Maryville vs. Chatt. Central

mrebel171113

The final score of the game was Maryville 27 Chatt. Central 9. But the thing that amazes me the most was how hard chatt. central fought. You guys kept it a close game until the last quarter. Yall have a great program, lots of talent, and a lot of class as well. A few players that impressed me was #2. (He has a tremendous amount of speed). Your quarterback was incredible. (He had tons of 6-7-8 and 9 yard gains). Your number 52 or 53, I cant remember the number, WAS HUGE! Neways, great game. If you had to go down, that was the way to do it. Great season. Good luck to you next year!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job by the Pounders tonight. They gave Maryville all they wanted. You guys have a 1st. class program. Maryville appeared to be really beat up tonight! Did not show the usual high intensity level that Maryville Football is known for. But a win is a win! It only gets tougher from here!

Must refocus now Rebels for Knoxville Central! Great job tonight!

Nice job Chattanooga Central. Except for Hixson, no other Chattanooga area team has ever put quite as much a scare in us as y'all did tonight.

It was 13-9 us going into the fourth quarter. But Chatt. Central was driving the ball well downfield, they were on our 15 or somewhere abouts, and they had a pretty good chance to score and lead. There was only about 6 minutes left. But, we held them on fourth down and we got the ball back, and our running back McCord (who had fumbled on the previous series and given Central pretty good field position) busted through their defense for what I think was a 75-yard touchdown run. So, it was suddenly 20-9 and then we pushed them back to their own 5-yard line on their next drive & and we intercepted a badly thrown pass and our defensive end Jeffrey Smith, Jr. (son of a former pro player) scored. So the final was 27-9 but it was a lot closer game than the score indicated. Good game, and we've won 38 straight games now dating back to 2001.

Next Friday's game will be a doozy because the Rebels play Knoxville Central and they nearly beat us earlier in the year - that was a double overtime game and we won by three points (27-24) - after they kicked a field goal, we went ahead and scored a touchdown on a run. And now, we gotta play them again.

But Chatt. Central certainly knew how to make it seem like the playoffs already.

Phil

Maryville is not playing well at all at this time. And this is not taking anyting away from Central because they played an outstanding game. Put their db's on an island and brought eight and nine in the box. Maryville played a good game at Knox Central. Pulled their starters mid way through the first quarter at clinton, ended up having to put them back in for a series and have not played well since. And don't call me spoiled. I have watched Maryville play for close to forty years and they just do not seem to have the intensity this year in the playoffs. They will have to refocus before next week or they will be in trouble. Chatt Central ran basically the same four or five running plays out of the shotgun the whole game. Threw very seldom. But as one coach said a long time ago if you get four yards every play you never have to punt. That is basically what they did. The game got close late in the first half when Maryville scored and took a 13-3 lead. They tried an on sides kick and recovered but the refs ruled they touched the ball before it went ten yards and central got field position and scored to make it 13-9 and the battle was on. Maryville continues to lose players. Safety dave garner tore his acl tonight and is of course done for the year. Maryville is not near as loaded as last year and has done very well to go undefeated up to this point. Regardless of how they finish out They have taken a rebuilding year and made another good run. I am proud of our team, but this is just my opinion.

Edited by mhs

Anspa, it was back when Hixson had the Bullocks brothers in their senior year. We played them in the first round, and Andrew Baumann, our kicker, had to win that one for us - yes, the score was that close. I think it must've have been 2000, the year we lost the first four games then went on to win state anyway.

Hixson was our toughest opponent in the playoffs that year. We went on to beat teams like Red Bank, Greeneville, and Memphis East all pretty easily.

Maryville is not playing well at all at this time. And this is not taking anyting away from Central because they played an outstanding game. Put their db's on an island and brought eight and nine in the box. Maryville played a good game at Knox Central. Pulled their starters mid way through the first quarter at clinton, ended up having to put them back in for a series and have not played well since. And don't call me spoiled. I have watched Maryville play for close to forty years and they just do not seem to have the intensity this year in the playoffs. They will have to refocus before next week or they will be in trouble. Chatt Central ran basically the same four or five running plays out of the shotgun the whole game. Threw very seldom. But as one coach said a long time ago if you get four  yards every play you never have to punt. That is basically what they did. The game got close late in the first half when Maryville scored and took a 13-3 lead. They tried an on sides kick and recovered but the refs ruled they touched the ball before it went ten yards and central got field position and scored to make it 13-9 and the battle was on. Maryville continues to lose players. Safety dave garner tore his acl tonight and is of course done for the year. Maryville is not near as loaded as last year and has done very well to go undefeated up to this point. Regardless of how they finish out They have taken a rebuilding year and made another good run. I am proud of our team, but this is just my opinion.

