Oliver Springs at Anderson County

arnwine

Girls AA ball is WAY DOWN in East Tennessee this year. In the greater Knoxville area Seymour seems to be the class, but do any of the other teams have a REALISTIC chance to make it to the sub-state?

I think so. Take away Seymour and parity exists. The difference between top to bottom is so small that the other spot is WIDE OPEN.

With that being said OSprings seems to be the concensus #2 team. Can they be beaten? I think so.

OS plays Anderson County on Friday which is loaded with young talent. Although AC's record is below .500 they can beat OS. The question is what would it take?

1. Keep the ball out of Hall's hands. The OS guard is one of East Tennessee's most talented players (and an extremely pleasant young lady) and 100% of the lady bobcat's offense runs through her. Good shooter, great ball handler, and she sets up the other players as good as anyone I've seen this year.

Although I am not a fan of "gimmick" defenses, this might be time for a box-and-1 playing ball denial on Hall. AC has an excellent defensive player in Bryant, let her crawl in Hall's jersey full court trying to keep the ball out of her hands. Make someone else bring the ball up the floor and startthe offense.

Once she gets the ball you can drop into a 1-2-2 if you want because Hall likes to stay up top. Stay away from the soft 2-3, it gives her two much freedom, and man-to-man gives her too many passing options if their is a break down. The 1-2-2, with Bryant at the top, lets you go back into the box denying Hall the ball as soon as she passes off. It also lets you trap to the side if she she rotates right or left.

2. Protect the ball. AC has multiple guard combinations, use 3 people to bring the ball up the court. Worthington sees the floor well, maybe put her in the middle. Don't try and break anybody down with the dribble, and stay away from the trap.

3. Move the ball from side to side quickly, and go inside when you get 1-1 match ups. Pick up high and let the guards penetrate.

4. Control the tempo of the game, and don't be afraid to take 3's or penetrate. Too much respect is given to the defense, attack the hoop, looking for the switch then pass.

5. Don't get beat at the line, by too many fouls. Make someone other than Hall beat you. Keep her under 10 and you've got a chance.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really tried to resist but I just can't, can you say "IF A FROG HAD WINGS ?" I'm not saying there is no way but it is highly unlikely that it will happen. Hall is the backbone of the team but the great thing is she has TEAMMATES that can & will step up. Coach Carson tried all of the above on her during her sophomore year and it didn't work then but heck try what you have too. There won't be much rest time for AC after hosting Loudon the night before and I sure hope Katie gets to play, our prayers in OS are with you girl. GO LADYCATS !!!!!!!

Make someone other than Hall beat you. Keep her under 10 and you've got a chance.

Just checked the books... The last time Hall score only ten points in a game, Oliver Springs won 64-17. She scored 11 before that and the Lady Cats prevailed 93-29.

Both games against district opponents.

No team has beaten Oliver Springs scoring fewer than 58 points. It will be necessary to score early and often to overcome the purple and gold.

Easy guys, I like Hall, and think OS has a great ball club. My point is that they are beatable.

Easy, one of my best friends in coaching (Ron Hackworth) took OS to the state finals a few years back and I sat with the bobcat faithful all through the tourney.

I also am friends with your old boys coach Stan Ballard, and had many good games against him.

My point of the post was NOT to predict an upset, but to talk about what I'd do to stop OS. Will it work, OS SHOULD win big, but lets play the game.

Miss Hall, as I said before, you are a class individual, I will miss watching you play. Good luck in college!