A new Wrestling Poll

tnranker

TNRanker,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your enthusiasm for our sport and interest in taking it to an even higher level. I want to encourage you to release your ranking every week despite anyone's affirmations and rebuttals alike. I believe anything that gains greater attention for wrestling as a sport, positive or negative in the short run, usually ends up being a good thing in the long run.

The website I have run in the past is currently inactive (it was completely down for a while) due to a variety of roadblocks. However, I have continued to develop it's abilities for future years. I am allowing the site (tnmat.net) to be taken over by a larger site being developed currently called the Tennessee Sports Net, which I will be the webmaster of. I let you all in on this to say a few things. First, there are positives and negatives to this, but the positives are well worth it.

By doing this, the "mother site" will provide a much larger amount of features, the best of which will be a fully automated ranking system that we can run an official coaches poll off of. One of the main problems with the past website was that I was never able to complete several of the projectson the tnmat.net site. This will allow things to be done which I was not able to do (although I was naive enough to think they could be done). You are welcome to be a part of this project if you are willing. Since I am probably one of the biggest students of the sport that I know, I'll head this up myself. In the meantime, good luck with your rankings.

(if you are interested in this project, please email me at tnmat@tnmat.net)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, for those of you who do not know who I am... My name is Brian Drinkwine. I am a former Tennessee wrestler and current Education student at UTC. And if you want to know about credibility, I would just say this: I spend ALL my free time studying, reading about, and participating in the great sport of wrestling.

i don't have a problem with this. and who says you have to be or have been a wrestler or coach to have a legitimate poll. a male gynecologist has never had a baby but that doesn't disqualify them from doing the job. the ranking should be strictly based upon the type information that is provided and i don't mind sending info. from the left side of the state as i'm sure alot of the coaches would also. the local fishwraps around the area aren't as good as the other side of the state but do give the scores of matches and some verbiage to go along with the expected picture of a pin. let's get it started, see how it compares with matman, and let the controversy begin!!!! and oh by the way, as the wise and powerful oz once said, "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...."

Hmmm....lets see, some would like a BCS for wrestling!? Interesting....

At this point, what are rankings but opinions. To have a better opinion is to have a better, more accurate ranking, and so better more accurate information.

So why not submit all the info to whomever? These arent personal.

I know TNmat, and understand the effort he will put in. I dont know TNranker but does that give him more or less credibility? No. The proof for either and all will be in the accuracy of their particular rankings.

And in the end, there is only one POLL that really counts. See ya in February!

What a sport! The only true sport in America!

reftn

Coach Gonyea: If anyone has a right to know who votes in the poll, you do. After all, you're a wrestling coach for Heaven's sake! Furthermore, you should be a participant in the poll.

Consider: Last week Bradley was voted number 1 (believe me, they are.) They had 100 points - 10 points for each first place vote. One would deduce, there were only 10 votes, i.e., 100 points divided by 10 = 10 first place votes.

Are there only 10 votes in this poll? If so, who? Shouldn't every wrestling coach in the state be given a vote? What could be fairer?

Oh well...at least we take a final poll in Feb.