clinton vs. oak ridge

primetimeplayer10

I respect everyones opinion, but leave race out of the discussion! It has zero bearing on this situation. That's the beauty of sports is that everyone wants to be a coach. You may not agree with Clinton's coaches strategies, but race is hardly the issue. They have a good team and they will figure out what is the best attack for their team. I may not agree with the decisions they make but don't put a label on a coach that is not true. Please think before you make such remarks! :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never once agreed with your racism comment, i only agreed with your no discipline comment. I am from around CLinton, and I have a great insight of what goes on there, so I do have fact that I can state about your point. And you will never find a point on Lockard being a racist... Becasue he isnt... You are probably one of those parents in the community who ran Catlett out of town, becasue they werent playing your little johnny, even though he wasnt any good...

I think discipline is about control. It is about believing in a system, and being able to follow through with the system at the expense of personal success. An example in the movie Hoosiers when the coach insisted on five passes minimum before a shot could be taken, and even though a boy hit shots prior to five passes being made he was benched because it undermined the team concept of system.

Clinton appears to me to be out of control alot of the time, and quickly breaks away from any percievable system of play. The game is often controlled and dictated by the tempo the other team chooses, which is why your game scores are all over the place from 100 to 50. Watch a team like Fulton, their games are almost always in the 40's and 50's because they are disciplined in their style of play. Also when Clinton players are called for fouls, they often act like spoiled 6 year olds the way they storm off, make faces and argue. This would not be tolerated by alot of coaches. The previous post by in the mix sites crotch grabbing, and obscene gestures and profanity towards the crowd in the Oak Ridge game. This is what a lack of discipline means to me.

chsbbfan, I agree with some of the sentiments you expressed for sure, but how can you point out the inappropriateness of a racist comment, and then make a generalized slur against Karns in your next breath.

To say that it is inexperience that gives your guys trouble getting the ball inside, is silly. I've seen middle school teams that do a good job of this with a lot worse big men than the talented Morris and Freeman. I would like to see you guys dominate, and everyone associated with your program acts like anyone who questions your style of play just doesn't understand basketball.

Discipline doesn't just refer to "disciplinning" players, no one knows what happens within your team structure but you. It refers to the control your team displays in all facets of behavior on and off the court.

Ok this is how it is and if u were at the game u saw it too. You can see the disipline Clinton has by the box scores. It's Vibbert, Whitt, and Morris everytime. and the nondisipline part i think comes from you've got a 6'9 post thats as strong as an ox and he has to shoot 5 foot jumpers because thats the only time he gets the ball unless he gets a rebound. I mean come on i know that the districts are as strong as they use to be so it's easy to use a 6'9 guy. No offense to Morris but how can a guy get a good scholorship and not get the ball, give the rock to the big man down low coach. And the part about the press everybody also knows that the press doesnt work as well, he's been doing it since Sheppard was there and every coach in east tennessee knows how to get around it, and if they don't give me a call and i'll tell u how to. The worst thing is if youre at a clinton game and one of the main two shoots and misses it's fine but whenever someobdy else misses look at his face and then ull see it all......And if anybody has anything to say about Catlett and the football team it has to do with the fact he didn't win ballgames, politics or not that's how to keep a job in Clinton. That's why he got fired at Carter i mean the fact is the games fun and all but if a teams not winning maybe its time to fix something. the best players were playing but if they're not winning and everybodys quitting there's got to be something done.

