Super 7

Redtwin

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody needs to turn the light on in here. Was that one top 10, 5A team you have listed.  Pretty impressive!  Maybe the so called "Super Seven" should have played the likes of Lincoln Co., Riverdale, Brentwood, Oak Ridge, DB, etc. Before you start claiming "Best in State"  You guys need to get a life!

Those teams all have Mommas that don't want their boys getting hurt. That is why TSSAA seperated out the Super 7. Also those teams coaches need to keep their jobs and a BIG "L" doesn't help.

LC might be Super 7 material - they don't seem to have as many protective mommas and coaches.

Edited by blu

Truthfully? Or CoachT-party line?

Extremely disappointed in the MBA/BA game:

MBA lost the high national ranking--although I think USA Today quite "generous" at # 25...strangely Trinity's resurgence may be the real issue.

MBA had not improved from the game I caught: their blocking and especially, tackling, atrocious. Their unrelenting pass rush versus Trinity, not there. BA ran the ball like a Texas team or DLS.

The attendance at the game: terrible...in SC that'd been 15,000, given the magnitude of the rivalary. Gee, I love you guys and the passion you and "The Reds" bring here, but more bodies in the stands, please?

The TV announcing stunk--as said here. Almost as bad as Amani T. phone-job in ESPN's AC/DLS.

Bad snaps on critical punts, missed short FG's, questionable play calling/QB decision making.

The polls have discrepancies that I cannot understand: Palm Bay, Summerville higher than Byrnes, GA teams too high, CO and AZ represented and Texas underrepresented, Kahuku on some, off others.

Bottom Line: Texas Reg.ll, Dist. 11--should produce National Champ even though multiple loses.

One game versus DLS if you need a loss.

Make a Point to Reappoint the Disappoint. GO BA, GO MBA--Top 20!

this is one take far less informed than 64TNChamp:

I think BA and MBA truly can compete with anyone. I've seen some of the better hs football programs, largely in Southern CA (Helix in the SD area when Reggie Bush was playing for them)...my opinion is based on this: high school football is about discipline, technique, and strength...of course, every now and then a team with a couple of sicko athletes rolls around but I'll still take consistency down the roster...

MBA (haven't seen BA's in many years, but I'm assuming this all applies) has a strength program that is second to none in terms of either facilities or methodology (LIGHT years today from when I was there). Plus, many kids start MBA in 7th grade and grow up with this program where the highest standards of technique are taught from day 1 through high school...mix in a couple of really special athletes (Ingle Martin, Hunter Hillenmyer, etc.) and you have a serious team...I think this is De La Salle's formula, whom I saw play in 2001, and I think BA of '95-'96 or MBA of '99 could have beaten...I think all three are similar...

just from observing some really good So-Cal teams, they have a few really good athletes, and a couple of good players, and a lot of mediocre players...

JMO...

64, do I get the impression you think that the DLS streak may end this year?

What do you think about Independence? They don’t seem to have skipped a beat since Leak graduated, but unapproved website.com apparently thinks they play a soft schedule. I’d love to see one our East Tennessee powerhouses (Maryville, D-B, et al.) play them to see where we stack up. I know Austin-East played them in 2001 and got spanked (77-14, I believe, yet A-E still won the 3A title that year), but I’d like to think (and do think) that MHS and DB are better than A-E.

Edited by rollredroll

MBA Alum,

SD football didn't really compare to the Mater Dei/Poly, mid/late-90's LA teams. The '95 DLS team my 10th favorite of the streak might have been vulnerable, although the '96 my third favorite and I think maybe one of the best all-time...check their scores on delasallesports. 1999 finished 3rd in the Nation and I thought underrated. The truly great teams have 5,6, or 7 legitimate D1 players per year (not Cal Poly, Davis, Middle Tenn. State) and most start immediately, e.g. Maurice Drex at UCLA.

