Parent Volunteer Coaches

Sportster

With budget cuts in most systems, this may be a necessity. Or they may not be able to get an assistant that will except little or no pay to dedicate the enormous amount of time involved. I also think that a parent assistant is really difficult on their child, and I mean by the aquisitions that this may be the only reason they are on the team or getting playing time. It's a hard call but sometimes necessary, just depends on how the coach handles the situation.

The way I see it the cons have to outweigh the Pro's by far. It has to create an atmosphere of animosity on each team. I cant imagine being the paid head coach and have to coach my on child much less be a "volunteer" and have coach them. Plus it seems that often times the volunteer assistant coach seems to allow their roll go to their head.

Before it is said the school that I am assoiated with doesnt have volunteer assistants however I have observed some strained situations at other schools involving the use of volunteer coaches.

Speaking with the voice of experience, I have been a volunteer coach. From my own experience, I can tell you that I would rather be a parent-in-the-stands any day.

You cannot paint the entire concept with one big brush, but I think that if it is handled correctly, parents helping the team is a good thing. There are good and bad people in anything you do. When you have one bad situation, it typically over rides any good things that have happened over years of time.

I will not have the opportunity to coach my child again, however when I was involved, I put in a great amount of work and time in that most people never did appreciate. It was all about them and their child.