Not fessing up to a loss

atn301

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies and gentlemen, I know the TSSAA rules quite well. I know Seymour doesn't HAVE to count that game. That's not what I am arguing here. What I am arguing is a character issue and the idea of not accepting defeat. I believe Seymour should accept defeat as easily as victory because both come at any level of sports or in any facet of life. And in all honesty, if coaches with 500+ wins like Johnny Morgan at McMinn Central and Jill Prudden at Oak Ridge even count them as losses, then I certainly believe that those coaches who will NEVER reach that pinnacle should as well. In other words, if it isn't below those folks, it isn't below the rest.

I agree w/ you atn...i think it should be counted also...a wins a win, a loss is a loss. Any game should count. I see what you are saying. I know the rule also, but don't agree with it. There's nothin we can do to change it, but anyone who follows AA knows they lost and that Central won. I wish they could meet again, which they might, but it would be a good game, that either team would have to count if it was a loss. And yeah, Johnny Morgan would count it...he would count summer playdays if he was allowed...but yeah, i see what you are sayin.

I agree with atn301, rule or not a classy program would count it as a loss. See it's all about accountability, coaching is a tight-knit fraternity and I have to beleive that Seymour's coach, or any other coach who chooses to go this route, has lost a bit of respect from his/her fellow coaches. In all honesty, after the big win against Seveir County, I still think Seymour would be a highly rated team with two losses. Advice: Let your players learn a lesson about accountability. If you lose, accept it.

Hall of Fame games are what were called scrimmages. The TSSAA wanted money to build something and came up with these special games. Do we count every scrimmage we play? No!

Do we have a play day in the Spring that we bring in 4 teams, that are in Spring practice at the same time and charge a gate to pay for officials? Yes! Do we need to count those games also?

Again, no! Our summer league or camp games? By TSSAA guidelines special situations arise in the Hall of Fame games as far as gates and such. They are not regular season games. They are special scrimmages. We split last year and didn't count them. This year we just played afternoon scrimmages. Quit complaining, you are whinning, trying to justify your record, and be glad you have a good team.

I can sympathize with the feeling about the hall of fame games, and agree that they should be considered exhibition. However, we must realize that they are nothing more than money makers for the TSSAA.

Like it or not, they've set the rules, and I can handle the rulse they've set. But if you really want to talk about not owning up to losses, you ought to look at some of the teams in East TN. When checking on scores, you can always tell when certain teams lost at home b/c they won't call in the games.

Certain teams act as if the loss won't come out if they (the home school) don't call it in. Come on!!! These teams need to grow up and call in all scores win or lose!!

Everytime 2 teams step out on the court they should count it as a win or loss..Hall of fame game or not it's still a loss and someone came ready to play and spent hours practicing leading up to that and to set the record straight Oak Ridge didn't count the loss to Heritage. It hasn't been brought up since they beat them. They have only counted the losses at their Christmas tournament. Check for yourself at prepxtra.com!