Inmature Coaching

Sportster

someone posted that if you are pressing team, you should press with your 2's and 3's. Well, I don't about any of you coaches but if it team is so bad at breaking your press and the other team can't handle the ball, all you develop is bad pressing habits. Personally, if a team is any good at all they can't be pressed. if you need any proof just see how many teams press in the state tourney for the entire game. Not many. some might run full court man. So, pressing a bad team just proves one thing, you have better athletes/players.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a team is up by 20 or 30 at half the coach knows he is in control of the game. The bench kids should be put in for experience. I know of a team that only puts in the bench players with 2 min left in the game and leaves starters in the entire game except for the last 2 min. There are alot of teams that puts starters in then take out and let some young players play when the lead is this much. It is a shame that some seniors and juniors never touch a floor to play when the score is a 30 or more lead. Some coaches need to understand the deducation that the older kids have commented for the team and never get to play. When you know the game is over at half which most of the time you can tell when you press and the other team cannot even get the ball across the line and your kids steal the ball and score every time you are in control. Not all games are run away games so let some of the kids play that never get to and don't take a chance in hurting your starters just for running up the score. Each kid on the team is there for a reason and that is to be given a chance to show what they can do. They all work very hard and they all should be given a chance to play. Running up the score with your starters not only is shameful for the other team it is to me purposely hurting your team. Give all a chance and show good sportsmanship..

Let me reiterate my original post. Team "A" is winning by 65 points with one minute to go in the game and the coach is still in a full court press with even some of her starters still in the Game. HOW IGNORANT! An aggressive half court man to man or an aggressive zone I fully understand, but a full court press winning by 65, get real. Maybe Coaches need a moral and ethical review board to hold them accountable for their unsportsmanlike actions. What do you think?

apples and oranges comparing college 30 point lead to a high school 30 point lead. Because the shot clock and the caliber of athletes. Is it o.k. to run the score up on a coach who has done it to you. An eye for an eye. Personally I say no, because the deal is this. I would like to say I'm above that type of action.

What I have seen in our county is the coaches egos get in the way of coaching girls in the game of basketball. Then what generally happens when we get in a close tight game we tend to lose. I think these type coaches have lost the sight of how many kids it takes to win a game and that they must work with all the players instead of the two or three. They have lost sight of the team work involved. Coaches that press 20-30 ahead with the first team need to be watched closley. I agree what go around comes around.

I know this post is really about coaches running the score up, but what about the coaches who encourage their players to physically harm opponents? I think ethically that is far worse than running the score up (although, I don't agree w/that either.)

Example, Pigeon Forge played Chuckey Doak last night. CD is a very aggressive team. They beat us at our place and it was a close game on their home court last night. By aggressive, I mean they would literally knock our players down. Now, PF has a reputation for being a physical team as well, so I'm not griping about that. But what I have a problem with, is CD coach telling one of her players to "hit her harder the next time!" Previously in the game, one of CD players took our point guard out (no foul called). She had to sit out awhile, but was able to return to the game. During the last few minutes of the game, they needed to foul us to stop the clock. The same girl fouled our point guard by hitting her over the head as she reached for the ball. That is when their coach made her remark. I understand when coaches tell players to foul to stop the clock, but there is no need for that kind of behavior. Had CD not played as rough as they did and the coach not made that remark, I would have walked away with good comments about them as a team. They did bring their "A" game to us both times; however, we just could not make our shots last night. :angry: