Giles County Fans and Students

GCcoach

Giles County fans and students I have read most of your threads that are related to your basketball team. First of all it really should not matter who starts and who does not start. Once the game begins everyone becomes a player. If Zach should not be starting and that your opinion that is ok because that is what these boards are for. If you will allow me a moment I would like to explain something. I have coached Zach more than any coach has ( Jr. Pro, AAU, High School). I can tell you that he is a tough kid. (example) He had ACL surgery last February. Most people require 4 to 6 months to recover from this surgery. He was playing basketball in three months and did not wear a brace and continues not to wear one. The doctors told him that if his leg strength got to 90% he would not need a brace. He worked hard in rehab so that he would not have to wear the brace as well as to make sure he would be ready to play this year.

As far as scoring, he was taught by me to get everyone in the game and look to score later. I believe that Giles Co. is blessed with many players that could start and play. I know that Zach feels lucky that he is able to start. I think if you asked him about starting he would tell you that he cares more about getting to play than starting. Fans, coaches, and players alike read this message board. 2live, you said that Zach that is playing the best that he can and that your are not downing him but then say that there is no question that he should not be starting. Does Zach make the starting line-up? I don’t think so. In Zach's words, "quit hating on him." Coaches will always be criticized for who they play and who they do not. That is a part of the job of coaching. Fans opinions can have an affect on all the attitudes of players good or bad, just be careful. Giles County has many players that have a great deal of talent, some more than others, and some different than others. If Coach Holt wants Zach to score, all he has to do is tell him and he will work hard to do whatever's best for Giles County basketball.

The last thing I would like to say is that starting is for players that work hard in games and practice. I have not seen a full practice so I have no idea who should be the starting five. Some are obvious (Tyler and Shay). If you have not been at every practice you might want to hold your opinion or be careful with it! 2live. Glyndon, Kroger and anybody else, Ump is not a relative but a good friend of the family. I know because I am.

Coach Mike Holt (Zach's Dad)

P.S. I am proud of him and his brother Josh on and off the floor!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dads don't have to justify why there sons start, or come to there rescue when things are bad. My suggestion is let his play speak for itself. If he is starting then he is playing the role that the head coach wants. It is to bad that Giles County cannot just enjoy the season and quit second guessing the coaches every decision or having to justify them. They won the state last year, enough said.

Alright guys...I have went 4 pages back in this forum and deleted everyone of my threads that had anything to do with a Giles County player. If I missed one, let me know.

I was under the impression that this site and especially this forum was designed for High School Basketball fans, players, coaches, etc. to critique their favorite team...either good or bad. I must have been wrong. I never said anything personally toward Zach, I just stated my opinion and they were just that...my opinions. If I had been alone in my thinking, it wouldn't have mattered...they would have still been my opinions. You guys get on here and analyze every post and the one guy went as far as calling calling Glyndon and myself out of every other Giles County fan that posts on here well, that was like the POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK. I am a graduate of Giles County High...I follow the basketball program very closely and I know what happens when talent is wasted...everyone ends up on the losing end. If you guys are familiar with Giles County basketball you know what I am talking about.

As for Zach...the kid is talented...no one will argue that. He fits in with the Giles County team very well. My statements in the other threads were simply saying that everyone struggles, but it is during that time of struggle, that someone else has to step up and take that role on. Coffey has done that for Giles County, but it doesn't seem to be enough and that is the real sad part. I am not in any way taking anything away from Zach...he just seems to be in a lull...maybe it is just me or maybe that is what the coaching staff wants him to do. If the latter is the case, then someone needs to step back and re-examine the situation.

I had also said in some of the previous threads that Tyler Smith was slacking on both ends...no one would argue that point. Likewise...I have praised Zach in many of my post but I guess you guys failed to read those post. You might ought to find them and read them and then come back and talk to me.

Until that point, I am done with this site and with you guys...opinions are no longer welcome if they aren't in the interest of everyone that reads them...am I right.

Edited by krogers

Gov, I understand what you said and you make a great point. Beleive me I am not defending him or sticking up for him. He can do that on his own with his play. I was just stating that sometimes opinions on Zach or any of the other Giles Co. players can be harmful to team unity. These kids have a chance to repeat as state champions. All kids have good and bad games and above all they are aware when they do so. There is nothing wrong with stating opinions, just remember that you are dealing with kids, be careful.

maybe zach is in a "lull" because he has been so criticized lately. he maybe thinking too much about what his peers are saying that it is getting in his head. i think GCcoach is right you need to be careful with what you say cuz they are kids and it could definitely hurt the unity within the team. it would be horrible to see someone get bitter because of what others were whispering into their ear. the team needs to stay together, support each other, and win AND lose together!

here is the sad thing that many are missing....

coacht has been so gracious to allow US some room to state our opinions about high school sports....... thank you coacht.....

but some on here just want to be so "negative" towards coaches, players, and everyone else....and some people just want to bash........

this is not a college or pro message board.....it is a high school board.......and many coaches and high school kids read these threads......

as an adult, how do you feel about reading a negative post about your child......

what if your company started a "message board" and employees could 'HIDE" behind a screen name....how would you like to read something everyday "negative" about how "pitiful" you are and how bad you do your job........

maybe coacht should require a signature at the bottom of each post......

and thanks mike kerby at halls high school, since my wife read your thread, where she saw that you sign your post.....well crap....now i have to sign.....thanks a lot dude.....i thought marriage was suppose to be 50/50....well it is more give and take....you give more than ya take.... :justwrestle:

mark grant

dyersburg, tn

Edited by mg