Loretto 68, Lewis Co. 65

PageMan

In my "silent observation" of this game, I would like to add one more thing. As I sat in my customary position behind the scorer's table, I noticed Mallory Clayton sitting on the end of the Lewis Co. bench. While she may be out for the rest of the season, she was there enthusiastically supporting her team, yelling out instructions to her team mates, and being a positive influence. Instead of being down & out, she was upbeat. All players should have such a positive attitude when unfortunate things happen to them. I applaud her efforts in being there for her team and supporting them even though they lost a close game. Good luck in the future, Mallory.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing i would like to address is that this will be my last post on coacht.

It seems that i have made a mistake on an earlier point about what coach helton said after the game. I thought that i put that one of the players thought that he said something that was different than what he said, although he did not say what was thought to be said by the player. It was not even that inappropriate i just felt that i better not post it in case someone didn't like it. Well that post got Coach in trouble with one of our faculty members at school. I am sorry that i posted what i did and got him in trouble and that is the reason that i am not going to post on this site again. I liked coach before this happened and i still like him now, i'm sure that he's not a big fan of me now but I understand why not. I will continue to support the lady panthers by attending all of the games.

Signing out forever, Hunt4

Hey I like Coach Helton too, He's a good coach and a good guy also. :) I think we're really lucky to have him. It is good to see Mallory down there cheering and trying to do as much as she can. Most players would just say forget it if they got hurt during their senior season but she is doing everything she can to help us win. Keep it up Mal. :) :justwrestle:

countyclerk, yes I did receive your email. You should be proud of your daughter as everyone who supports Lewis Co. basketball, even us "friendly enemies" that silently observe your games.

hunt4, I did not see anything wrong with your post. Coach Helton, and many other coaches, say things in their post game talks to inspire their teams to play better next time. Sometimes teams need a wake-up call from their coaches. Coach Helton is a very good coach who does his job with intensity. He is always trying to get the very best effort out of his players. I know he took this loss to Loretto very hard. To be ahead most of the game and then lose in the last seconds can be hard on players and coaches. I'm sure whatever he said was meant to convey the message that you never let up in the final seconds, thinking the game is going to overtime. Players must remain focused and make every pass as good as possible. When I talked with Coach Helton after the boys' game as I was leaving, the first thing he asked about was the turnovers. My scoresheet had Lewis with 14 and Loretto with 8. As a comparison, in Page's game with Brentwood, Page had 14 turnovers while Brentwood had 10. While on most nights, 14 turnovers isn't that bad, for Page & Lewis Co., it wasn't quite good enough as both teams made critical passing errors late in the game that hurt their chance at victory. I'm sure Page's coach, Darrell Barnwell, had some choice words for his team in his post game speech. Coaches' speeches are to make teams aware of their errors in defeat and try to do better in the next game.