 2 teams like it was in the mid to late 80s. With the 3 team per region, the region champ gets a bye.

I think you take a look at several factors to get into the, for lack of better word let's just call them, "Premier Bowls" or top 5.

1. Strength of schedule

2. Wins and losses (no brainer)

3. Winner must be region winner (possibly to be determined by play-off of split division regular season champs of re-aligned increased regions. Similar to college confrence championship games.)

This way, the most any team plays is 12 games. This not only reduces the # of games, but reduces the expense that playing 14 or 15 games seasons. I think you could get not only local sponsorship but possibly some corporate sponsorship for the premeir bowls (possibly the CoachT.com bowl...now there's an idea). Anyway, I really think the idea could fly if we could get the advantages out to all the schools. Maybe I could make a presentation at the next TSSAA meeting.wait let me put my shades on first. :D

BCS and bowl games are so overrated. Playoffs in college would be incredible and I really wish they would go that route. The only thing I could nit pick and say that is wrong with high school playoffs is two many teams out of the region go to the playoffs. I dont think 1-9 and 2-8 teams should be going. Although, in some rare occasions, the upset does happen.

The current system is fine, but I would suggest a merit based system to place each school in their class. Just go back over the past 10 years and compute results to determine how well a team has done. I ask you why should Warren County be competeing in 5A? It`S obvious that they are not a top level program at this point, so what`s the point in them being in the highest class? How about a system that moves Maryville and all the other top programs into the top class while the weaker programs filter on down to similar competition?

Wouldn`t it be great to have all schools competing in a system that they all have a decent chance to win something?

And wouldn`t it be awesome to see all the TOP programs in the state competing at the highest level?

Let's just make sure that you have to have a winning record to get in the playoffs. No more 1-9, 2-8 even 4-6 teams should make it. Why should you be rewarded for being mediocre? Realign so there are no more 4 or 5 team regions. And please do away with the asinine rule in D-2 (win 2 of your league games or 50% of your total games and you make the playoffs). MUS is now 4-3 and 2-0 in the league. They have qualified for the playoffs although it is conceivable (and very likely) that they will lose their last three games and finish at 4-6 overall and 2-3 in league play. They play Brentwood Academy, MBA and CBHS. CHANGE THE SYSTEM!