Price Era Over At Moore County

PowerSoftball

Well Ela, lets see, Spring Hill 3A that year going on 4A against little ole 1A Moore County. You should have beat them.Not even to mention the huge line and the WR they had. I guess my theory was right, a coach is only as good as his assitants.

You're right about the assistants. Talent also helps! Even though Boyd is a only a 1A school, they've defeated several schools much larger. Coaching is a big part of the equation but my point is you can't go by their previous years record. The Coffee County Coach came from a program where he won only two games in 2002 and now look what he's done at Manchester (your neighbor). It wouldn't surprise me if your ex-coach Price bounces back and finds another job and finds more success than he had at MC. As a former head football coach and an offensive coordinator at a 4A school, I see there is more to it than the wins and losses. Maybe some people don't like to hear it but that is the truth. For me, it is not just a game! Of course, winning solves a lot of problems, but those kids won't remember any of those scores twenty years from now. They will remember the feeling they had being a part of something bigger than themselves. They will remember becoming men over the course of four years. They will remember thinking they couldn't make it through one more practice during summer camp, only to find themselves looking forward to camp the next year. It's all about growing up and learning how to be a man, through the victories and the defeat, the game teaches life lessons to every young boy who gives football his heart and soul.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burley,

Look out! You must be living with your eyes closed. I am sure you had some great kids on your team and I know you had some good players this year, but they didn't have a back that would play for Wayne County and no one near as good as Risner from Collinwood or even Fanning from Huntland. I also know who sunsetblvd is. He hasn't been an assitant Coach in many years and has several state play -off victories. He can judge people and talent. If he he thinks price can coach then he probably can. Price may not have been your man or right as head coach for Lynchburg. I understand that. How many years has he spent trying to build your program? I think several? Rejoice about is supposed departure, whisper names into your Directors ear, but let him rest. Until you are realistic about your talent level no Coach will be able to met your demands.

Edited by Bob

Ela, did you play high school football, did you ever lose? If you did you would remember the scores. I sure as heck do. You know your coaching theroy, it is wrong, A good caoch will win with good players. A great coach will win with good and bad players.. Look at the guy from Ezell, all those good players, bam! State champs, talent drop off, wins drop off. Yeah they made the playoffs but barley. Then look at Trousdale. And Boyd, I think they have selective enrollment. Sure you can hang with alot teams like that.

Bod you are a very ignorant man, Wayne County has one good rb, and he is the qaurter back. The risner kid,( in his own right) is good , if he is great,well you need to watch more football. You think you are so smart and know so much about MC football. Well buddy, you know nothing. Like I said Mc has no "superstars", but #1 for MC blew past him on a kickoff return like he was tied to a tree. The boy from Huntland is the best in the region. You have your own views, but quit downing players who you think are no good. WC and Cwood have a good ball player come in about every 7 years. MC always has a decent runningback. I will still take you up on that history lesson if you want it. Say good bye cause those kittens are going down this week.As Price going to win at ohter levels, NOT LIKELY!Whoever the blvd dude is, he ain't very smart or he would know Price is not very football smart. Example, he ran a draw play one time on the opening play of the game. Also, Thompson from Lincoln County tried to get Price, then he had a football talk with him. Low and behold Price failed the exam.Like I said you do not know the Price I know. Yall might as well back off on MC football because you know nothing about it.

By the way Price did not build MC, it took it over while it was winning he a chance to win a STATE TITLE. You and Ela must think it takes D1 players to win, it don't. If it did how come MC made it to CB in 99 with a average team? That team led threre self to the game! I know first hand! I was there!

Edited by BURLEY

Ela, did you play high school football, did you ever lose? If you did you would remember the scores. I sure as heck do. You know your coaching theroy, it is wrong, A good caoch will win with good players. A great coach will win with good and bad players.. Look at the guy from Ezell, all those good players, bam! State champs, talent drop off, wins drop off. Yeah they made the playoffs but barley. Then look at Trousdale. And Boyd, I think they have selective enrollment. Sure you can hang with alot teams like that.

