State Duals weigh strategy gone next year

CoachDelgado

Congratulations to Bradley and Father Ryan for winning the state duals this past weekend. I will agree with everyone that I was surprised to see Hiller at 119 (121) and the rest of the Ryan mid weights down a weight class. It was a stroke of genius.

I was wondering how the new rules next year will affect things. Under the body fat percentage rules, all wrestlers will have a weight they cannot go below for any reason. At an event like the state or region duals, everyone would already know how low a wrestler can go. There will be no real surprises. Any thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will make the duals a totally different beast than it has been. Most wrestlers will not be able to go down as easily as they could bump up, based on the body fat rules. If that holds true, then an opposing coach should be more able to game plan a line up that he may face, i.e. going up.

I think it will still be a chess match in moving the pieces around to try and make the most beneficial match ups that a coach can.

Sounds like coaches will have more homework to do. Tell me, where will this information be available? For example, