double play sports weekly scores knockout

helmetheadcase

Time to quit whinning. If I were Unaka's coach, I would have kept my mouth shut and exacted my "sporting" revenge at a later date.  If I had been Cloudland's coach, I would have ignored the criticism and coached my team, not the county's fans thru the papers.

Your right, it is time to quit whinning. BOTH SIDES! Both coaches, in my opinion, did, uhh, less-than-inteligent moves last week. Stuff like that happens. But its time to move on. O.K.!!!!!

Krich, I'm still waiting for that paper! :ph34r:

Edited by Rangerbook06

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang.. Krich,.. I miss Bob Potters class when they were learning about Captain Yosomoto or whatever..Your article in the Double Plays Sports was probably the best knowledgeable sports story I have ever read.. Though I had bought the wrong paper at Super Food.. The story was so good I pulled over at Danner on the side of the road and finished it.. I didn;t really understand the first time so I sit there and read it again. IT WAS GREAT. I stopped at the Vol mart and bought a second copy. I didnt want to loose one and I wanted one for my girl. I wanted her to know I went to school with this scoop. I looked for you phone number to call you and thank you for the education, but could not find it.. I will try and email you.. Again thanks for the truth.

I don't agree!  Tim was not inside Lunceford's head during the game.  I think this was a biased and judgemental article.  Tim is not coaching either team and really has made a lot of assumptions and accusations toward Coach Lunceford that he knows nothing about.  I will not do the same.  I would really like to see this die and go away. 

Tim said he struggled with this story.  Would the struggle be that he is afraid of losing the income from the Cloudland fans?  He chose to write this story in the way it was written and I can choose to never buy his paper.  Reporting the news is one thing.  Making unwarranted and hurtful statements is another.

I assume when people call you out, you better defend yourself or else the rumors will start to fly much like this board. RBC, first of all anytime you would love to discuss this with me why not call me or tell me where to meet you and we can "discuss it" but I won't write nothing "unless I can back it up." I was not biased in this article nor did I downgrade any of the Highlander players or coaching staff. As to paper sales, no one has twisted your arm and made you buy it. Buy it because you enjoy reading about Carter County sports not because of me or anyone else. I am sure that the good people of Roan Mtn. appreciate the hard work that goes into our paper. If I depended on income from this paper I would starve. I am blessed with a good job and do this as a hobby to help kids. Did I step on Coach L's toes? Yes. God forbid anyone be objective, but that's what a good reporter does they look at both sides of what happened. I also stepped on Unaka's. You might find this rather amazing RBC and Pujo but I have had several responses from Highlander fans that support the article. "Some from the parents of your own players. "It's an opinion, much like the ones you have only we choose to look at both sides and not just our own viewpoints. I find it hard to believe they would tell me one thing and you something else.

The paper contained over 4 pages of nothing but Cloudland School athletics this week. Everything we write about the Highlander kids is nothing but positive. You might want to talk to Kim "KrichUnaka" and find out what we did a few weeks back for several Highlander football players. On our way back from Asheville N.C. after we had gotten the paper printed we stopped off at Mars Hill College. My son is being recruited there but we made it a point to go to the football coach and talk to him about "Several Seniors on the Highlander football team" One was Dane Christman who we praised very highly. We gave him the players names and how to get in touch with them at the school. Do we want a pat on the back? No. We do it for the kids because we care about them. As for you, I could care less if you choose to read it or not. Did I state I was inside your coach's head? No. But maybe a part of me should have been, then we could have avoided all this discussion on Coach T. As for myself, I have chosen to move on to next week, for this game is now "water under the bridge." My telephone # is very easy to find.

I agree 100% with RBC Tim's story is called "LUNSFORD LOVE LOST ON THE CREEK". I live in RM, and I think you need a follow up story called "ENSOR LOVE LOST IN ROAN MOUNTAIN" for the Unaka coach's outburst after the game. Why didn't he want the clock to run and shorten the time of the qtr.Avery's football team got killed by a very good Owen football team and 3 Avery's players was carried of the field. What did the coach tell his players? "We played a very good team tonight and this is where we want our program to be in a few years." He did cry about the the score. You printed what one of our fans said, "pour it on". Did you want our fan not to cheer. our cheerleaders not to cheer, our band not to play, and most of all for our players not to play. There is two sides to this story.

