Pass,Run,or Option

rebfan65

People can think that Ezell Harding relies only on the pass but during their 2000 championship season that had just over 3,800 yards passing....but little known they had over 2,500 hundred yards rushing.....balance might never be 50/50 or 200 yards rushing and 200 yards passing...balance is being able to run when you have to or being able to throw when you need to and everyone in the stadium knows that you have to....there is no doubt the most favorable offense for a school with small linemen is a spread type offense that features run,pass and option possibilites...one of the best all around formations is the double slot that features two wide receivers and three running backs... the pressure on the defense is that their are 4 wide receivers within one yard of the line of scrimmage, Ezell's number one running play is the lead play out of the double slot...teams can be physical and thow the football....even though Ezell's strength this year is not running the football they have had 4 or 5 games in which they have rushed over 200 yards...including last week's game in which they rushed for 279 yards in 29 carries...sometimes the threat of the pass is just as alarming as actually throwing it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is:

If you stop Nebraska's, Wartburgs, whoever's option game; you stop them.

If you stop Texas Tech's, and 2 years ago Boyd Bucannan's passing game; you stop them.

If you stop Hillsboro's, and last years OS teams running game, you stop them.

So basically what I'm saying is... you have to have a good balance of at least one passing and 1 rushing attack to be really successful.

ACCARP

All I know is:

If you stop Nebraska's, Wartburgs, whoever's option game; you stop them.

If you stop Texas Tech's, and 2 years ago Boyd Bucannan's passing game; you stop them.

If you stop Hillsboro's, and last years OS teams running game, you stop them.

So basically what I'm saying is... you have to have a good balance of at least one passing and 1 rushing attack to be really successful.

ACCARP

Thats all I've said as well. If they are stuffing the run then play-action 3 step, etc... But you can't be any good at the option/power/spread pass/etc... unless you committ the practice time to it. Being efficient at everything is a pipedream. Your only hope is to be meidocre with your execution and have the athletes to overcome that limitation.

Me perspnally, I like to go double tight and splitbacks and just pound it out. Plus if you execute it correctly, you can run the trap all night long. But I also feel the need to have a QB with a strong arm, and about 3-4 fast recievers who can catch so I can spread them out and get in the gun for long yardage situations or even run a draw play to catch the defense off guard. I plan on becoming a coach so I have no clue if this will be the same Philosophy six years from now.

all three can be just as effective as each other. i would say having a good option team with a good qb will bring you far with lesser talent than any of them though in high school. the power teams are always too predictable. take for instance lewis co. they are always really good but they run into one team in the playoffs every year that is a good run defense team and they can't break out of the run game enough to overcome the defense and they lose. to be really good at any of the three, you have to break out of the system a little bit and open up the offense. if you can do that, you will be hard to stop.

Stack it up, tell your boys what you want done, let em do it, and watch as execution makes things happen. Even if a team is predictable, good execution cannot be stopped. I personally am a fan of the run first, pass second school. If you establish ground dominance, play-action is where the money is. So says Lee Corso :P

The offense that I have increasingly become a fan of is the two TE, 2WR, One back set. Now, I know at the smaller high schools, you're probably not going to have the personnel, especially to play 2 good tight ends. What this offense does is balance the defense out and make them show their cards as to what they are trying to do to you. The Titans have used this for years and UT ran it last week on some of their best running plays (The first time I've seen them run it this season.) You can run and throw out of it effectively. I realize that those guys are collegiates and professionals, but I'd say that getting proficient at zone blocking out of the one back set and being able to run the bootleg to either side off of it give you a good balance.

The offense that I have increasingly become a fan of is the two TE, 2WR, One back set. Now, I know at the smaller high schools, you're probably not going to have the personnel, especially to play 2 good tight ends. What this offense does is balance the defense out and make them show their cards as to what they are trying to do to you. The Titans have used this for years and UT ran it last week on some of their best running plays (The first time I've seen them run it this season.) You can run and throw out of it effectively. I realize that those guys are collegiates and professionals, but I'd say that getting proficient at zone blocking out of the one back set and being able to run the bootleg to either side off of it give you a good balance.

I love that set too. It's the one I use on NCAA 2004 :P The balance allows you to shift the play at the line very easily. This is very good at fouling up opposing defensive strategies..