That stinks about Garner's injury. All of our seniors are having a tough time with the injury bug this year it seems. I was shocked to see that Matt Valentine (not a senior, he's a soph., but still a valuable asset at middle linebacker nevertheless) was out this game, I wasn't surprised that Central could run the ball so well on us because if you'll look at our linebacking corps right now, they ain't intimidating size-wise at all. Then of course we're missing Chris Large and Ryan Headrick. Andrew Hodge and Parnells have also been nicked a couple of times. It's hard to be intense when you're hurting.

I was surprised at how off our quarterbacks were. Andrew Clement kept getting open and they kept either overthrowing or underthrowing him, or throwing the ball too hard for him to catch. Just not a good passing night for us at all.

What the heck was that all about at the end with them handing the ball off to our third-string quarterback Kat Kimsey at running back on consecutive plays? I guess that's Quarles' verison of being merciful. I would've given Tallent a couple of balls instead, myself.

Edited by Philster043

I think they have moved kimsey to running back. When Thompson and Rouse come out Freshman Derek Hunt comes in at qb. He played most of the second half at Clinton. I heard from some players that Cade's shoulder was giving him real problems the week leading up to the Knox Central game. Another poster said he still seems dinged up and I tend to agree. Valentine was held out tonight as precautionary measure and should be back next week. We are smallish at LB though and getting thinner and thinner on the defensive line. Our kids never quit though and I am very proud of them. They could easily have a loss by now but simply refuse to lose. They have tons of heart and and that goes a long way.

I don't see Maryville beating Hillsboro or Melrose this year. I am still a Maryville fan, but Hillsboro is just too darn good at running the ball and Maryville for some reason cannot stop the run for the life of them. Most the middle and west teams will throw the wing-t at us and we can't stop it this year, I hope I'm wrong, but I haven't really seen much defensive production against teams with an athletic QB and a good running back.

Philster...

What you said about it's hard to be intense when you're hurting?? Personally, I don't really think that is an excuse for how you play. I'll give the credit where it's due.. Maryville has a great pool of athletes. Central put up a good game tonight.

The Pounders Quarterback, Joe Despaux, has been playing with a broken finger since the beginning of the season. He re-dislocated it last week. He still is playing, and doesn't seem to let it get in his way. He can't even straighten it out. How do you throw the ball like that???

Daniel Hall, #75, I'm sure is still in some pain from his injury at the Red Bank game two weeks ago.

Brent Hayes, MLB, hasn't been out there since the Tyner game (a couple of weeks ago); however, the football team finds a way to make it without.

I know that it's tough to play when you're hurting.. But it's all a part of the game of football- Both mentally and physically.

Chatt..you can't comment to us about hurting. If you recall last year Maryville went into the 3rd string at some positions and still they managed to go undefeated. There was not a starter on the Maryville team that did not atleast sit out one game due to an injury, still we went undefeated. I know there are some people that can list the injuries we had last year, they will amaze you. Also you must realize that we had a guy play with a broken leg for 3 games. Dave Garner got hurt tonight was playing with an arm that was fractured, in a cast. A dislocated finger is not a big deal, especially when u run the wing-t. Baseball players will play with dislocated fingers, so will basketball players. You tape it to the finger next to it and you stink it up. Everyone goes through injuries, but Maryville the past two years has taken a huge share of them, and they may finally be taking their toll. This year we're not quite as deep, or skilled, as last year and when we have 2nd and third string that are just sophomores or even freshmen, it shows. Not to mention the players that are going down are our best players.

Ryan Headrick DT (Best DT, biggest heart, great leader)

Dave Garner S (Fastest player on team, 400 runner, big heart, smart)

Chris Large OL (Was the best offensive lineman last year as a junior, only starting senior offensive lineman)

This would destroy a lot of teams, but for us its just another challenge. We aren't using the injuries as an excuse or as a way out. We are merely saying that its hard to play 100 percent balls to the wall when you watch several of your teammates either get carted or helped off the field. It makes you think, it makes you realize that you're not invincible. It messes with your head, and that might just be whats happening to some of the Maryville players. If you notice we are arm tackling too much, not hitting full on, this may be the cause.