Riverdale 19, Lincoln County 13

TDCman

Absolutely a great game in an awesome setting.

Things have changed a lot since September. We got to the game early, around 6:00, and I was shocked at how many people were aleady there. My wife and I made the rounds, stopping in both endzones to watch the teams warm-up. When we had spent a few minutes watching the LC team, after the big guys had come out, I turned to my wife and told her we would win the game. This was no longer the physical mis-match it was in September. LC still had the edge, but Riverdale's players have done a lot of growing up this year. Physically, the teams were much more evenly matched that they were in September.

The game did not disappoint...it was a great, great game. The officials made their presence felt too much in the first half. I can't imagine anyone, on either team, was very happy with the officiating.

Both defenses came up huge late in the game when you could tell they were getting dog tired. Still, they were able to summon up enough to give the ball back to their offense. The defenses showed a lot of character all night.

I was surprised that Riverdale went so conservative in this game.

Special teams, mistakes, turnovers were huge.

The gut-check drive from the 10 after LC's last touchdown was a great effort. You could tell the LC's defense was tiring but they were able to hold us out of the enzone. Reversing the field position was the most important thing about that drive.

Congrats to LC on a great season and thanks for the hospitality last night. The Pit is a great place for football.

helmet.gif

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many people take Gary Rankin for granted. Bringing this team along to this point is one of the best coaching jobs I've ever witnessed. If people realized the seniors lost from last year, the people that were supposed to come back that didn't, and the almost unending string of serious injuries that this team has endured, they would be astounded that they are preparing for the semi-finals.

Rebuilding a team is one thing, having to go back and do it again almost every week is another. Not many young teams can survive having 4-5 starters on the sidelines in street clothes. This says a lot about the program Gary has built. It also says a lot about the great job of leadership this small senior class has done.

TDCMan:

Excellent review of the game and Coach Rankin. I missed most of the first half, but listened to it on the Lincoln County radio station on the way to the game. I was surprised at how quiet the Lincoln County fans were. Did they make more noise in the early part of the first half? I understand their silence in most of the second half.

A great setting for a high school football game. Two good teams, and it was tough to see Lincoln County lose this game. If anyone doubted Coach Rankin, last night and this season should set the record straight. He and his staff have done an outstanding job.

I also tip my hat to the Riverdale's fans. They demonstrated great support last night. Best of luck against Oak Ridge.

To LC's team, congratulations on a tremendous season and congratulations to coach thompson, who i met at a j.v. scrimmage my junior year. You guys are a class act. However, to my boys at RHS, THATS MY DAWGS!!!!!!!!! I played with ya'll last year and i have to say that ya'll have pleasantly surprised me. Now, go and finish where we left off last year!

CONGRATS TO LINCOLN COUNTY, and whatever your name is #72, i played against you last year at the pit when the warriors came to f-town, and you gave me fits.

Linemen are the REAL athletes. Go out there and represent chunk, ricky, phillip, justin, kiel, all ya'll. it all starts with ya'll against oak ridge.

It was a great game, but i saw alot of mouthing off from the Riverdale players to the LC crowd. (Not just once or twice, the WHOLE game)

You're joking - right? The only one I saw talking 'smack' to the crowd -

even the cheerleaders - LOL! was Lincoln Co's #5

I saw it from both #5 on LC and #37 on Riverdale. They both had their fare share. Both teams mouthed about the same. Just get over it. It's over and done with and doesn't matter anyways.

I saw it from both #5 on LC and #37 on Riverdale. They both had their fare share. Both teams mouthed about the same. Just get over it. It's over and done with and doesn't matter anyways.

--------------------

You can slow down the Lincoln County Falcons, but you can't stop them.

Drew... I was just kidding - notice the LOL and the emiton smiley.

And I 'got over it' in the caravan going back over Chestnut Ridge last night. :angry:

And Drew = ya may want to change that sig line - Riverdale proved last night that you can both slow down and then stop the Falcons at the pit. (again - just kidding!!!)

It was a great game. Both games this year were almost mirror images of each other. We had a 90+ yard touchdown called back at our place, ya had a great 90+ yard run by your tremendous QB called back. Both games came down to the trailing team just running out of time and downs.... Two teams of great kids playing great football. #72 and #6 and a long list of other L.C. kids played their hearts out and were a pleasure to watch. Almost makes you wish high school played 15 minute quarters so we could have more of that football to watch :)

Edited by davidlimbaugh

Guest region4fan

I am really sorry for the Falcons and especially sad for the wonderful Falcon fans that I have come to love and look forward to hearing from on Coacht. No one can ever take away the facts that you guys had the only undefeated season in 5A in 2003. No one can take away the fact that you broke Riverdale's home winning streak at Tomahawk.No one can take the fact away that you beat ALL the Boro schools in the regular season! No one can can take away that you have not one, but two Mr Football Nominees. No one can take away the number of fans that packed your stadium and opponents stadiums to cheer you on. No one can take away the admiration that fans from other schools have for you and your breath-taking talent and big plays. Right now you are hurting. Everyone knows that......but later......enjoy those fabulous memories. I know that I will never forget those fabulous Falcons of 2003, led by the ELUSIVE Michael Edmiston. You gave Kelly Holcomb a run for his money and title! GOD Bless all of you in Fayetteville!