Bod you are a very ignorant man, Wayne County has one good rb, and he is the qaurter back. The risner kid,( in his own right) is good , if he is great,well you need to watch more football. You think you are so smart and know so much about MC football. Well buddy, you know nothing. Like I said Mc has no "superstars", but #1 for MC blew past him on a kickoff return like he was tied to a tree. The boy from Huntland is the best in the region. You have your own views, but quit downing players who you think are no good. WC and Cwood have a good ball player come in about every 7 years. MC always has a decent runningback. I will still take you up on that history lesson if you want it. Say good bye cause those kittens are going down this week.As Price going to win at ohter levels, NOT LIKELY!Whoever the blvd dude is, he ain't very smart or he would know Price is not very football smart. Example, he ran a draw play one time on the opening play of the game. Also, Thompson from Lincoln County tried to get Price, then he had a football talk with him. Low and behold Price failed the exam.Like I said you do not know the Price I know. Yall might as well back off on MC football because you know nothing about it.

By the way Price did not build MC, it took it over while it was winning he a chance to win a STATE TITLE. You and Ela must think it takes D1 players to win, it don't. If it did how come MC made it to CB in 99 with a average team? That team led threre self to the game! I know first hand! I was there!

At the 1A level it takes about half the number of athletes it takes to win at 4A or 5A. But it still takes athletes! I know of terrible coaches that lose with some talent... but I also know what it's like to try to take a young team with very little talent and work them to the bone. It can be done but you must be patient. Don't expect the new coach to work miracles next year. Anyone who expects a public school coach to win 8 games a year is crazy! You play in a solid region and there will always be tough teams on your schedule.

ELA: it does take athletes at any school to compete. Moore Co has good athletes coming back for 2004. There is a drop off after that, unless players transfer from neighboring counties. Tullahoma has benefited for years with top atletes transferring from other schools. I hope Moore Co fans will support the new coach and give him a chance to get his program in place.

Burley. First, I am not giltner. Don't assume anything.

Are you a coach? What experience do you have coaching? I think Doug Price has put in 25 years of his life at Moore County coaching the youth of our county. He deserved the chance he got as the Head Football Coach at Moore County.

Again, I hope the new coach will have all the support of the community. Whoever is hired will have some folks who just don't like him. That is just the nature of the beast.

Edited by sinjin

Burley. First, I am not giltner. Don't assume anything.

Are you a coach? What experience do you have coaching? I think Doug Price has put in 25 years of his life at Moore County coaching the youth of our county. He deserved the chance he got as the Head Football Coach at Moore County.

Again, I hope the new coach will have all the support of the community. Whoever is hired will have some folks who just don't like him. That is just the nature of the beast.

;)

He was only there one year, right? I think he got his revenge twice when Spring Hill played you guys in 97 and 98. My son was QB both years!

I think your son did a two step drop on most of his passes. He was a good player if my memory serves me right. Spring Hill those two years had speed to burn those two years. In 98 was strong on the line also. ;)

I think your son did a two step drop on most of his passes. He was a good player if my memory serves me right. Spring Hill those two years had speed to burn those two years. In 98 was strong on the line also. ;)

I remember we won the first game in overtime with a short waggle pass. We had three kids with great speed and I coached the offensive line. Zach Chappell was our Junior OT that year at 270 lbs. and we had one great guard as well. The other side of the OL was about average. The 98 game was uch better than the 97 game! That was the best overall team that SH had fielded since they had their MR. Football guy back in the early 90's. Our passing game was two and three step drops with a strong I-Pro running game.

Ela, I see you are one of the coaches who loves to run the players to death and work out all year. With a small and young team you can not do that. MAybe that is way people who do not have "talent" can not win. You can not just go say hay, I going to run this offense, with these under average players come heck or high water. You half to run a system to fit the players. When Mac was here, we were not blessed with great talent then. He did not run them and work them to the bone.They worked some and ran, but he got the most out of his practices. Some did not like him, but he got respect. Please go watch Colquit at Grundy County coach this week, you will get my drift.

