Best High School Wrestler

kdgibson1

Nick won't say it so I will. Not only was he sick that match he cut all week to make 52 for that tourney to help our team out then bumped up to wrestle Quinn at 60. Taking nothing away from Quinn's win, it would have been a much better match under different circumstances. Of course everyone's got excuses so I'll just shut up.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Nick Marable beat Scott a couple of times last year only to lose to Scott in the state finals? I wouldn't say Marable is the best in Tennessee this year but I would say he is the best Jr. in the state. If Marable doesn't win state this year I think that would speak volumes about the level of wrestling in Tennessee. I seriously doubt if Marable is concerned where any particular individual may or may not be.

Lane beat Leen earlier in the year. Leen beat Lane later in the year. On that alone, neither one of them could be considered the best in Tennessee. I would have to say the three best, most dominant wrestlers in Tennessee this year are Kyle James of Soddy, Quinn Gipson of Bradley and Michael Marable of CBHS. As far as the best, my vote goes to James.

Kyle James without a doubt. he is 2x state champion, should be a three time state champ, but was only 92lbs. as a freashman. he is a 4x USA wrestling all-american, including his 4th place finish at jr nationals last year were he defeated 5 returning all-americans. he defeated anthony burke from Virginia his first match at jr. nationals last year, and also defeated friskhorn from virginia for 3rd and 4th at schoolboy nationals a couple of years ago. kyle is very young for his grade, he will be 17 when he graduates.

This has to be the most dominant and Gibson right there with him.

soms

The score of Gibson v Marable was 10-4. Nick got the first takedown and two escapes. He also, in fact, went up a weight class to wrestle one the best. I think it funny that some people can see that as a way to punish a wrestler in a discussion such as this. He stepped up to the challenge of Gibson (by the way, they are friends). It would have been much easier for him to just stay at 152. He has always done this, and I have let him as long as I didn't think it would effect the outcome of the match for the team. As a freshman he cut down to wrestle Keller and Dunning. I think it more of an admirable characteristic that he likes to wrestle the best then a reason to hold against someone. As far as the thread goes, a number of wrestlers could be tagged the the states best, it is complete speculation and can never be proven. For all of these guys a compelling argument can be made. One other point of contention, Scott is a 3x state champion, how many of these other fine wrestlers had to go through a defending state champion to win their first title?????? I would be willing to bet not many if any.

Chris Lewis

CBHS

ok, this past w/e, i was in the company of a former state gold medalist in the stands at brothers arena and i quote, (well kinda), "i think mike is a better wrestler and has better technique than nick" (almost to the word) i always thought it but wouldn't voice it however when you think about it, big mike is already a state champion, should be twice. and that "ripping off the arm, beating a wrestler til he falls on his back and is pinned" move is second to none.

Edited by usfjim

After the CBHS tourny I have to look at one of my one , Whitt Dunning. State Champ last year, Beat the Helias kid @ CBHS and I believe is undefeted this year. I also think u gotta mention Jimmy Hiller..State Champ with one loss this year to Park HIll.....To all the Ryan bashers their is no need to jump on my for this one...

papa,

Great point on Nick choosing to move up or down to get the best match, when it does not put the team in a bad situation. Great of you to make that happen for him as well.

Also, I believe that Gibson had to go thru a defending state champ from Cleveland two years ago (N. Jones). Yeah, I know, Jones was an injury default in the final, but Gibson wrestled him many times that year and won each on them.

Both Nick and Quinn are two fine wreslers.