Chattanooga Times Free Press

DelTavian

Meant to post this Monday when I heard but got busy.

On Friday Calvin Beam, the sports editor at the Times Free Press, received his performance review. With that review he was told to hit the door and was gone that day. So things at the TFP should be looking up and soon.

I've already talked to staff who say local coverage and high school coverage will be expanded again.

So goodbye to the worst sports editor in history....Calvin Beam. May every computer you ever touch again get viruses if you ever try to be a sports editor again. You were truly the worst in history. So long dogbreath. I won't miss you. :D

Del. :D  B)

Its ok for the powers that be with CoachT to condemn and pass insults to the media but others cannot talk negatively about others on these boards. Nice double standard CoachT.

If you are addressing me personally then all I can say is that it's about 4:30 and I'm reading this for the first time. I have no idea which other threads you are referring to but if I were you, and you truly feel that there is a double standard in place here, then I would not lower myself to coming back to this site.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the remarks Tank and Jim...Frankly your assessment is correct; editors at newspapers, generally speaking (sprinkled here and there, there are those editors who "get it") are sports retards. Al Dunning, the late sports editor at the Commerical Appeal, once told me: "Sports isn't the most important thing going on at the University of Tennessee, but it's the only thing that will bring 100,000 people to campus each week." Likewise, football isn't the most important thing going on at Red Bank or Milan or Kingston or Covington or Unaka, but it is the only thing that's going to give you hundreds of dollars of free advertising every week (headlines, photos, stories) and the only thing that will bring hundreds to your campus every week. Honestly, Maryville High School may have a Science Olympiad that draws perhaps 75 people. And let's not lose focus, academics is what it's about. But more people are going to be interested in how the Rebels do on Friday night. So one could argue that sports SHOULD be the front section (go to McDonalds or Wendys and look in the paper rack...you'll notice the sports section is always missing; likewise, you aren't reading fashion news when you are taking a squirt at O'Charleys). Unfortunately, many editors -not all, mind you - believe that sports is just "fluff" to be tolerated and that more people are interested in what goes on at the sewer commission. It's unfortunate, but that's the business. If you really want to make an impact, quit buying the paper if you aren't satisfied. If enough of you boycott, you can affect change in coverage.

Let's address these individually but in the same post.......

>>Bird-

Not real classy to have a moderator on here bashing a member of the media. Maybe we should close this thread because of Del. Maybe Del will close it himself after he realizes he cannot do what he tells others they cannot do this forum. The guy he is bashing maybe the worst that has ever lived, but keep that to yourself, Del.<<

I never claimed to be classy. And as for bashing a member of the media I figure I've got the right to since I am a member of the media myself.

And please tell me what I have told you you can't do? I don't know what anyone else has done but don't give me grief over what another mod has done to you. I usually only edit threads when there's cussing or getting on a kid.

>>Csense-

Deltavian is a dog breath.

(Just playing by deltavian's rules, here)<<

Not true! I brushed my teeth this morning and carry those breath strips around with me everywhere. :rolleyes:

>>Replace the name Calvin Beam with the coach you like the most to bash.

What is the difference Del? If I bashed any coach on this board like you just did Calvin Beam the thread would be locked!!!!!!! <<

I don't think I've ever locked a thread for someone bashing a coach unless it fell into something that CoachT had asked me to watch for. Then I did what Jim asked me to, but don't take out on me what someone else has done to you.

>>Bill73-

Better watch those strong words. The powers that be will "lock you out" from putting your comments on here. <<

I can't lock anybody out. I can only edit and lock threads.

You three seem to me like you need some diapers or something. Maybe if you bought a plus membership somebody would cut you a little slack.

So there!

Del.

Edited by DelTavian

Whats with all the controversy here guys. The bottom line is the prep coverage for the TFP has been rather bad in recent. I think everyone will admit that. If calvin was the problem then im glad he is gone. The editor has almost all control over what goes into the paper so im guessing he was the problem. I just hope the coverage will expand because these teams deserve it.

Who is this Lucky Knott?? Is it a boy or GIRL :) ??? Where does it live???? Come on greenacrers81 give me some real good dirt on this person, I promise I want let Del lock you out!!! :D By the way Del have you got a towel for all these cry babies on this post????? :)

Wasn't he one of the Three Amigos.....no wait that was Lucky Day, Ned Nederlander and ...

3a_005Dusty.jpg