Brandon Florida team.

RMC

Brandon (FL) loses dual for the ages, 30-31

Brandon Scott

FLORIDAKIDS CONTRIBUTING REPORTER

CUYAHOGA FALLS -- Maybe a delay wasn't such a good idea.

Brandon (FL) High School wrestling coach Russ Cozart took a challenge from Blair Academy's (NJ) Jeff Buxton, delaying his team's return flight two days to wrestle a dual match at Walsh Jesuit High School. In a dual match that featured 6 rematches from the previous weekend's Ironman Invitational, Brandon battled and barely lost to a team that finished 90 points ahead of them, ending their national record dual-match win streak at 376.

"You know, it was a challenge I couldn't pass up," Cozart said. "We had just proven ourselves as one of the best tournament teams in the country. And while it hurts, the fact that the dual was ended by the three-time defending national champions isn't so bad."

Early on it didn't seem as if the match would live up to its billing with Blair opening up a 27-12 lead heading into the 160-lb match.

The meet started at 103 lbs with Blair's freshman Kellen Russell pinning Brandon junior Ken Keller at the 3:13 mark.

"Coach [buxton] told me to start things right," Russell said, "A pin is pretty good way to start."

The first rematch of the day saw Brandon's junior transfer Franklin Gomez battle to a decidely decisive major decision of Blair junior Russ Gitomer 10-1 at 112 lbs.

"People said the first match [a 15-6 major] it was fluke," Gomez said, "I'll take two flukes any day."

Wrestling up at 119 lbs wasn't such a good idea for Brandon's freshman Sean Joyce as he was pinned at the 2:42 mark by Blair's sophomore Travis Blasco.

"The weight difference was pretty notable," Blasco said. "So I just used it to my advantage, wrestled an aggressive match and got the pin."

At 125 lbs Brandon received a 10-5 decision from junior Cesar Grajales over Chris Frederick.

"He's [Frederick] pretty tough," Grajales said. "But he got a little tired at the end, allowing me to add a takedown in the third period."

At 130 lbs. senior and Missouri signee Ryan Joyce (12) couldn't find any offense, stymied by Blair's junior Adam Frey. The match ended with Frey holding a 4-1 advantage, despite repeated and flurried attacks by Joyce in the third period.

"He's got to be in some shape," Frey said of Joyce, "because he turned it on in the third period. I was able to hold him off. I promised coach I'd never complain about sprawl drills again."

With surprise freshman Eric Medina scoring a technical fall over Brandon senior Brandon Ray, Blair opened up a 19-6 lead after the 135 lbs match. Medina was relentless, winning 18-1 at 5:05.

"For coming up here as not even the starter," Medina said, "I've had a pretty good weekend, huh?"

*Eric Medina earned the starting nod over junior Tyler Thurgood based on his 9-1 decision over Thurgood in the Ironman consolation quarterfinals, finishing fourth.

Brandon got a surprise pin from senior Eddie Hutchinson over Blair senior Chris Stout at 140 lbs. Using a cradle that is the namesake of the bigger of the twins (Tommy), Hutchinson ended the match at the 2:46 mark.

"I heard Tommy screaming cradle," Hutchinson said, "locked it up and got the pin."

Blair's senior 145 lber, Gregg Romano, was able to duplicate the result of his consolations quarterfinals earning a tough 12-9 come-from-behind decision over senior Tommy Hutchinson.

"He made some adjustments since the last time we wrestled," Romano said, "I was in a lot of trouble until that last takedown, where I was lucky to get 3 backs [points]."

Blair junior Mike Galante won over Brandon senior Matt Williams in an uneventful match at 152 lbs. Galante scored a quick takedown straight to Williams back, where the latter battled until the ref called a pin at the 1:50 mark.

"I hit that double-leg so clean," Galante said, "I was able to snake in a half on the way down."

Facing a 27-12 deficit, Brandon needed bonus points, and they were supplied by junior Rocky Cozart, who recorded a pin over Blair senior Charlie Clarkat 160 lbs. Cozart was able to hit a under-hook/knee pick combination, sending Clark to his back in the third period. The ref called the pin at the 5:16 mark.

