No experience State Champs

slicknquick

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slicknquick, My memory is not what it ought to be, but my best recall says that Larry Hunter pulled his feat off in 1971 when the tournament was held at Baylor. Also, wasn't that Agnew's third championship? A Nashville official had the match and received a disapproving response from the largely Chattanooga crowd when they felt he made a no-call toward the end of the match (stalling I believe) that would have been in Hunter's favor. I believe the match ended 1 - 0. It was a great entertaining match involving two outstanding and evenly-matched athletes.

The 1972 tournament was held at Hillwood High and was the occasion of Marty Francis' fourth State Gold.

RMC, Dean Smith's Gold came in 1973 when the State was hosted by Brainard High.

delaWarr...thanks, you are correct 1973. Dean was my next door neighbor. His brother Gary was a pretty fair wrestler too. I should remember that year, my brother was on that team too!

delaWarr.....Lets check your memory; do you remember who the coach of that team was?

Here is the answer you have be requesting. Rodney Reese from Howard was a first year wrestler when he defeated Lincoln Williamson of Dobyns-Bennett in the 98lb state finals of 1987. He had placed 4th in his region then won the state the following week. He was as strong quick kid that the coach had found wrestling around in the grass with some buddies and recognized his natural ability.