Tennessee, the Premier State for Girls Basketball?

HUCK

I believe Tennessee is the premier state for girls basketball. This is why!

1) For right now we have the number one program in the country, Shelbyville.

2) The competition in Tennessee is so tough that the number one team in the country lost twice before the new year.

3) Tennessee teams travel all over the country to compete in the top level tournaments. Cleveland @ Pinkerington, Shelbyville and Oak Ridge @ TOC Great teams also come to Tennessee. the Nationsbank Tournament in Greenville draws great teams from all over!

4) The top college team is located in Knoxville with the greatest female coach in the history of the game. (A little bias)

5) Tennessee has some of the best high school coaches also. examples- Insell @ Shelbyville, Harlow @ Bradley, Burkey @ Greenville, Rogers @ Clarkrange, and many many more

Why or why not do you think this is the premier state?

Shelbyville does not have the #1 program in the country. Oregon City, Christ the King, and of others have better programs. They have lost 3 times already because they were obviously WAY overrated by USA Today.

You are almost as bad as 90. Do you see a game outside your county line? Oregon City, Christ the King, they have no where near the teams they had 10 years ago. Wake up and smell the hoops.

flemtone....You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Oregon City and Christ the King are ranked EVERY year{unlike Shelbyville} and they are currently #3 and #11 in the country. I'll bet they haven't already lost 3 times either{hehe}. Just go to usatoday.com and look. Next time you post do some research first.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

85, I thought you were talking about programs, programs are not one team. It was not 5 years ago that Shelbyville beat OC with a poor team at the time but they eventually went on to win the state. Compare the last 20 years stats in the win loss column and see what you have. Everyone will eventually have a great team, the odds are just with you, but the progam is competitive with the very best all over the county year in and year out. And yes, Shelbyville has lost three games, wow, what a downfall. You would think they were 3-30 so what a standard they have set to be so laughed at and criticized for losing 3 games when hundreds of teams have done that and it amounts to nothing.

wrong on all counts. They have kids from all over come to be a part of their progam, both of them. As far as total wins, they have virtually no competition in their local areas so getting wins is not too tough. This is my last post on the subject, we will not agree anyway, they are both run by good people that work hard. I wish it were possible to get the exact numbers and know for sure. Maybe one day you will be a part of something like that and then you might look at it all with a different perspective. Best wishes for a nice holiday season.

None other than the fact that I've spoken to both head coaches a few times during the past 10 years and they've both told me that very thing.

Those teams like Christ the King and others usually have a weak league, but more than make up for it because they play in several top tournaments every season. Other states allow their teams to travel more than Tennessee and usually teams like CTK face top 25 competition for a good portion of their season which balances out the weak schedule. They can't help who they play outside of their travel schedule no more so than any team in our state can. Only problem is, our teams can only go over 600 miles away ONCE during the season. That stinks... :D