"My dad [Head Coach Russ Cozart] was bugging the mess out of me," Cozart said, "to get that pin, and I'm glad I got it, cuz he's a pain when I don't do what he asks."

The 171 lbs match featured a rematch of the Ironman's semifinal that, again, lived it up to its billing. National champions David Craig (Brandon, sophomore) and Hudson Taylor (Blair, junior) wrestled the most exciting match of the night with Craig

winning a 10-8 thriller in overtime after a mad scramble that saw three granby rolls and numerous near-takedowns.

"That may be exciting for the fans," Craig said, "But I was scared. I kept thinking, move, get control, move get control, and, thankfully, I was able to do that before he did."

Blair senior 189 lber Alex Maciag scored a 17-7 major decision over Brandon senior Jarrod Thompson, giving Blair a 31-20 advantage.

"I tried to get that tech," Maciag said, "But I'll take what I can get, as long as I win."

Facing a 31-20 deficit with two matches left, Brandon would need two pins to pull out the victory.

The possibility of pulling out the monumental upset remained alive after Brandon senior 215 lber Rashard Goff hit a sensational cement mixer on Blair junior Ben Kinnerson. Dominating 13-4 in the third period, Goff released Kinnerson for the escape, and Kinnerson hit a surprise double leg, which Goff was able to underhook and hit the aforementioned cement mixer. At 5:52 Goff sent the crowd of 2,348 into a roar after the ref called the pin.

"We needed that pin," Goff said, "I knew I'd never forgive myself if I didn't get that pin, so when I hit that cement mixer, I tried to rip his [Kinnerson] head off."

At 275 lbs Brandon Senior Keith Simmons wasn't able to earn the win... Or the tie for that matter. In a match that saw Simmons dominate Blair senior John Kane, Simmons was only able to secure a major decision, winning 11-1.

"I can't believe I wasn't able to get that pin," Simmons said, "Believe me, it wasn't for lack of effort either. All the credit to Kane, he knew what he couldn't give up, and he didn't."

The final tally was 31-30 in what will surely go does as one of the greatest dual meets of this century or last.

"That's a great program," Buxton said. "Coach Cozart has a lot to be proud of, and his kids can't hang their heads after they battled the way they did."

To Contact Brandon Scott

bran_2001@yahoo.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone wishes they could have been there to see it. The only problem is that it didn't happen. The article you read was a piece of well written fiction. It was a fantasy matchup based on results at the Ironman tournament. Brandon finished as runner-up to Blair Academy at the Ironman, 273.0 to 183.0. Russ Cozart is more than willing to put the streak on the line against top national competition, but it will only happen in his gym. In my opinion, that is not too much to ask for anyone wanting a shot at defeating his team.

Edited by CoachDelgado

That is exactly what I am saying. It was a total fantasy piece. It was written by Brandon Scott of Floridakids.net, their site similar to CoachT. He made up the quotes and the match results. Think about some things that happened. They were up there then accepted a challenge. They had extra athletes to bump and shift weight classes. For an unplanned event, they both were overly prepared with their full rosters available for shifting lineups. Most importantly, it was never in any of the national media. The Brandon Streak is national news. It made USAToday earlier this year. Here is the link to the article, USAToday Brandon Article. Had they lost a dual, it would have made the papers.

It also sucked me into the story and had me believeing it was a possibility. I then checked numerous sources to see it if could be verified. All sources pointed it to being a fantasy, but we can all dream. I just think that of all sports, wrestling is the sport with the longest winning streak of all time in high school sports. I'll take any recognition from the national media that our sport can get.

Edited by CoachDelgado

Brandon will not wrestle anyone very good in a dual unless the other team goes to Florida and wrestles in their gym with their officials. Brandon is a very good team that will put their kids in national tournaments but they do everything possible to protect their dual match streak.

cbg,

I know Russ Cozart very well and have to somewhat disagree with you. His district is over 20 teams. He already has to wrestle a lot of duals. Florida high School Activities Association restricts the amount of travel they can do. They had to appeal for an exception to go to the Ironman this year. Why should he seek out a loss? If someone feels they have what it takes to defeat his team, travel down to Tampa and give it a shot. He created an event just for this in January, the 2nd Annual Beat the Streak Tournament. There have been no serious nationwide takers so far. That is not his fault.