Dang.. Krich,.. I miss Bob Potters class when they were learning about Captain Yosomoto or whatever..Your article in the Double Plays Sports was probably the best knowledgeable sports story I have ever read.. Though I had bought the wrong paper at Super Food.. The story was so good I pulled over at Danner on the side of the road and finished it.. I didn;t really understand the first time so I sit there and read it again. IT WAS GREAT. I stopped at the Vol mart and bought a second copy. I didnt want to loose one and I wanted one for my girl. I wanted her to know I went to school with this scoop. I looked for you phone number to call you and thank you for the education, but could not find it.. I will try and email you.. Again thanks for the truth.

474-2791.....sorry, creeker...it is usually inserted at the end of each article.

I have just finished reading the last 7 issues of Double Play Sports. Cloudland ought to be thankful for the coverage they get. Tim and Kim have been very gracious to your and your program. Everything they have written has been positive about your program. If you don't think it's hard to write a story, trying sitting down and doing it one night. Try getting it out before a deadline. Most of all try writing an objective story without making someone mad. You will find it a difficult job. I've read the story several times and never did he degrade your coach. He gave him credit for his x's and o's, his leadership, dedication, hard work etc.. he just pointed out something that most people with any morals already know, you don't slap someone in the face when their down. I still write for a newpaper, although I don't get to see the Highlanders play too often. But rest assured that Tim is very supportive of the Cloudland team and to Coach Lunsford. He just happen to disagree with him on this matter but I noticed he slapped at Unaka for the after game conduct. Instead of being offended we can often learn if we keep quiet and listen. Great Job Tim and good luck to both Coaches and their teams in the playoffs.

I don't agree again. Double play sports should be thankful for the success of Cloudland football. Without it, they would not do as good as they are. They have rode on Cloudland's success from the beginning. I do want to say that I wish the score were not so big, but, I also believe that it was not intentional. Every theory that has been put forth on this board and in any of the papers, "op eds" I think someone called them, are theories only. No one knows what was in the mind of either coach. Maybe (my theory) Lunceford had not thought about the punt situation and did not have time to replace Byrd at that time. After all, Ensor had not punted to him all night anyway. Maybe (my theory) Lunceford had not noticed Unaka's injury situation because he was so focused on his own team, where his focus should have been.

Double play has an opinion that I don't agree with because they don't know all the facts, which I do not know either. I feel like Double Play should have done a lot more research before this article was written and Don't tell me you didn't have time.

Now, Tim, are you calling me out or are you making a request for a conversation? Sure did sound kind of threatening to me. You don't want to do that. I see nowhere in my post where I called you out. CoachT frowns on that.

Edited by RBC

I don't agree again.  Double play sports should be thankful for the success of Cloudland football.  Without it, they would not do as good as they are.  They have rode on Cloudland's success from the beginning.

I believe that is the most arrogant statement I have ever read on coach T. You are actually saying that cloudland football has "carried" Double-Play sports to the point they are at now? I hate to burst your little bubble of vanity, but D-P readers (other than roan mtn.) could give a cats' butt less about the mighty landers. They buy the paper to see their son/daughter, etc. getting coverage they might not otherwise get in the larger papers. Carter County is proud as heck to have a team contending for the state championship, as am I. But don't fool yourself into thinking that D-P success is dependent upon cloudland success. To quote Mike Tyson, "Thats just ludicrous".

I remember not too long ago when a certain D-P writer with the nom de plume of "Blaze", ripped apart happy valley, and Hampton with scathing, insinuating remarks, while singing the praises of highlander football. Tim and Kim's reporting sound like the remarks of choir boys compared to his, yet he (Blaze) was embraced in roan mountain. Keep up the good reporting Double-Play.

Edited by groundround

Yea, shame on you RBC. No one has called you out but yourself which you have made a fool of. I think there are several areas covered by Double Play Sports including Hampton, Erwin, Elizabethton, Johnson County, Unaka, Happy Valley.... do I need to go on? Arrogant of you to think that any one area covers the papers cost... really kinda "dumbo". DPS, I'm sure, relies on all of the areas to stay in operation and we are all lucky to have another source for sports news. I get tired, myself, of reading the same ole stuff in the STAR and JC PRESS, so it is refreshing to get some other news and other looks at situations from people who write the TRUTH (in their opionion), which is what this country is based on. Good grief, grow up! :D