.  That's why he got fired at Carter i mean the fact is the games fun and all but if a teams not winning maybe its time to fix something. the best players were playing but if they're not winning and everybodys quitting there's got to be something done.

kEVIN NEVER GOT FIRED AT CARTER. HE WAS STARTING TO TURN THEIR PROGRAM AROUND WHEN CLINTON HIRED HIM. CARTER COMMUNITY LOVED CATLETT, ALSO ANDERSON CO LOVED HIME WHEN HE WAS THERE, AND AC HAS A LOT BETTER ESTABLISHED PROGRAM AT THIS POINT. CATLETT WAS A GREAT COACH WHO NEVER GOT A CHANCE. THE PEOPLE COMMENTING ON THIS THREAD ABOUT CLINTON HAVING DISCIPLINE ARE THE SAME ONES WHO HAVE NO DESCIPLINE IN THEIR LIFE. THIS IS TYPICAL FOR THE CLINTON COMMUNITY, EVERYONE SEES IT AROUND THEM, THEY ARE JUST TO CLOSE MINDED TO SEE IT FOR THEMSELVES...

Edited by mcneeley06

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to suggest that there are many athletes who the coach doesn't care about and to point out lack of success after high school is ludicrous. I believe that you'll find that the great majority of players who have played for Coach Lockard respect him a great deal. Clinton has had a number of kids that are playing or soon will play college basketball on scholarship - Dedrick Dye, Toree Morris, Jody Goins, Jesse Rodd, Travis Morrow, etc - while playing under Lockard. Mykail Vibbert has already signed D1 for next year and it is inevitable that Tevah Morris will too; it is also possible that AJ Freeman will play college ball at some level. It's easy for some people to criticize that which they don't completely understand, but Coach Lockard has to be given at least some credit for helping the above-mentioned players (additionally, most will find it interesting that a good number of football players have Lockard make/copy game tapes and use him as their contact for recruiting/college contact). Criticism from opposing players/fans is often a sign of jealousy or fear. Maybe others should spend more time worrying about those situations that directly affect them, instead of tearing down someone else. I think most coaches would like a .600 winning percentage and two of the last 4 district titles. Remember it is very early in the season, and most teams will struggle some while playing two sophomores at the guard positions (no matter how talented); Clinton will improve as the season progresses.

Good post Marcvols. I agree with most of it, but don't be happy with a .600 winning percentage when your capable of winning the whole show. Good luck to the Dragons the rest of the way.

And btw, your two sophmore guards have had plenty of varsity playing time, and are very talented, they won't hold you back just demand more of them and they will produce.

In the Mix- Im glad you brought up some subjects that many are talking about but I had yet to see get put on the board. I agree in most things you were discussing. I dont think race by our definition is the issue because everyone in clinton knows that minorities get most of the chances to play. The issue is why isnt there any help to these extra special athletes to get them into school and succeed. Mostly, its not one thing, but the biggest factor is the kids fault themselves. The kids mentioned that had all made college teams or are playing from Clinton- all have a strong father and family figures and the kids themsleves are great kids. The kids you mentioned that havent made it from clinton were not as fortunate to have great family situations and the kids, while friendly and cordial, were lets just say, not really the college type. While we all wish that great talent could be benefited, not all kids want help or listen to a coach. Once theyve turned 16 its tough to tell them something they dont know already. And McNeeley you are right about some things too, especially that these kids have to have self-discipline. Lets make that a lesson we get out of this...Kids- Dont look to your coach or anyone else to help you make it, you do it on your own. If you get help, then great, but if not, you can still make it and will have no one to blame. I think the coaches can go a long way in helping, but its not necessarily the top priority on most high school coaches list. Basketball is a way in to school that not many people get. Academics is a way everyone can get in if they put in the time and have self-discipline.

Now with that said, I do not really like the way lockard coaches his teams either, but thats his personal preferences. If you dont like it, you can trasfer to AC or OR or wherever. But Lockard is guard oriented, fast tempo, look for the 3, press style is what you get. Not many coaches change their styles for the players they have.

And PS- Troy Thackerson transfered to Clinton way back when and was ineligible his senior season because he was too old. However, this was not due to grades. It was a physical ailness that kept him out of school one year before teenage and moving from school to school another time other than Clinton that had him behind. Not becuase he was dumb or couldnt do grades. He tried walking on at Roane State to not much avail.