Possible solution? 6 man / 8 man football

gobigred

I spent some time during the holidays reading material on the 6 man and 8 man football programs in Texas, Kansas, Idaho etc. There appears to be a great deal of respect for these programs in these states and much enthisiasm in the small towns that field teams.

It seems to me that this concept has some real positives for any small rural public school program that could very well benefit those in Tennessee. Some of the positives I see are:

1. Less players needed for participation.

2. Less financial resources required for the program

3. Smaller field, more intimimate setting for games in smaller communities

4. Wide open play generates exciting action for players and fans

5. Might allow some of the smallest schools without a football program to develop one

6. Very small schools could win a championship with only a couple of "studs" in a given year.

7. More level playing field for very small schools.

Consider the following questions:

-Could establishing a 6 man or 8 man football league / classification help resolve the concerns of our small rural public schools?

-Could establishing such a league possibly allow more schools across the state to establish football programs?

-Could such a concept ever receive serious consideration in Tennessee? If not, why not?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent some time during the holidays reading material on the 6 man and 8 man football programs in Texas, Kansas, Idaho etc. There appears to be a great deal of respect for these programs in these states and much enthisiasm in the small towns that field teams.

It seems to me that this concept has some real positives for any small rural public school program that could very well benefit those in Tennessee. Some of the positives I see are:

1. Less players needed for participation.

2. Less financial resources required for the program

3. Smaller field, more intimimate setting for games in smaller communities

4. Wide open play generates exciting action for players and fans

5. Might allow some of the smallest schools without a football program to develop one

6. Very small schools could win a championship with only a couple of "studs" in a given year.

7. More level playing field for very small schools.

Consider the following questions:

-Could establishing a 6 man or 8 man football league / classification help resolve the concerns of our small rural public schools?

-Could establishing such a league possibly allow more schools across the state to establish football programs?

-Could such a concept ever receive serious consideration in Tennessee? If not, why not?

Doesn't Kentucky have some 8 man football?

No

Yes

I doubt it. The vast majority of the small publics have the participation level to play 11 man football. Sure we all know of a small school or two that has been struggling to get enough kids out. I am familiar with region 6A. The only school in that region that has had any problems with keeping enough kids out is Cornersville. The other 9 schools in the region have plenty of kids. It would be next to impossible to convince any of those 9 to drop to 8 man ball. Sure Cornersville might think about it. So might Red Boiling, Gleason, or Cosby. But thats not enough interest to get it going. The problem is not the number of kids out at most of the small schools, but the lack of talent to win a state championship. Sure there is a school or two out there with an outside chance, ie South Pitt. But it is to the point if you are small rural public you are resigned to simply try to win your district and hope you don't get hammered to bad in the playoffs. At this point someone is thinking that it shouldn't be all about winning, and you are right. However, do you really expect even semi-intelligent people to look at the playoff record of privates vs. publics the last few years (36-3) and expect coaches and players who are working their tails off to just shrug and say, "winning doesn't really matter anyway".

Since ELA wants a pure thread elsewhere (wow, is that a change in attitude or what?) I guess we will post here now. It seems that the only thing possibly holding the smaller schools back from a 6/8 man brand of football is their (in my view wrong) perception that it isn't "real" football. I would argue that for some of the small schools where less than 20 players turn out for football, it is a very real solution, and indeed would resolve some of the split issues being argued over.

Since ELA wants a pure thread elsewhere (wow, is that a change in attitude or what?)  I guess we will post here now.  It seems that the only thing possibly holding the smaller schools back from a 6/8 man brand of football is their (in my view wrong) perception that it isn't "real" football.  I would argue that for some of the small schools where less than 20 players turn out for football, it is a very real solution, and indeed would resolve some of the split issues being argued over.

Sorry if that came off wrong! I just hate the idea of 6 man football! My wife says sometimes I can come off like a snob. Maybe she's right! :D

Edited by ELA

It seems that the only thing possibly holding the smaller schools back from a 6/8 man brand of football is their (in my view wrong) perception that it isn't "real" football. I would argue that for some of the small schools where less than 20 players turn out for football, it is a very real solution, and indeed would resolve some of the split issues being argued over.

Exactly. One of the major stumbling blocks to resolving the current dilemma is the unwillingness of the majority of the coaching establishment to "think outside the box". Times have changed yet the most folks seem to keep trying to force a solution for small schools by tweaking an outdated system or even worse, diluting competition even further.

The 6 man and 8 man programs are very successful in their respective states, and they offer small schools the opportunity to play an exciting brand of football against schools with similar participation levels and financial resources.

Why not consider this idea as a viable option?

At this point someone is thinking that it shouldn't be all about winning, and you are right. However, do you really expect even semi-intelligent people to look at the playoff record of privates vs. publics the last few years (36-3) and expect coaches and players who are working their tails off to just shrug and say, "winning doesn't really matter anyway".

I would expect coaches and players of "small rural publics" to acknowledge that there are solutions other than "kicking out" the privates. I also would expect (and hope) that coaches and players do care about winning and would, as gobigred pointed out, consider playing a certain brand of football (in this case, 6-man or 8-man) with schools of similar participation and resource levels that would provide the opportunity to win.

Why is it that some people would clamor for DI privates to be sent to DII to play with "similar" schools but would balk at an initiative that would accomplish the same result - having similar schools playing on the same level playing field?

While the concept of 6-man or 8-man football doesn't necessarily excite me, I feel strongly that anyone against even remotely exploring the concept is more interested in creating a system that benefits them personally (and perhaps punishes another) than a structure that is fair and logical to all.