Roll,

Pittsburg (7-0-1) is tough...but, I think the Spartans can go undefeated. DLS's final foe in the playoffs is ususally San Leandro (33-3 over the last three years--guess about the losses), but they are having a bad year. Oddly, St. Francis may have been the toughest opponent on DLS's schedule (I hate SF). Don Bosco, I sax Sat, should have been the first DLS game of the season, but negotiations broke as financial crisis hit California.

You should go to a playoff/ season like California--it'd end all this Catholic, private, public yapping here. You should see Los Gatos, a public school, hammer those big-time Catholic schools of the Silicon Valley (St. Francis).

Boys, let's go to Miami this Fri. to see some football, have a beer?

let me rephrase that: the 2001 DLS team I saw could have been beaten by the '99 MBA team or the '95-'96 BA teams...that's COULD have been beaten, not WOULD have been beaten...I saw similar athletes...I hate to be pimping BA, but those two teams could have competed with any DLS team (again, based on the sample data I have: the 2001 team)...that team was LOADED with D-1 talent...maybe the most I've ever seen in TN on one team...

agree re: SD football, but, during the Super Bowl week last year, they pointed out in the Union Trib that San Diego has more players on NFL rosters than any city in the country (they were liberal with their definition of SD, though)...

it's interesting because one of my good friends went to LA-Loyolla...we had this debate ad nauseum in college...again, I think the DLS's, MAter Dei's and MBA/BA's of the world win for the same reasons...

anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing Gutierrez starting for the Maize and Blue next year!!!

Waco, you base your assumptions of MBA on the 2001 and 2002 teams. 2001 was the worst team MBA has had since 1994. McCallie, CBHS, MUS, BA all killed them that year. It would be like playing Baylor this year.

Thank you, Redtwin. I've already tried explaining this to them. They don't seem capable of comprehending. Beating the MBA team of the first half (or maybe even 3/4) of 2002 (which D-B wasn't even able to do....yet, BGA and Baylor did) would be the equivalent of beating Baylor or Ryan this year. The 2001 team....which D-B did beat....went 6-4. Neither was close to the "cream of the crop" in Super 7.

Hey, 64TNChamp, enjoyed your comments. A question, though....if MBA's blocking and tackling were "atrocious" and BA ran the ball "like a TX team or DLS", then how come MBA averaged more yards per carry (at 5.6) than BA did? MBA is simply more balanced. Without comparing football state to state, which is so hard to do, I doubt there are 25 teams as capable of running OR throwing the ball as well as MBA is. Some could obviously throw for 300 a game regularly and some could easily run for 300 a game, but I doubt there are many as balanced.

Edited by BigRedBud

MBA (haven't seen BA's in many years, but I'm assuming this all applies) has a strength program that is second to none in terms of either facilities or methodology (LIGHT years today from when I was there). Plus, many kids start MBA in 7th grade and grow up with this program where the highest standards of technique are taught from day 1 through high school...mix in a couple of really special athletes (Ingle Martin, Hunter Hillenmyer, etc.) and you have a serious team...I think this is De La Salle's formula, whom I saw play in 2001, and I think BA of '95-'96 or MBA of '99 could have beaten...I think all three are similar...

Everything that you said about MBA applies to Maryville. They have the facilities, the programs, the feeder teams (much younger than 7th grade), a few good athletes, great coaching, the tradition, everything.

I would agree that the Super 7 is the most competitive from top to bottom. However, I don't think that means that the Super 7 champion is automatically the best team in the state. It's always debatable.

I would agree that the Super 7 is the most competitive from top to bottom. However, I don't think that means that the Super 7 champion is automatically the best team in the state. It's always debatable.

You almost summarize my entire point. My point is that there is not a better classification in all of tennessee high school football. That being said, the super 7 state champion is not always the best team in the state (i.e. last year). However, due to the strength of the conference I think it is fair to say that some years the super 7 champ is the best team in the state even if they have lost one or two games within the conference. I think BA, MBA, and CBHS (LC is right up there) are the best three teams in the state. I honestly beleive whoever brings home the crown is top dog in TN.