Cookeville v. White County

thekeg55

Wasn't is just a couple of years ago that Cookeville beat White Co. something like 14-8. Take nothing away from Cookeville, but they play ugly basketball, and play it pretty well. I saw them play against LA at Cookeville the other night. Cookeville was in good shape at the half after their defense kept LA's shooting percentage very low. However, for some reason, it seemed as though Cookeville tried to hold the ball and sit on a 5 or 6 point lead in second half. It didn't work. I know they probably weren't holding the ball, but that slowed down offense and holding defense was so boring, and they paid for it. Cookeville had things in their favor as far as LA's shooting. LA missed something like 20 free throws.

Is White County in shape? Cookeville seemed to run out of gas at the end, and LA seemed pretty fresh.

I'm not predicting a winner, just a low scoring, ugly, hard fought game.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last post stated that the slow down style of Cookeville makes for an "ugly game". I don't think that was Cookeville's game plan to slow down in the LA game. I think that Cookeville could play a faster up tempo game, but the style they run is a structured offense and to play strong defense, and I am not for sure they would do well in a faster style, it's possible, though. But after all, strong defense will win games for you and it will stop your opponent from scoring, therefore a low score is the result. If this creates an "ugly" game as indicated, then you should appreciate the execution and the discipline it takes for this style.

Personally, I would like to see all girls games played more like a boys game and see an average of 60-70 points per game, but most girl games are slower paced and more disciplined into structured plays or game plan. Also I think Cookeville is in shape just as well as any team, and two overtimes with agressive defense will get most players tired. I did not think Cookeville looked tired as you indicate.

This was not the reason for Cookeville's loss. If you note, LA held the ball in the second overtime when they got the first basket early. This was a good stragedy by LA's coach, because it made Cookeville foul. (Good place for a 30 sec. shot clock- to get the excitement back). LA then sank the buckets when it really counted at the free throw line. For Cookeville to be a major contender there needs to be more girls step up and score more, more agressive blocking out and rebounding, and less turnovers. The turnovers need to be reduced to win close games. As the newcomers get more familiar with their role and more confidence in themselves and in their own scoring abilities, they will be a force to be dealed with when they meet the quality teams like White Co., Jackson Co., 2-3 more strong 7AAA teams, and again Livingston. It will be a good re-match when these two meet again in Livingston.

Should be a good dog eat dog game. No place for the timid. Both coaches

teach good defense, Makes for a low scoring game. Cookeville and White

Co. both play slow tempo on offense. Cookeville has won the last four

regular season games. Odom main reason for that. Pulling for White Co.,

but with two starters leaving our team, don't know yet.