Antioch vs Centennial

bud

One thing that people forget about Antioch, is just how darned good their defense is. They gave up 12 points to Gallatin, 20 to Hillsboro (who averages 40+), and 16 to Hunters Lane (who lit Gallatin up for 56 on the road six days prior). They have a strong front 4 and a very athletic, ball-hawking secondary. Glencliff (and this must have been letdown city) was the only team to put up 28 on them. I just don't see Centennial scoring in bunches against them.

Another thing about the Coker deal is that he can be contained, but eventually, like pressure on pipes, he'll bust out. He is the king of 1 yard, 3, yard, 5 yard, 2 yard, -1 yard, 4 yard, no gain, then..........bam 65 yards and a TD. Hunters Lane bottled him up pretty good last week, but they have tremendous team speed. And he still busted a 50 yard TD on them. Centennial has to make this a slop fest like Gallatin did, win the field position battle, and be sure tacklers. Gregory does a great job over there and I'm sure he'll have them ready to play.

Another thing that teams have been doing is kicking the ball short to Antioch to keep Coker, Brown, Graham, and Co from returning. However, Hunters Lane continuously gave them the ball at the 40 and gave up field position. Question is, does Centennial have a kicker that can put the ball in the end zone on kickoffs??

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Centennial twice and their kicker delivered three of the hardest hits I've seen all year. Against Brentwood, he de-cleated a kick returner on the sidelines twice and he rocked one of Kenwood's guys after about a 50-yard return that must've sent him flying five yards in the air. I don't know whether that's good - or bad.

Antioch's return unit is very strong. Most teams won't even kick it deep to them. Hunters Lane wouldn't and Gallatin stopped doing it. Coker had a game-turning runback called back against Gallatin because of a clip. Also, Graham is a very good punt returner. They seem to work really hard on their special teams. Their coach was a kicker at TTU, so he works hard on the kicking game. They lost their kicker to a broken leg in the Beech game, so their placekicking isn't as strong, but the other fascets are pretty good.

Antioch's return unit is very strong. Most teams won't even kick it deep to them. Hunters Lane wouldn't and Gallatin stopped doing it. Coker had a game-turning runback called back against Gallatin because of a clip. Also, Graham is a very good punt returner. They seem to work really hard on their special teams. Their coach was a kicker at TTU, so he works hard on the kicking game. They lost their kicker to a broken leg in the Beech game, so their placekicking isn't as strong, but the other fascets are pretty good.

The kicking game did get dealt a big blow with the loss of kicker Zindan Garmavi. But Jr. Justin Scobey has stepped in pretty well. He is averaging 32.0 yds/punt and has been hitting PATs and FGs. This game could come down to special teams and field position. Coker, Brown, Sr. Terry Williams,and SO Rashard Rogers are the most dangerous return unit this side of the Mississippi River. All four run 4.4 or better, and can hit the smallest seam and go for big yardage. The defense has been the key to Da Bears resurgence this season. DTs Japhet Odigie and Taylor Bradford should be nominated for the Mr. Football-Lineman award. These two have combined for 17 sacks and have wrecked havoc on all opposing lineman. These two guys are so good, they seem like they are a part of the opposing offense because they are in the backfield so much. Take DEs Ricky Williams, Clifton Bone,and Jeremy Woods, who are all quick and over 6'2",and the front four will have a field day on the run. Then if you do get past the line, you have the solid play and hard-hitting of Jerrod Edmondson and Josh Johnson. Both of these players should be playing post-high school. Then the bad part about it, if you get that far, don't expect to get to far, because every DB will run you down from behind. Centennial had better bring an outstanding game and a few 4-leaf clovers to win this because Antioch team is loaded.

centennial has been able to run on every team they have played except for franklin that is right.. i guess it is gonna be if centennial defense can hold coker and their speed.. but i think centennial would do there best and hopefully do a good job of holding the ball and keeping antiochs offense off the field... good luck

they were not able to run on BGA

Oh yes they were... they just dug themselves too big of a hole early in the game... they've moved it well against everyone, EVEN Franklin... just not for the entire game... which has been their problem... if they put together four quarters like they have in their five wins (and against Brentwood), then get a solid defensive effort, things will be looking good in Cougar land...