Boyd vs. DCA

Nathan_Smithers#1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats does it mater how old he is, I am a 21 year old senior in college and I love watching my brother play and keep up with it as much as possible. So leave the man and your unneccesary comments at the door, and lets talk some football. Both are great teams or else they wouldn't be there. I think Boyd has the edge after losing last year because i believe they were the better football team, and they have a reason to play for.

Boyd 24

DCA 14

Here is a Tennessean article about DCA's win. Coach Goodwin actually voted for Bodiford for Mr Football! I think that is great.

DCA to play for first state championship since '96

ROB SHERRILL

For The Tennessean

392.jpg

Even when he's not running at full speed, Donelson Christian Academy running back Chris Wooden gets plenty of attention.

While Wooden carried out a fake into the line perfectly on a do-or-die drive, DCA quarterback Jim Fenwick scored on a 5-yard option keeper, his second touchdown run of the game, to give the Wildcats a 35-32 victory over Fayette Academy last night.

The Wildcats (13-1) advanced to the Class 1A final for the first time since winning the 1996 championship. They will meet Boyd-Buchanan (12-2), a 37-6 winner of Christian Academy of Knoxville, in the Blue Cross Bowl Friday at Murfreesboro.

''We set up the bootleg left and Chris (Wooden) is our main man, that's exactly what set my touchdown up,'' Fenwick said. ''We all knew that we had come this far, and that there was no way we were losing (this game).''

DCA Coach Dennis Goodwin had hoped to keep Wooden, who has a partially torn MCL, off the field. But the 5-foot-11, 203-pound junior tailback finally made his first appearance early in the fourth quarter, rushing for 14 yards and a first down on his first carry. He finished with six carries for 38 yards.

''Last week, he tried to go and gave it everything he could give,'' Goodwin said. ''We really were only going to use him if we had to. He's really only about 50%, but he has the heart of a champion.''

The game may have been even more costly for the Wildcats. Senior tailback Matt Meacham, who rushed for 164 yards in Wooden's absence and scored a pair of touchdowns, injured his right ankle on the final play of the third quarter. His status for the title game is in doubt.

Goodwin had to use Wooden because of the incredible performance of Fayette Academy's Collin Bodiford. The Class 1A Mr. Football Back finalist almost beat the Wildcats all by himself.

All Bodiford did was carry 19 times for 281 yards and three touchdowns, complete 2-of-3 passes for 54 yards, catch a 17-yard touchdown pass, block a field-goal attempt and record 12 tackles from his safety spot on defense.

''I voted for Bodiford (for Mr. Football Back) sight unseen and I see now it was a wise vote,'' Goodwin said. ''We'd heard a lot of great things about him, but what I saw him do was even better than that. He's won over a lot of fans in Middle Tennessee, I can tell you that.''

After blocking Aaron Basescu's 36-yard field goal attempt early in the fourth quarter, Bodiford returned the kick 70 yards for an apparent touchdown, but a clipping penalty brought the ball back to the Fayette Academy 35.

But with Bodiford on the field, it didn't matter. He sped 54 yards on the option on the very next play, and Winston Thomas plunged over from 2 yards out then added a two-point conversion to give the Vikings (10-4) their first lead of the game, 35-32 with 5:26 remaining.

But Austin Garrett, whose 20-yard reverse gave the Wildcats their first touchdown of the night, returned the ensuing kickoff 42 yards to the 49 to set up a short field.

''We challenged our kids to make a play, and that was a huge play for us,'' Goodwin said.

Helped by a 15-yard face mask penalty against the Vikings on a third-down play that took the ball to the 19, the Wildcats moved 51 yards in 10 plays, capped by Fenwick's option run. n

From the beginning, the game was a match between DCA's smashmouth power-I offense and Fayette Academy's finesse multiple offense.

The Wildcats appeared that they would run the Vikings right out of Nashville at the start of the game, effortlessly engineering 70-yard touchdown drives on their first two possessions.

After taking the opening kickoff, they needed just eight plays to score. Meacham, who gained 93 of his 164 yards in the first half, had runs of 12 and 13 yards, a pair of Fenwick-to-Justin Hall passes netted two more first downs, and Garrett capped the drive by taking a handoff on a reverse and sprinting 20 yards around left end for a touchdown, Basescu's kick making it 7-0 with 8:37 left in the first quarter.

But Fayette Academy had an answer, needing just five plays to go 67 yards. On second-and-1, Bodiford found a wide-open Zac Labarreare for 39 yards down the right sideline to the DCA 8, then ran the option left and scored untouched on the next play.

Without a kicker on the roster, however, the Vikings went for two points, and Bodiford tried to score on the same play but was stopped short by Meacham, keeping the Wildcats in front 7-6.

Meacham and Fenwick then took the Wildcats down the field in six plays. Fenwick's three carries accounted for 49 yards, including a 6-yard keeper that increased the lead to 14-6 with 3:38 still remaining in the first quarter.

But the Vikings always seemed to have an answer.

Playing from a variety of formations ranging from the stack-I to the wing-T to an empty backfield with up to five receivers, smaller Fayette Academy stood toe-to-toe with the Wildcats throughout the game, piling up 355 yards rushing and outgaining the hosts 465-304.

If you want my opinion, Boyd is going to win because we have a well balanced team that can succeed without one or more of our starters. Example being Copper Basin, we had neither Matt Peardon nor Matt Henley, yet we still managed to give them a good thrashing. We don't rely purely on Peardon's speed and amazing moves to win games. Basically it all comes down to depth. If we have one player injured, there are players that can step up and fill the spot and play effectively. I'm predicting a close game but as I stated earlier, Boyd will win, plain and simple. If the running game gets stopped, there's always a good passing game to fall back on. Perry is consistent in hitting his field goals and giving the team good position on kickoffs and punts. And there is the ever lingering threat of the Buccanneer defense that has made many a play to send the ball game in a completely different direction.

"You call me a jerk, I call myself a harsh voice of reality..." -G.P.