Are there TOO MANY TEAMS in the playoffs?

tee1up

Yes :)

Small world, your old friend from Morgan County Commission here. Knew you were a big Riverdale Fan. Don't know about your plan though. Our small school classification nearly always puts us in competition with the privates. The other classes really don't have that problem. Good to hear from you Dave. Remeber, bull sessions at local restraunts, and other places gets you on the commission.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the way the playoffs are set up, most of the time. It gives teams who may have talent but had some unlucky close games a chance to stay competitive. A 4 stage playoff system gives the unlucky teams a chance and its a test for the big teams to show that they can win with pressure. The only thing i would change would be a comlete public-private split and I would rotate the regions that play each other- let regions 5 and 6 play 1 and 2 and let regions 3 and 4 play 7 and 8...it would mix things up a little more and spread the competition better.

Our small school classification nearly always puts us in competition with the privates. The other classes really don't have that problem. Good to hear from you Dave. Remeber, bull sessions at local restraunts, and other places gets you on the commission.

Reason for the multiplier. Plus less classifications means more teams per district/region, hopefully giving schools more 'equal' teams to play against. As it is now with public-private split and 5 public classifications, the smaller schools have fewer other smaller schools to go against so the 'non-recruiting' privates presence is 'felt more'. See what I mean?

And next commission race is 2006... :)

Dave,

I understand what you mean when our team Coalfield was put out of the playoffs by the ONLY non recruiting private school in the region. In eastern TN. there are not many non recruiting privates in 1a, there are still plenty publics to play (our region alone has six plus one non recruiting private), Region 1, does not have any, and the South Pitt region is competitive. Problem is down in your neck of the woods. If you take out the all the privates a make their own division they would have to travel too far to play in their class. This to me appears to be the sticking point. Still haven't figured who I am?

If you take out the all the privates a make their own division they would have to travel too far to play in their class.

So what!? That's the poison THEY chose by going private. In other states, when public and private schools split, two leagues were formed....and they play amongst themselves, regardless of the length of the drives. Tough to have it both ways. Multipliers are not a good solution. It doesn't matter what the enrollment is if you are paying kids to come play. When you can go anywhere you want and pick the players you want, it doesn't matter if you only have 100 kids in school. No multiplier is going to compensate.

As far as there being too many teams in the playoffs, this reminds me of a truism I heard years ago. When faced with a situation that you can't figure out and it seems to be illogical, look to the financial angle. MONEY talks, and money influences decisions in America every day....and the TSSAA is no exception. Their decisions have to have a financial consideration. MO teams = MO money

Money may not be everything, but it is way ahead of whatever is in second place.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I am for a split. I have seen too may good 1a schools (these are the schools mainly effected) knocked out of a playoff/championship because they were up a gainst a private school that had 1)recruited by giving a scholarship like a small college, and 2) had more money to purchase better training equiptment, pay coaches more (allowing for better, and more motivation for coaches), and affordindg to travel to these championships in comfort (not being tired from travel allowing for a better effort). What I was refering to above is the sticking point and until the TSSAA gets past the political effort by the privates and their argument above then it will not change. Further number 2 in my statement comes into play here because the money factor also plays in this decision. How? I 'm not sure but money talks and B-------- walks.

Edited by CYJacket

Also what would be cool is keeping the current format, but having each division's state champ put into a playoff bracket with all the other state champs, and that would decide the best team in the state. However, that would probably make football season too long. Just a thought.

I agree with the suggestion of having 1 state champion. That would solve all of this bickering and chest puffing about who is REALLY the best. Put 'em head to head and let 'em play it out.

As for it being too long...NAW! The teams that go that far have fans that will go with 'em.

I say let 'em play to the last man standing takes it all!

ALLAROUND,

Good job, you deserve a big, tender, juicy stake! Excellent point re: these message boards, i.e. 90% is simply saber rattling. Someone needs to address the "Why" of diminishing fan support (cf: "crowd" at MBA/BA)...If one puts a quality "product" on the field, "They will come," e.g. at last year's De LaSalle- Long Beach Poly game, 1:00pm PST Saturday, Giants were playing NLS game, Stanford had PAC 10 opponent in Palo Alto, San Jose State had quality opponent, and HS game drew almost 20,000.