Private Schools playing Public Schools

SHSCAT

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE VOTE WILL TAKE PLACE AT THE T.S.S.A.A. OFFICE AND THE TIME. I WOULD LIKE TO BE THERE. CAN ANYONE FULLY EXPLAIN THE SO CALLED VIRIGINA PLAN. IF SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN HOW TEAMS ARE DETERMINED FOR THE PLAYOFFS.IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HEAR. I HEARD IT WAS THE OLD ACTION RATING SYSTEM USED IN TENNESSEE IN THE 1970'S.POINTS GIVEN OUT FOR WINS. THE POINTS ARE AWARDED ACCORDING TO THE CLASSIFICATION THE TEAMS YOU PLAY ARE IN.

JSCOTT...I could be wrong here but if I remember right in Virginia the conference/district/region (whatever they use) champion is in the playoffs automatically. Maybe even the runnerups as well. The rest of the spots are at large berths earned through a computer ranking system.

Someone please correct me if I`m wrong. VG

bill#73.....Again...every school had the opportunity to voice thier opinion on the matter. Less than half the schools want a split. So somehow I don`t think you`re an authority on what public schools want.

I think it is evident that most schools want or feel there needs to be some sort of change. But I don`t really think they want a split.

http://www.tssaa.org/Votes/Adm2002.htm

Following the administrator's meetings as of October 10, we have received input from 333 of 368 (90%) member schools regarding classification for 2005-2009.

The staff will continue to secure input from the remaining schools that have not voted. These numbers will be updated one time prior to the December 3 Legislative Council meeting.

In regard to classification for 2005-2009, 127 (38%) schools voted to stay with the present plan for Division I/Division II.

In regard to classification for 2005-2009, 206 (62%) schools voted to make a change in the present plan.

If a change were made, 162 (48%) schools voted that Division I should be all public and Division II should be all non-public schools.

If a change were made, 140 (42%) schools voted that that enrollment of Division I non-public schools would be multiplied by 2.0 and Division II would remain as is.

If a change were made, 32 (10%) schools did not favor the option to split or the 2.0 multiplier. Some of these schools listed comments for other suggestions.

According to the TSSAA site 62% of the schools want a change. It also looks like, to me since I am not as intelligent as VG maybe he can clarify, that a huge majority wants something different than what we have now. The schools just cannot decide whether a multiplier (42%) or a complete split (48%) is the way to go.

I do not see anywhere where people want to bring the private schools back from Division II. I also don't see anywhere where the majority would welcome the current situation to continue (38%).

Edited by bill#73