Need for Official Statistic Bureau

BigDogDaddy

Should the TSSAA have an online database, that coaches would be able to logon and input their teams statistics?

It seems as though the papers(Tennessean in my case) only get some stats and not others( i.e. all purpose yards) . Some teams send stats in sometimes while others ignore them all together. It would be easier to compare/discuss East to Middle to West Tennessee if we had a common database. Your thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still need someone at TSSAA to compile them and that would be expensive, another salary.

I'm sorry ...what is it exactly that takes up all their time now? Add staff? Only TN State Government and California State government have higher Staff/Results ratios than TSSAA. :unsure: Just kidding

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Lets pay another official to be the statman like the NCAA does!!!

The TSSAA can buy new laptops for all statmen and they can compile and print the results for Newspapers and the team. Lets also hire a spotter ref to help spot tackles so we can have an accurate count on Tackles.

Edited by beethoven

Don't hold your breath about the TSSAA paying a stat guy or buying laptops, or even lap dances for any stat people. On balance newspapers do a decent job at keeping stats, but that's only because local, rural papers focus on one or just a handful of teams, and therefore they are more familiar and more likely to get it right. Conversely, a writer for a larger daily may not know the nuances or players from teams he/she covers. And more often than not, those writers are on deadline and may make a mistake here or there or misidentify someone. Perhaps it should be incumbent for each school to provide a REAL SID, not this sham the TSSAA tried to implement several years ago; one who does play by play, keeps all the charts, etc., much like colleges. I don't think it's the TSSAA's job to be goalkeeper and stat taker, too. It was a nice effort in theory for the TSSAA to introduce an SID program, but pragmatically, it hasn't come close to working as well as it should. But as the thread topic suggests, I believe an official statistics bureau would be very successful, not to mention profitable.

JP, do you seriously think anybody was being serious about TSSAA buying new laptops and paying stat guys?? Every one of your ideas is great but with one problem that has always existed and will forever exist. LACK OF FUNDS! I played under TSSAA guidelines for my 4 years in high school, and although I thank them for everything they did that allowed me to be a part of it, I have always been disappointed by the lack of organization. I almost equate TSSAA to the United Nations. We need a TSSAA, however we need one that is a lot more effective. And I dont' have the time to write, nor do you to read, all of my reasoning. If you disagree then I repsect that, but that's my perspective of it.

BACK TO THE TOPIC, I think an official bureau would be great! When one of you thinks of how to successfully implement it, then let's do it!

I agree with the SID comment. Every coach/teacher should already have a PC and I think the TSSAA could audit a team if they thought they were padding numbers by reviewing actual film.

It has to be head coach only log in so as to make them accountable. He has to get the stats from his statman the night of the game and then review the game film to see if he thinks there are any "noticable" errors and then submit the statmans audited numbers on a page on TSSAA's web site using his log in. If at the end of the season something looks fishy the other coaches in the Region could voice their concerns triggering a film audit. TSSAA needs to stay on the coaches about getting their numbers in.

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Watch4Me, thanks for your response, but go back and read my remarks again. I never suggested that the TSSAA pay for laptops or stat people. I agree with you that such a notion would be far from pragmatic. And no, I never took seriously such an axiom as the TSSAA providing anything to any of the schools (except of course sanctioning and confiscation of playoff gate money). Lack of funds you say? Were you aware that the TSSAA is the second biggest money maker of all the 50 state high school sanctioning body, trailing only California? I think it was beethoven who suggested that the TSSAA provide laptops, etc. I never proffered any ideas, mind you, just commenting on the topic at hand. But, I'm with you regarding a sports stat bureau. Again, I re-state, so I won't be misunderstood, it is incumbent upon each school to take care of its statistical data, not the media, not the TSSAA. How each school does it is up to each school.

JP, I apologize if I misunderstood you, or responded incorrectly to your posts. I can definately understand how TSSAA brings in the money. I guess instead of saying that TSSAA couldn't buy all those laptops, I should say they WOULDN'T buy all those laptops. With all that money they're making, maybe they should get a different financial advisor to help them spend it more effieciently.

Anyways...

And another point, I greatly admire your extensive vocabulary, however you must bear in mind that your vocabulary is most likely greater than 95% of the people on this website. Be attentive when posting that you do not talk in a vocabulary that is far beyond the rest of us!

Lol, oh I'm just messin with ya...good post!