Shot Clock in High School

Doc Phil

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a state association adoption thing with the shot clock? I mean, can different states opt to use it, and others not? One of my friends here at UT is from North Carolina, and he said they used a shot clock in high school games there. So is it something that the NFHS says can be done as each state sees fit?

I understand the cost considerations and that is the one key factors to prevent this from happening. However, it should be considered for the following reasons:

1) It would speed the game up (action wise) exspecially in the girls game.

2) More people would attend (the main reason people tell me they do not go

is because it is too boring to sit through the girls game and they don't

want to pay for just the boys.

3) Highschool sports is suppose to be a type of building block for the future.

i) In life most everything you do will have time constraints.

ii) Why not teach it at the highschool level with something as simple as

shooting a basketball.

iii) It will speed up their decision making process (another quality needed

in future endeavors)

These are just a few of my thoughts. And I hope a shot clock makes its appearance in a highschool gym soon.

They could always use a shot clock starting in the region tournaments. Make it like 45 seconds which is plenty of time. This would move all the region tournaments to bigger venues like Colleges and stuff. I think this is something I might look into, but yes it's too expensive for TSSAA to put shot clocks in every high school...unless we can get a anonymous donor or something!

I think it would be a mistake. Now the teams have the option of burning some time with a "stall" offense, if the defense can't break it. It takes that option away from them, even in a blow-out game with your end-of-the-bench players in.

Do we REALLY need more offense?

3) Highschool sports is suppose to be a type of building block for the future.

A huge percentage of these kids will never play competitive ball after this. What is gained with the shot clock?

Plus, it WOULD take some cash to rig up every gym...some are REEL proud to have a scoreboard!

JMHO...

:)

not everyone's offensive weapon is to speed the game up. some teams offense is slow down and let the other team play defense and other things you all talk about is the time taken off the clock because teams just hold the ball well if the other team plays defense then you wont have that problem but thats just my p.o.v.

I think a shot clock would be great for the high school level. If you plan to go on to college and play, they use a shot clock. Why not start earlier? It also gives the game a thrill of excitement. It never lets a team out of the game. You don't have any of this stalling that goes on at the end of the games. With a shot clock you can still stall but you have to still get a good shot. I love the idea of a shot clock and would definitly support it.