Small Town Schools

tackle

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wish this trend had never started.  Smaller, community schools were spit out of Metro during the late '70s and early '80s when we lost Goodlettsville, Cohn, Bellevue, Madison, DuPont, North, Joelton, East and Two Rivers.  It killed community pride and damaged all sports in Metro.  Nashville's high school sports used to draw huge crowds.  No more.  Now, we've got monster schools like McGavock and Hunters Lane.  Whites Creek's monster school sits nearly half-used.  All in the name of progress.  Go figure.

Scrappy,

I grew up in Goodlettsville, even though I didn't attend GHS (but my mother and uncles did). I learned to walk in the dust of Peay Park in Goodlettsville. And there are lots of great memories of going to football games at Madison High. What a shame those old small schools are gone. The times that I pass through in the middle of the day, I go through school zones so I am pretty sure that Goodlettsville High is now only Goodlettsville Middle School. At least that's what the sign says.

That's part of the reason I like living in Greenbrier. A small "one red light" town where Friday night football is like a big social gathering to watch the boys in Green.

When my teenage son came in and said that someone had asked why we didn't reschedule our football game to Thursday instead of on Friday since it is Halloween, his answer was "hey, Greenbrier is a Friday night football town....we'd rather reschedule Halloween!" :D

Edited by EZBeingGreen

I'm from Indiana, and I understand where you're coming from, so not more dissing Indiana people. :D Feel free to continue on those from Kentucky, tho :D

In my home county, as late as 1968 or so, we had high schools in every incorporated community, so we had Bicknell, Bruceville, Vincennes Lincoln, Decker, Decker Chapel, Oaktown, and Monroe City in a county of 14,000. They're down to 4 in a county of 18,000, and I think that's as far as they're going. Sorry about the names, I know they mean nothing to Tennessee people, just making the point.

I've got connections to New Castle...that's a LITTLE Indiana town, with big time sports.

There are plenty of small towns in TN with small schools.

Just to name a few...Collinwood, Greenback, Oneida, Copper Basin (in Copper Hill), South Pittsburg, Whitwell, Jasper (Marion County High), Forrest (Chappel Hill), Huntland and a lot more.

There are some that no longer exist like Walland, Vonore, Charleston etc.

Alabama has combined some small towns into large schools (Brigdeport & Stevenson) and most other southern states including Mississippi have combined or Consolidated as politicians like to call it.

I think you may have forgotten to put Gordonsville on your list. Although it is a little bit bigger that Greenback, we still have a very small popluation and a very good football team!! GO TIGERS!!