Pass,Run,or Option

rebfan65

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've coached for 8 years on the freshman, jv, and varsity level. My favorite offensive attack is the inside veer (triple) and outside veer (dont forget speed option, either!) combined with a a few simple playaction and 3 step drop passes. The 2 formations I like to run from are splitbacks with 3 wide rec's or 2 splits and 2 wings (like AirForce, Navy, etc run). You don't have to have dominant offensive tackles to move the football on the ground. It really worked well for us this year QB - 900 pass, 700 rush, RHB 750 rush, LHB 725 rush. We averaged (I'm guessing here) between 30-40 points per game. You can play with it, too. I've thought about an offset I package with veer to the FB and counter trey away, but you get into trouble with the line split philosophy. (Option=W-I-D-E and grabbing all the line of scrimmage you can and the counter -trey splits=close and off the ball) The other set I like is the tight double wing such as Crockett county runs. Its a blitz-proof package that is VERY hard to stop, but you need a competitve line athletically and is pretty limited in it's base passing attack. But since you have to run a 6-5 goal line D just to slow it down, play action passes can be pretty effective! Its also about the only offense that has a chance of working against 8-9 in the box.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth!

STS

It all depends upon the level of talent and the type of talent you have. If you have speed, then the option or passing can work great. Power, then straight rushing or option. Can your quarterback run or not? Is he subject to becoming injured easily? How accurate is he and what kind of arm/release does he have? How good is your offensive line? Is the O-line more of a pass defensive based line or do they have the speed to block for the option? These are all questions the coaches have to take into consideration when trying to figure out what they want to run. Not only that, but they don't want to constantly swap between offensive styles so the younger kids develop through practice into a system so they can understand it and execute it properly with precision.

Balance, Balance, Balance. The option has had its time and can still be a useful tool in high school ball. However, the tendency is for option teams to rely on this style too much and it becomes a detriment the first time you find yourself down 14. A spread the field passing attack really makes the defense do things it doesn't want to, but it can take away from the physicality of your football team. The big uglies aren't able to fire off and your lineman on both sides seem to get a little tentative. The three yard and a cloud of dust philosophy is okay as long as you have five 270lb+ lineman and a couple of bruising tailbacks. However, this can backfire on you if you ever get down or play a team that can match your physicality or stack 10 in the box (see Centennial's win last week over a talented Antioch team, both of those factors came into play in that upset.) The best way to attack is to be balanced. In this day of passing leagues and kids throwing the ball more, there is no excuse at a 3A or above school to at least not be competent in the passing game. I'm not saying pull an Ezell Harding in 2000 and chuck it 40+ times every Friday. But I am saying that you can show just the threat of passing the ball 10-12 times every week and it makes everything you try to do on offense easier. One example is last week's Franklin-Hunters Lane 5A playoff game. Hunters Lane decides to play some nickel, taking one lineman out of the game and adding a db. Franklin struggles against this shreud coaching maneuver with their spread passing attack early and gets down 24-7 at the half. Coach Johnson makes the adjustment, counters and runs the ball more in the second half out of the spread and gets a great 28-24 comeback victory on the road. The pure threat of maybe throwing the ball dictates personnel, so when they adjust, you counter. A pure wishbone team absolutely could not do this. You just make yourself easy to scheme when you're one dimensional. To answer your question, I lean toward throwing the rock a little more, however, you still need balance and versatility to win big, unless you have far superior personnel.

I'm going to add my 2 cents in on this topic. I've watched some pretty good football teams in the last couple years. If a team has a big, fast wide out and a quarterback that can throw the ball 40 yards in the air on any given situation, I'm going to take that team and force people to cover my wideout and then stuff it to them w/ the run. My prediction for every team that wins the state is that they will have a qb that can throw it and a wr that can make the big plays.

beethoven,

if you only focus on one thing, you will be stopped due to the defense being able to focus on your one talent and prepare like wise. For example- Texas Tech- they have one of the most developed passing attacks, but because of no running game, they are average at best.

ACCARP

Trust my words. You can't be a spread it out throwing team + a power running team + an option team. Your balance needs to be within a core system.

Option Team: inside, outside, midline veer and speed is the core. Get good at those plays with the play-actions before you do anything else.

Power Team: Ice, Power, Counter, Boot. Get good at those plays with the play-actions before you do anything else.

Spread Pass: Inside, Outside zone, Counter, Speed Option. Get good at those plays with the play-actions before you do anything else.