Kentucky's Proposition 13

TheBigRedDog

These are the authors of the proposal:

Proposed by Frank Watson, Paul Dunbar; Jerry Mezur, Henderson County; Joe Ruddell, Tates Creek and Mark Swift, Ashland Blazer

We played Dunbar, but that wasn't until the last round of playoffs. Henderson Co...don't know who their beef is with, Tates Creek, Lexington Catholic, a 3A school, I think, and Ashland Blazer's beef is with Rose Hill and basketball.

Interesting, huh?

Now, even more interesting is that Proposition 4, which deals with out-of-state students competing in KY schools, is authored by the AD at Eastern High School, which is one of the Jefferson County schools who refuse to play Trinity @ the JV and Frosh levels.

Now, that rule I can understand, for the most part. But, that isn't really an issue, as far as I know, in Louisville. Or, if it is, it hasn't been raised locally.

AND....the Eastern AD sits on the Board of Control.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, even more interesting is that Proposition 4, which deals with out-of-state students competing in KY schools, is authored by the AD at Eastern High School, which is one of the Jefferson County schools who refuse to play Trinity @ the JV and Frosh levels.

Now, that rule I can understand, for the most part. But, that isn't really an issue, as far as I know, in Louisville. Or, if it is, it hasn't been raised locally.

AND....the Eastern AD sits on the Board of Control.

Do you have any private boarding schools in the KHSAA?

rockmom, I hope for one that Ky does not split like Tn did. Gobigred is absolutely correct on all fronts.

I for one am an alumni from a large public school in Tn and hate what the split did to competion and the state cohesiveness in athletics. It seems like every little problem is solved by adjuring more seperation than just harder work and preparation. I for one would love to see the Division II team rejoin the publics in the field of honest competion. But ....that will not happen...way too much finger pointing, lying and cryin' to ever get back to what I enjoyed some years ago.

I just hope your governing body has more backbone and overall foresight to weigh the potential benefits and problems that will occur. Good luck.

But I do see a great opportunity in a huge private league for the Southeast. That would be interesting.

I agree with Greenwave. Its ok for someone who supports public schools to not want a split. I think there are alot more like this but are scared to go against this minority group in the public sector because they are afraid. Kind of like the red scare many years ago. lol.

Edited by Gov

Well, update! Proposal 13 was voted down today, 127-111...111 being against. A 2/3 vote was needed to pass, so it would have needed 159 votes to pass.

Interestingly, Proposotion 4 was also voted down, but I don't know the count. Proposition 4 dealt with out-of-state and foreign exchange student's eligibility to play athletics in KY.

So, I guess all is well for another year.

Wonder what they'll cook up for next year?

I found it extremely interesting that 3 senators and the Catholic Convention all spoke out against the above proposals. I was surprised to see such support from the senators, especially.

Edited by rockmom