Memphis East vs. Melrose

LCstatman

memphisplayer, Maryville whipped Memphis East 33-14 in 2000. That was a whipping.TJ Brock had 180yds rushing that game. Memphis East never adjusted to the unbalanced line that Maryville ran that day.

Maryville beat Hillsboro 34-27 in 2001. Maryville was definatly the better team that year. Maryville's offense was too much for Hillsboro's defense. MHS had the ball on the 15 yd line when the game ended. They could have easily scored another touchdown.

Maryville was fortunate to beat Hillsboro last season. But. Hillsboro could not throw the ball a lick. That came back to haunt them. Maryville is balanced. Nobody got to see the real Rebels last year because they had a ton of injuries. Starters Andrew Hodge,Russell Clement,Andrew Eubanks and Chris Large missed 4 or more games because of injuries.When they came back they weren't 100%. Alex Rouse missed the season. Lucas Tipton and Cole McKinney played hurt all year.Chris McCord missed a game. Before Maryville started having all those injuries they were playing the best football that I ever seen a Maryville team play. After the 1st Morristown West game is when they started getting the injury bug.It is amazing that they won state with all those injuries.

Maryville won those 3 titles in a row because they have very good football players,They are Smart,Well Coached and Disciplined. They play as a team.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

memphisplayer, Maryville whipped Memphis East 33-14 in 2000. That was a whipping.TJ Brock had 180yds rushing that game. Memphis East never adjusted to the unbalanced line that Maryville ran that day.

Maryville beat Hillsboro 34-27 in 2001. Maryville was definatly the better team that year. Maryville's offense was too much for Hillsboro's defense. MHS had the ball on the 15 yd line when the game ended. They could have easily scored another touchdown.

Maryville was fortunate to beat Hillsboro last season. But. Hillsboro could not throw the ball a lick. That came back to haunt them. Maryville is balanced. Nobody got to see the real Rebels last year because they had a ton of injuries. Starters Andrew Hodge,Russell Clement,Andrew Eubanks and Chris Large missed 4 or more games because of injuries.When they came back they weren't 100%. Alex Rouse missed the season. Lucas Tipton and Cole McKinney played hurt all year.Chris McCord missed a game. Before Maryville started having all those injuries they were playing the best football that I ever seen a Maryville team play. After the 1st Morristown West game is when they started getting the injury bug.It is amazing that they won state with all those injuries.

Maryville won those 3 titles in a row because they have very good football players,They are Smart,Well Coached and Disciplined. They play as a team.

This whole thing is my fault. If anyone reads my post, usually I stay away from this kind of stuff. I hate these subjective arguments ie... who is the best long stapper in East TN, or who is the best 9th grade Offensive guard. That kind of debate is pointless. I apologize for even starting this debate. However, I am indeed intitled to my opinion, so since the debate has started let me give my 2 cents worth.

2000 Maryville VS Memphis East recap

If you were at the 2000 title game then you know that 33-14 is very deceiving. East Led 8-0 after the 1st QTR. Maryville scored in the 2nd QTR but East still led. With 15 seconds to go in the half, Maryville missed a FG attempt on on 4th and long That would have given them the laad going into the half 9-8. But East was flagged for roughing the kicker giving Maryville a last shot with 1st and goal to go. East should have been able to simply take a knee, and go in with a 2 point lead 8-6 to end the 1st half. Consequently marville has 1st and Goal and throws a TD pass with just seconds to go in the 1st half.

Maryville 13 - Memphis East 8 @ Halftime

Both teams had possessions to start the 3rd QTR but Maryville drew 1st blood. Maryville score on a TJ brock run to take a 19-7 lead late in the 3rd QTR. Things were startting to look gloomy for East. But East quickly recovered after Ladarius Price brought the kickoff back to around midfield. East put together its best drive since its 1st possession of the game, were East took it 80 yards to start the ball game, East moved the ball to 1st and Goal from the 6 yard line Before Price threw the most ill advised pass in the history of football. The Maryville kid returns the errant pass 98 yards for a TD which still stand as the state record for longest INT return in Blue Cross Bowl History

now the score is Maryville 26 East 7. But obviosly, if the wind had been blowing a different way it could have just as Easily been Marville 19 Memphis East 14

East nontheless, responded with a 4th QTR TD, to shave the Lead to 26-14 But maryville put the game on Ice with a late meaningless 4th QTR TD. I am not at all incenuating that Maryville ran up the score. But Maryville's last TD with a few minutes to go was irelevant to the outcome of the game.

Final Score Maryville 33 Memphis East 14

The game went this way. East scored on their 1st possesion. They scored on a reverve by Brandon Wright. East makes 2 point conversion to make it 8-0. Maryville runs the ball real well then throws an int.

The game turned around when Maryville punted and it hit an East player. Maryville recovers the ball and takes it down the field and punches it in. East QB throws a pass that Scott Wilks intercepts and runs it to the 15 yd line. East hold MHS to field goal attempt but gets called for roughing the kicker. MHS then punches it in to make it 12-7.

East kicks off then Maryville fumbles. East gets held then MHS has a penalty to give East 4 more downs.On 4th down Ladarius Price throws the interception that Kyle Harris takes 97 yds to the house. That made the score 19-7. East scores on the next possesion to make it 19-14. MHS drives it down the field to make it 26-14. Both teams stop the others offense the next few possesions. Maryville punts in the 4th quarter but East roughs up the punter. MHS keeps the ball and drives it in for the clinching TD that gave Maryville the win 33-14.

East made a ton of mistakes that game. Maryville played well that game. East never adjusted to Maryville using the unbalanced line.MHS didn't use that formation all year.

I was surprised that Maryville won that game. East had lot better athletes. When East scored their 1st TD I thought this. "It is great being here. We may not win but the future is bright with all these sophomores that start" I thought East was going to kick Maryville's tail. But. Those seniors that year would not let Maryville give up. I also think East may have let up after that 1st TD. They acted like they had the game in the bag after that 1st TD.

Good luck to Melrose and East. Looks like Melrose is the team to beat in 4A this year.

Well Rebelron, I would not neccicerily say that Melrose is the team to beat. I do think they are the best team on this half of the state. I can't believe they destroyed East the way they did. I mean of course when you play good teams and turn the ball over like that, then the score can get ugly. Nontheless, even if both teams had brought their A games, I think Melrose still wins by 2 TD's. The 4A turnament should be interesting to say the least. Now don't sleep on Memphis East, they are always in the thick of the discussion when we talk 4A ball. they will make it at least to the QTR finals this year. Melrose will probably win the rematch and then travel to Hillsboro. But lets not sleep on my good friend Buck Fitzgearld at Pearl-Cohn either. obviously they have already proven that they can beat the Burros! I would love to see a Melrose Pearl-Cohn semi-final. Both Bands will play, would love a good ole post thanksgivin' Turkey Leg in the hood

many people felt that the CBHS win over Melrose was Fraud. Not by CBHS, but by the refs who called the game. with under a minute to go Melrose 8-7. the refs bailed CBHS from the jaws of defat with a pass interfenence on 4th and 26 CBHS then Kicked a FG as the Clock expired. CBHS 10 Melrose 8. I hate it for melrose, because with all of the college prospects and the attention they get nationally, they had a super chance to get into the USA today super 25. With a loss that will likely not be possible. I cant Believe maryville hasn't gotten more national recognition with 3 consecitive state Tiles in the rugged Class 4A

Edited by memphisplayer