CBHS V. COLLIERVILLE

usfjim

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah, dude, the duel match of the 03-04 season isn't going to happen? probably best if we were only going to see freshmen/jv anyway. ok, that leaves us board watchers plenty of speculation room on what would have happened. i'll start the smack by saying that it would be back and forth early, then the dragon breathes fire from 30 thru 40; at 52/60 the combination of dragons west/graham would pin marable/velasco in the first period (major upset?), yea, that's the ticket; faulkner would have wrestled up, avoiding big mike, who in the 89 match ripped off a jv kids arm and beat him with it until he laid down for the pin. faulkner and saint would have a classic big man match. faulkner catches saint in a head and arm late in the third for back points and the comeback win. brother pins at 75 for the....................you guessed it, a tie! criteria would be even for the first 87 tie break combinations used in the rule book and coach l. and coach c. wouldn't know what to do next except have the zebra flip a coin. in a miraculous event, (they were suppose to be wrestling in the hollowed brother arena), the coin lands on its side and everyone determines a tie is meant to be.

I don't know the situation between CBHS and Collierville and why they cancelled their match. I am disippointed for sure. If you want to look for reasons why wrestling can't keep its fans, you don't need to look to far now. I, for one, am frustrated at coaches who decide not to wrestle for one reason or another. PUT YOUR DARN TEAM ON THE MAT when you have a scheduled match. Wether it is your back-ups or not. You owe the fans that much for their support. What do you think would happen to the football coach if he decided to not play because his boys needed rest or had some who were injured? Probably fired! Coaches, get a grip and serve your fans and supporters with more respect than you show. It is no wonder wrestling is losing support each year. :D

Edited by takedown42

takedown42, dude, chill. if the coaches only had to trot out their team once a week, ala football, everything would be ok. baseball doesn't require the best pitchers to throw everyday because those little girly boys need to rest their arms. and the toughest sport requires periods of time to repair the body. if you have back to back weekends of tournaments, then a dual or two in between that week, you could experience 10-15 matches in the span of eight days. and this time of year, you focus a little more on the state picture than the ramifications of meaningless matches. remember, these guys don't wear pads nor helmets. i'm disappointed also, but don't use this topic as a platform for tearing down coaches or the sport in general. by the way, in my speculative match, brothers josh wrestles a handicap match against the dragon 12 and 19. of course, in my world, he pins both with a first period banana split.

brother blowout, your brain must be on fire, enfuego. simulate the matchups and it just doesn't add up to anything but a tie. i know you think the brother wins by one but big mike costs the brother a team point when he rips off the jv kids arm, remember??????? (i'm sure b.o.t.w. or someone else might have a more analytical approach than i used). by the way, i did catch a glimpse of the marables climate controlled cage while visiting this weekend. the way these guys can wrestle, we know why there is a hospital directly across the street. also, i heard the emergency room had additional staff on call this weekend when they heard homewood was in town. seth garvin, what a man!

enfuego, You have a keen eye for sarcasm. You should get out to the mats more, if you think CBHS would blow out Collierville. It wasn't so long ago that Bartlett lost by only 10 to the brothers. I'll be the first to admit that CBHS would be the favorite, but you have to look at the line ups from top to bottom. Collierville mostly dominates the lower weights and CBHS dominates the upper weights. I think the dual comes down to just a few matches that Collierville would need to take to win: 103 (Johnson/Britcliff v. Alsobrook), 145 (Packer v. Newman), 160 (Graham v. Velasco), and 215 (Rogers v. Saint). If Collierville were to take 3 of these, it would be very, very close, assuming that there were no upsets at any other weights.

takedown, would you rather Collierville put a team out there full of half varsity and half JV, only to get spanked and maybe injured by the much more physical CBHS upper weights? Football is about the fans and making money. Wrestling is about the sport and the kids. It's not the same as in football, where you will lose $10,000 in ticket sales if you don't have the game. The coaches are looking out for the safety and well-being of the kids. Also, I've never heard anyone say, "I don't like wrestling, because y'all cancel duals every once in a while." By the way, if you want to see some good wrestling tommorow, go to the Houston/Ridgeway/Bartlett tri-meet, and try to be a little more sympathetic to kids who are going all out for up to 6 minutes 10 or 15 times a week, with practices in between. They do it for the competition and their love for the sport, not to entertain you.

Jim, surely you heard that the prodigy himself (Baucke), got stuck by Speroff just a couple of weeks ago at the Franklin tournament. Maybe he's not as invincible as we thought, although you must admit that he's a brave little guy for wrestling up as a freshman (I heard he wrestled up just to wrestle Speroff).

Edited by best_of_the_west