Recent Maryville Daily Times Article

GovMan

Last week, John Brice, Sports Editor of the Daily Times here in Maryville, ran an article concerning the coaching situations at Heritage and William Blount. If I wasn't such a computer idiot, I'd include a link to the story, but I don't have a clue.

Just wanted to clarify one thing. In his article, Brice implied that both coaches were forced to resign at these schools.

I cannot speak to the Heritage situation, I'm not sure what's going on there.

But I can say with complete certainty, RONNIE PHELPS WAS NOT FORCED TO RESIGN AT WILLIAM BLOUNT HIGH SCHOOL.

Brice rightfully says that both schools desparately need continuity in their coaching ranks. But he offended a lot of William Blount folks by trying to assert that we "ran off" our coach. Didn't happen.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Govman, I can see how you might have thought that, but I don't think that was the issue. I know Coach P was not "Run" off, but why did he leave?

I contacted MR. Brice on a few of his points and part of his note to me was "My column sparked responses from plenty of people who did not agree with me. However, as you stated, the goal was to make people think, and spur discussion, and I hope that is being done". The county school board needs to take action and support the kids. I think the exodus of county coaches demonstrates there is no real commitment. Coach P is a great coach and person but, he came out of retirement and was reminded of how hard a coach must work to win. He did a great job in one year I think.

Mr. Brice's column stressed the need for the Administration to support County Athletics. Just having a program is not good enough. Blount county kids want to compete and win. Year after year they see kids they grew up with and played with in pee-wee’s win at Alcoa and Maryville and know they could compete if the coaching and commitment from the Administration were there. The kids have proven they are willing to work for it, now it is time for the Administration, teachers and parents to support the coaches with what ever is needed to change the course of both programs. If WB and Heritage are going to stay ole' boy and insist upon hiring coaches only from the local area, I think they will continue being locked out from a post season and continue to be somewhere around 5-5 or worse every year. There are some local young coaches who could do the job I think if the adm. would make a real commitment to them. Maybe these guys don't think the board will that is why they won't apply and pursue the position. Just because one played here or in college somewhere does not make them a coach. I hope the board and AD's make a decision for what is good for the whole and not just good for a few. If money is the problem for top quality coaches, then raise it. Go to the commission and ask for the money threw a vote. The commission just gave themselves a raise so there must be money out there. The kids deserve the best the community can give them and simply put that is not happening in my opinion. I hope it changes and my view does as well.

i read that article too GOVMAN , and i didn't get the impression that he was implying anybody from WILLIAM BLOUNT ran off coach PHELPS . what i got from his article was the lack of support from the county commision & school board was what the problem was , with keeping a coach at the county schools. maybe i missed something , wouldn't be the first time .

Edited by pepvol

First, I will not deny that Brice made some valid and legitimate points in the article. Issues that need to be addressed. I really on took issue with the one point that I was trying to make.

Trust me on this one thing ... when he put the word resignation in 'single quotes' early in the story, referring to both Heritage and William Blount, he was implying that both coaches were in some way forced to resign. I know this to be a fact and I just wanted to clarify that in the case of Lane Corum that may or may not have been the case, but with Coach Phelps IT WAS NOT.

FBE, you asked "why?" did Coach Phelps resign? Because he came to the conclusion that he was not willing to make the sacrifice necessary these days to be the head coach of a high school football team (especially William Blount). Whoever takes the job has some tough issues that must be dealt with if the program is going to step up to the next level.

Thats why Nick White would make the perfect coach for William Blount. He would do whatever it took to get William Blount back to the top. School board needs to get off of their butts and get good coaches for both County schools. With the talent in this County we should have all our teams in the playoffs. Step up School Board or the votes will go to someone who cares about our kids.

It was definitely not the case with Lane Corum either. There were many other reasons why he left that program, not that it is my position to speak of them or any other business that is not mine. My guess is that he realized that Heritage has no fan support, community support, faculty support, etc. and ###### doesn't look like anybody there wants to step up and help to change things. Sometimes it can just get real discouraging to a coach when he is the only one who seems to care after he an his players have fought their tail off week in - week out and played many good teams close. Anyways, Lane Corum is a great coach and an even better motivator and wherever he chooses to go will be getting one great addition to a coaching staff who is a defensive mastermind.

IF THE AD AT WB DOES NOT HIRE A COACH WITH THE SAME STANDARDS AS COACH P HE IS BACKING UP. I DISAGREE WITH HIM HIRING COACH P TO START WITH HIM BEEING HIS 1ST COUSIN IN ALL. COACH P TOLD ME HE WAS JUST STAYING A COUPLE OF YRS WHY WAS HE HIRE TO START WITH? HE IS A GOOD MAN AND DID THE KIDS GOOD THIS YR THO. LETS HIRE A COACH WITH A GOOD TRACK RECORED AND KEEP OUR COUNTY KIDS IN THE COUNTY.

YOU GO TO THE LOCKER ROOM AT HALF TIME AND GET TOLD HOW STUPED YOU ARE INSTEAD OF WHAT YOU DID WRONG AND HOW TO CORRECT THEM. THIS IS WERE I THINK MARYVILLE WINS THE COACH TREAT THE KIDS LIKE THEY ARE SOMEBOBY. GO GOVS ;)

IF THE AD AT WB DOES NOT HIRE A COACH WITH THE SAME STANDARDS AS COACH P HE IS BACKING UP. I DISAGREE WITH HIM HIRING COACH P TO START WITH HIM BEEING HIS 1ST COUSIN IN ALL. COACH P TOLD ME HE WAS JUST STAYING A COUPLE OF YRS WHY WAS HE HIRE TO START WITH? HE IS A GOOD MAN AND DID THE KIDS GOOD THIS YR THO. LETS HIRE A COACH WITH A GOOD TRACK RECORED AND KEEP OUR COUNTY KIDS IN THE COUNTY.

YOU GO TO THE LOCKER ROOM AT HALF TIME AND GET TOLD HOW STUPED YOU ARE INSTEAD OF WHAT YOU DID WRONG AND HOW TO CORRECT THEM. THIS IS WERE I THINK MARYVILLE WINS THE COACH TREAT THE KIDS LIKE THEY ARE SOMEBOBY. GO GOVS :angry:

Linebackers .. I had a tough time figuring out what your conclusion was on Coach Phelps. It sounds like you liked him ... but then it sounds like you think he shouldn't have been hired.

Did Coach Phelps tell you how stupid you were at half time? Or was that another coach you were speaking of?

And just for total accuracy ... Coach Phelps and Donnie Moore's mom are first cousins. That would make Coach P and Donnie second cousins wouldn't it? Or would it be first cousins once removed? I never can figure that one out.

Like I said before year after year the WB and HHS kids see guys they grew up with and played with in pee-wee’s win at the high school level at Alcoa, Maryville and Greenback. These Kids know they could compete if the coaching and commitment from the Administration were there. The fans will come back and follow if the package is better. The kids have proven they are willing to work for it, now it is time for the Administration, teachers and parents’ time to support the new coaches with what ever is needed to change the course of both programs. Maryville is successful because the support is there and Alcoa seems to be making the steps necessary to move that program back to what it once was. I don’t think Reid is the best coach out there, but a committed group guys can do a lot given the right circumstances. If WB and Heritage are going to stay ole' boy and insist upon hiring coaches only from the local area, I think they will continue being locked out from a post season and continue to be somewhere around 500 or worse every year. Perhaps the wage scale needs to be raised to hire proven quality leaders to fix the programs. But if the Admin is not going to support the program and some of the parents are not going to get out of the way the programs will continue down the same sad road.

There is also another point alluded to above. I pain tuition and then moved so that my kids could attend MHS for other reasons than Football. But sticking to the subject I saw the yelling and antics of some of the “Coaches” hired within the county system the past few years that concerning, football made our decision to move the boys easy. Coach DG who just left Heritage was a major loss for that program. There were a few guys like him I would have enjoyed seeing the boys play for. Some of these coaches need to step away from football and let some real experience and new blood have a shot. This will cost money but the kids are worth it and deserve it. I recommend everyone contact the school board and county commission and express your views on this subject.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

excellent post FBEmeritus !!! i couldn't agree more with you . i've seen some of these county coaches your talking about too . there's a huge difference between just hollering and screaming at a kid .... vs teaching him . MARYVILLE'S coaches rarely lose their temper , they act more like teachers , which basically a football coach is . if a coach can't be disciplined ... how can he expect his kids to be ???

YES GOV MAN I REALLY LIKE COACK P HE IS A GREAT MAN. BUT--- NO I DO NOT THINK HE SHOULD OF BEEEN HIRED. HE KNEW FROM THE BEGGING THAT HE WAS NOT GOING TO STAY AND IF DONNIE MORE WAS NOT THE AD HE WOULD OF NOT OF BEEN HIRE. WHO KNOW WHO WB LOSE BECAUSE OF THIS SHOW THIS LAST YR.

I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT COACH P AT ALL I WENT THOROUGH 3 DIFFERENT COACHS THERE AND THE WAY I WAS TALKED TO AT HALF TIME WOULD MAKE A SAIOLOR BLUSH. I HAVE CLOSE FRIEND AT MARYVILLE AND THEY TELL ME HOW THEY ACT AT HALF TIME AND I'LL TELL YOU IF I HAD TO DO IT OVER I WOULD BE AT MARYVILLE.