Vote

nolesfan

Ah - but what is the CRUX of this issue? The fact that PUBLIC schools can only get kids in their general proximity.

Look at the example in the Jackson paper

JCS 120 25 (20.8 percent)

USJ 198 19 (9.6 percent)

TCA 80 6 (7.5 percent)

JCS gets 1/5 students from OUTSIDE the county (they may be on

the county line???)

I think the 1A and the 5A public schools have basically the same issue, that their pool of players, if not in quantity or quality, is limited in one way the privates aren't, and that is geographically. And I know redroll, MOST/ALL of MBA's players come from 'close to the back yard' - but the issue is that they can?/have?/might?/will? come from further than 'their own back yard...

I can only speak for JCS and USJ about those %. Most of those out of county students come from Humboldt (Gibson Co.) and we(Milan) also get a few students from Humboldt. It's an academic issue with most parents. Milan is the highest ranked public school in Gibson Co. academically, while Humboldt is the lowest. Those not leaving for Milan are going to the privates in Jackson(the ones who can afford it) where the academics are also excellent.

Milan will take kids from out of district as long as that particular grade has an opening for the kid. This year we are turning away out of district students in the 3rd and 9th grade because it's full.

Madison Co.(Jackson) is under a Federal court order that states anyone living in Madison Co. must attend a Madison Co. school.(Don't know why but maybe VG can explain that better).

That's how it works around here and I"m sure other publics across the state take out of district students and the tuition varies a lot. I think Maryville charges $1800 for out of district while Milan charges $50.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys, you have to get off this out of district arguement, public schools have the same advantage of drawing kids from out of there school district as does the privates. Most of the metro schools have incentives for students to attend a school where the are in the minority. City and county school disticts fight over students all the time. If a city zoned student attends the county school its money in there pocket from the federal goverment. As far as the financial aid goes, what about the free luch program at public schools, is this not finianial aid. Most private school aid is based on the same principle, need based. We can argue that an education at an Oak Ridge or Cleveland High is worth more than an education at a Meigs Co. or Marion Co. because they spend more per student. The sooner everyone realizes that there advantages and disadvantages on both sides, the better off Tennessee High school athletics will be. It all comes out in the wash and equals out in the end. Put everyone back in and fight it out.

If you "put everyone back in" and MBA wins over a Riverdale or Germantown, or like 1A, MBA, McCallie, Brentwood Academy and CB make the final four, you'd have more of a fuss than the 1A publics could dream of making.

I guess if it was Four Public schools in the final four the private schools should complain. Hey lets go even further, what if the final four all come from one high school, school districts, or if they come from predominantly Black schools from Metro schools, maybe we should just split the schools by how much they pay there coaches. Come on guys listen to yourself when your talking. So what if they all were private, each school has a chance to compete like everyone else does. The class 2-A championship is a great example. What a great feeling for the team that won. They can actually feel good that they competed and defeated a great program. If they would have listened to everyone on here, they would have thought they had no chance at a private school.

Edited by Gov