Well SinJin, if you are not Giltner why do use his words like "Gosh darn it", and that name came from a vollyball player. Yes Price put in years, he got his shot and missed the target. I want a good coach but if he is a man of honor and help the kids I don't care about the record. No I HATE LOSING, but with a good guy it is tolerable, Just like Lavon King. Price ruined many chances for players, If you want a list I will give them to you. No, I do not coach, but I am almost their, I watch many games, wheter its MC to Grundy, I travel everywhere, I watch , learn, and figure out plays from the stands. I just wish I had my degree, so I could turn MC around. I promise I could do no worse, and we be region champs again.

Ela, I see you are one of the coaches who loves to run the players to death and work out all year. With a small and young team you can not do that. MAybe that is way people who do not have "talent" can not win. You can not just go say hay, I going to run this offense, with these under average players come heck or high water. You half to run a system to fit the players. When Mac was here, we were not blessed with great talent then. He did not run them and work them to the bone.They worked some and ran, but he got the most out of his practices. Some did not like him, but he got respect. Please go watch Colquit at Grundy County coach this week, you will get my drift.

Well SinJin, if you are not Giltner why do use his words like "Gosh darn it", and that name came from a vollyball player. Yes Price put in years, he got his shot and missed the target. I want a good coach but if he is a man of honor and help the kids I don't care about the record. No I HATE LOSING, but with a good guy it is tolerable, Just like Lavon King. Price ruined many chances for players, If you want a list I will give them to you. No, I do not coach, but I am almost their, I watch many games, wheter its MC to Grundy, I travel everywhere, I watch , learn, and figure out plays from the stands. I just wish I had my degree, so I could turn MC around. I promise I could do no worse, and we be region champs again.

Being a head coach is a combination of skills... many of which the average public will never see! ORGANIZATION is the key! An unorganized man will be very frustrated as a head coach! You must be very organized to create an environment to teach fundamentals. Coaching high school ball is much different in many ways from teaching or coaching youth football but the fundamentals are the same at every level. Sometimes at the 1A and 2A level you don't have enough kids to do some of the things in practice that you might do at the higher level, simply because of the availability of student-athletes. Some schools struggle to field a team of 25 while others have over 50 on a squad. A knowledge of the WHOLE game helps. I am an offensive coordinator but I have to know both sides of the ball to have success. A good head coach will have experience as a coordinator (on one side of the ball or the other). A good head coach will be able to evaluate his talent. I have adapted every year to the talent that I have on offense. I started out my career as a POWER-I coach with a running attack but as I migrated to different schools I had to adapt to create a game plan and scheme that would work with smaller offensive lines, consequently, I run a combination of the I-Pro and Florida Spread offense today. I will close with this thought! UNTIL you've been an acting head coach in high school.... it is very difficult to understand what a head coach goes through in a season. I agree... you've got to work for the kids and put them first, but winning and losing can't be your only scale of success! I know some head coaches with great records but I would never want my boys playing for them! The final mark of a great coach will be in how he is remembered by his players twenty years down the road. Much of this is shaped by the parents complaints or praise, but ultimately the kids who played for a man for four years will know what he is like and if he cares for them. If he taught them character and how to get up with respect after they were down.... if he taught them how to win and lose with class... if he taught them how to persevere in life, he did his job!

BTW... I don't work my kids all year. If they want to play two or three sports, I encourage them to do so! If not, I expect them to be in the weight room!

It's a sad day for Moore co. football. I also understand that Doug's dad has given up his duties as the announcer at the football games also. To all of you that are talking down about Doug, you might ought to ask yourselves why several of the other coaches there in the past, packed there bags and left. Remember you have had some coaches in roundball to come there and ride the coat tails of some pretty good BB teams, then high tail it out of there instead of staying and trying to rebuild or reload. Doug has been there through thick and thin, dodging nothing execpt for having to put up with his own towns people turning their backs on him in time of need. What proven Coach in their Right Mind would want to take the chance of this happening to them. To a certain few of you there in Moore Co. that have been doing everything you possibly can to call the shots and run the program, just maybe you're going to get your due NOTHING. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU DOUG YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF.