Stunts

strongbad2014

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...I can completely relate with that strongbad. We only have 10 girls on our squad and 4 are new to high school cheerleading...and our middle school squad doesn't stunt. We have the same problem. You can try different variations of libs like bubba suggested. Not only are there stretches, arabesques, and scorpions, but you can do retakes, matrices, and flatbacks with libs. Any kind of variation to your old stunts is refreshing for the crowd. Even if it's similar. Things that look a little different will get the crowd's attention. Work on some good baskets and do variations of those as well such as kick baskets, toe-touch baskets, and pike baskets. Do you know what quarter-ups and half-ups are? You can try those as well. We do a backhandspring reload to prep-pause extention full down and it's really cute...it's also fast-paced so it get the crowd's attentions. Do you know what leap-frogs are? Those are fun as well. As far as pyramids go, you can do 3 preps without backs, you can do a lib with a chair in front of it holding the foot, you can do a stretch with a prep-level single base beside it holding the foot up, you can do an arabesqu with the flyer holding the shoulders of a person in a shoulder sit. There aren't many variations with 9. I know it's tough but just try to get creative. If you have any questions about the stuff I've mentioned let me know!

This is how you do the stunt:

The flyer does a standing backhandspring in front of the stunt back toward the stunt and as soon as she lands, she jumps into the awaiting bases' arms in a cradle position. The bases then dip once, dip again, and pop the flyer up so that the flyer is preparing to go into a prep with the flyers feet in the bases hands and her arms on their shoulders ready to push off of them. They then go up to a prep, dip and take it to an extention. Then they execute a basic full down. It's really cute when done properly. Let me know if this is clear or not.

It's not too hard if you do it right. The flyer just has to remember to REBOUD out of the hanspring into the bases arms then pull her hips under her for the reload/squish. Also make sure the bases don't pop straight up orthe flyer will not be able to get her hips under her and the stunt will fall off the back before you even get to the elevator. The back spot can assist in this by grabbing the flyer's waist and making the stunt J-up to the squish instead of going straight up and down.

HaHa Im not a coach YET. I am just a junior in high school. But I have been cheering almost my whole life. I prolly know everything there is to know about any stunt you could do...me and one of my coaches competed in an open stunt competition when I was a freshman and we even made up some of our own stunts...so if you ever hear of the "crothch rocket", "poop shoot", or "walk up craziness"..that was me! HaHa I am a flyer but have based a little bit and I pay attention to all the aspects of the stunts we do and know how every part is done and what everyone has to do to hit the stunt...so no one is wrongly blamed when a stunt doesn't hit. That's why I know so much about it, I'm really observant.

• 2 weeks later...

I relate with you Flipn. I've been cheering for about 10 years now. I love it to death, but it gets pretty stressful sometimes. Once you watch or perform a stunt over and over it's not hard to pick up all the details of it. I've learned a lot in my ten years. I'd like to coach a competition squad sometime later in life. I don't know how I'll say goodbye to cheerleading once I graduate.

Edited by eaglefan8