Lebanon Theft Scandal

toejamwarrior

OK, you liberal freaks! Stealing is not a prank. It is a crime. I really don't believe these players intended to return the helmets before they got caught. Yeah, they did return the helmets, after they got caught and were forced to return them! A prank is more like taking your friend's hat and then hiding it and watch them squirm until you break down and tell them where it is. A prank is calling someone and playing a funny joke that BOTH parties will laugh about when it is revelaed that it is just a joke. I do no believe that Lavergne and Blackman are laughing because some helmets were stolen from them. Matter of factly, I would be willing to bet that both schools are pretty upset. Prank or no prank. Theft is a crime, not a prank. I would believe it that this was a prank if the players took the helmets back a day later, but it's not very likely that would have happened. Yeah, I have pranked people all my life, but I have never stolen anything with criminal intent. Call me a liar, but I also believe the Bible says "Thou shalt not steal". So, tell God it's not wrong.

Thank you and God Bless.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Year 2000, Mount Juliet @ Cookeville. Battle for the playoffs. MJ's locker is broken into and numerous players' property was stolen. I'm talking cellphones, money, CDs, CD Players, watches, necklaces, anything these THIEVES could get their hands on. What happened you ask?? COOKEVILLE HIGH SCHOOL PAID EVERY BIT OF WHAT WAS STOLEN BACK TO THESE PLAYERS. EVEN A $10 CHECK WAS SENT FOR A NECKLACE. I will have to say that I respect the administration at this school. They took a stand, and did what was right. I am also confident that they took care of whoever was responsible for these actions. I also believe the police were involved with helping MJ out in any way they could. SO I believed a precedent has been set. Let's follow it!

OK, you liberal freaks! Stealing is not a prank. It is a crime. I really don't believe these players intended to return the helmets before they got caught. Yeah, they did return the helmets, after they got caught and were forced to return them! A prank is more like taking your friend's hat and then hiding it and watch them squirm until you break down and tell them where it is. A prank is calling someone and playing a funny joke that BOTH parties will laugh about when it is revelaed that it is just a joke. I do no believe that Lavergne and Blackman are laughing because some helmets were stolen from them. Matter of factly, I would be willing to bet that both schools are pretty upset. Prank or no prank. Theft is a crime, not a prank. I would believe it that this was a prank if the players took the helmets back a day later, but it's not very likely that would have happened. Yeah, I have pranked people all my life, but I have never stolen anything with criminal intent. Call me a liar, but I also believe the Bible says "Thou shalt not steal". So, tell God it's not wrong.

Thank you and God Bless.

This is a touchy subject. Stealing things from the opponets locker room is a prank that is almost as old as football. When you say that you have never stolen anything with criminal intent, I think taking something from an opponets lockeroom is done without criminal intent.

Its not like the boys were going to sell the helmets and buy drugs and guns to fund terrorists organizations. :ph34r:

YES theft is a bad thing, and if the boys get caught they should be punished but I think this was done in light hearted fun. This type of thing should be something that is discouraged and punished but just by and smack on the wrist, noone should go to jail for taking something from a teams lockerroom.

Prank calls are also an offense punishable by law.

Now I dont know the situations you speak of I was just commenting on things in general so I could be sadly mislead.

Yes a prank call is punishable by law. But could it be punishable if no one notifies the police. I don't think the person being pranked on a phonecall will call the police unless it is threatening and they have no clue of who is calling. Usually when I prank call someone, they figure its me and start dying laughing. No I also don't believe the players would sell the helmets for drugs and fund terrorists. The fact of the matter is, they didn't steal these helmets with the intent of going to the school and giving them back and seeing the other teams' coaches laugh histerically about it. If they did, they should be checked for mental competency. In other words, no coach is going to laugh about some equipment being stolen from his school.

Edited by toejamwarrior

I'm not going to pretend to know the intentions of these boys or the details of what happened. I'd just like to touch on some of the things said here. Is theft a prank? I think it has to do with intent. Did the helmets get returned immediately, without force? Should a school settle for an apology? Was it heartfelt, or remorse for getting caught? Also, some schools are so limited that if they lost 3 helmets, someone sits the bench. Our school has 2 helmets that fit my son, the other is used by another player. What happens if one of those 2 disappear? Someone sits the bench. Both are seniors, with colleges looking at them. Could destroy any chance to play later. Our weightroom was broken into several years ago, most of the equipment stolen. The team finally got a weightroom back this year, after 4 years. Even if it was a "prank", it could still have been extremely harmful. That's my point.

I am going to respond as the parent of a Lebanon High School Football Player. My son was NOT involved with the incident in question.

I'll also say this again for the final time - you don't have all the facts in this matter and espousing without them is foolish.

The players in question did a stupid thing and they will tell you that.

They took things from a freshman locker room.

Why?

Apparently because it is a "prank" that they saw others do - yes, OTHERS.

Spoils of victory.

As for the punishment, it was meted out by the principal, not just the coach.

This matter was not hushed up in the locker room - these boys are paying a public price for their stupidity.

An unethical coach would have swept it under the rug - as others in this region have done and are doing - and gone about his merry way to beat Smyrna this week for the #2 spot in the region.

Lebanon now has an ethical coach who cares as much about the players and their future and what they get out of football.

For the last time I will state - get the facts if you want to speak on the subject - call the school and voice your opinion where it counts - there isn't anything that can be done about it here except twisting words and beating your chest.

"He who is without sin, cast the first stone."

Guest region4fan

Okay, CECE. AGAIN, I implore you to tell us what exactly happened, what punishment was doled out by the admisistrators, and the coach, and what exactly was stolen. In my book, the teams allowed your team in their facilities in good faith. It is bad enough to lose, but to see that things have been stolen from you in "the spoils of Victory" makes an even worse taste in one's mouth. Now you are sure hinting that you know that other schools in opur region have done the same. Before you start casting your stones, YOU BETTER HAVE FACTS to back it up. You are quick to point fingers, and speculate. Let's see what you can reveal.AND just because other schools SUPPOSEDLY did it does NOT mean it is the right thing to do. You know the expression about jumping off of a building////////

Also Lebanon played Lavergne and Blackman weeks ago ,3-4 to be exact. If the kids were going to fess up to their little prank, they would have already done so. It is difficult to sweep things under the carpet when other schools are involved who are the victims. From what I understood, both LHS and BHS had already put two and two together and were closing in. I hope that these boys learn to keep their paws off, especially if they are college bound and going to play football.

Region4Fan I think this subject has no meaning to you and you are poking your head where it isnt needed. CeCe came on here to tell everyone the situation is being taken care of. Enough said, she is a parent at the school with a son on the team so I bet she has a better understanding then all of us. She shoudlnt have to explain to you anything, it is very cowardly of you to come on here and demand what happened. The kids are learning, and I bet they are paying for it in practice and at home. The helmets were returned the teams they were stolen from are big enough schools that they didnt need an extra two or three helmets. I bet the kids had to make an apology and playing time could be cut. So just let the coaches and administrators take care of the situation because all you are doing is trying to add more gasoline to the fire. We have all done stupid stuff in our life, and we had to pay the consequences and I know these kids will be better people because of it. Yes the kids committed a crime, they got caught and it will be taken care. Region4Fan have u ever sped while driving? If you did, did u get caught everytime? Probably not, Speeding is more serious than stealing a couple of helmets, speeding could result in death. I have done these things and realize it. So dont come on here and ridicule kids for there stupid mistakes.