Why does Unaka's coach act like that

rainman

You talk about fit throwing, chair smacking, screaming at players it was almost abusive to watch last nights unaka east game and i was only there for half of it. we laughed at ensor because he was going crazy. smacked a seat funny thing was when he was subbing for 55 on a two shot foul and 55 walks off and sits on the bench. you could see smoke coming from atop his forehead. when chambers shot a three he laid the smack down on a chair and was screaming at the top of his lungs. dyer gets a t and throws his sweater, it was more fun to watch these crazy guys coach than the game.

Unaka was playing with no emotion.  They made several bone-head plays and he probably thought this might get them fired up.  Despite the tantrum, he's really a good coach.  And believe it or not, I've seen worse from other coaches.

Just last year, Coach Gordon of University High kicked a chair down the locker room stair-way, which almost hit one of our girls players... He also reportedly gave the Unaka student section a good look at his middle finger. :o

Edited by Rangerbook06

And to go along with all the things mentioned above, he checks on them when they are sick, he is concerned about how they are doing in the classroom, and takes many hours away from his family to give back to our kids. When he fusses it's for a reason so my advice to our players is play better, less fussing. But best thing about Coach Ensor is that he cares about his players and as a parent that is the most important thing.

Some coaches must coach with emotion considering the fact that many players these days can't get themselves fired up to play the game. I don't think that this was as much of a problem back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's with the type of players that we had in all of the Carter County schools. Players back then had a work ethic that they carried over to the court for practice and in games. Most kids back then had chores at home to do when they got home or their families were farmers and they had no choice but to work. Most of today's players don't carry that same mentality to the court with them because they are soft compared to players like Leon Tolley, Donald Ensor, Johnny Ensor, Jerry White, etc. I mention those names because they share a few common bonds that people in today's society should take a look at before they down Donald for being emotional on the sidelines. The first thing of course is that they either coach or have coached in this county for years. Secondly, as players they made at least one trip a piece to Murfreesboro or Nashville to play for the gold ball. And they all coach or coached with passion and fire. They all expect their players to play hard and smart basketball. I know from quite a bit of experience myself that getting some players to just play hard is like bleeding a turnip these days. It is real easy to set in the stands and say that a coach is doing something stupid or wrong but most people don't see what goes on behind the scenes at school and in the gym on days when there isn't a game for parents and fans to come to. Most coaches that I talk to in this county spend on the average at least 12 hours a day with these kids and they only hear the negative comments on here and in their own gyms about how bad that they do their job and also how they would do it different. It burns me up to hear this stuff, would you rather see a coach that sits over there and never says a word no matter what. I know some people will say that coaches like Coach K at Duke never act with that kind of emotion. That is true for the most part but he also has 10-12 McDonald's high school all-americans playing for him too. I have heard complaints this year ranging from the coach being to quiet to the coach acting to wild. What do people want? I'll tell you what I want, I want more coaches that teach discipline, hard work, consistency, passion for the game, pride in the uniform, respect for the other school, how to represent the community, dedication to the game, and moral responsibility. The coaches that I mentioned before do that and in today's society they are a dying breed because of critics that see them in the heat of competition and lay down judgement like they are the coaching experts. Come on and try to replace these people that coach at this level and see if you want to put up with what they do. By the way a 12 hour day is on a day when you have early practice and no team to scout. A game day would average probably about 15-16 hours if you are at home. And the coaches do not get overtime pay. See Dallas Williams, I'm sure he can find you an application for the job if you can handle the hours and the criticism but you probably won't be criticized because you have all the answers. Keep on coaching the way you do Donald, there are some of the old schoolers out here that understand!

I think Ned Smith is a keeper as well. Not everybody has the personality to pitch fits, scream and hollar. That doesn't mean he ain't a good coach. He's a class act. Coach Lunsford is a class act as well. If the King was football coach, it would have been 125-0 instead of 72-13. Lunsford is very merciful. He,he! :D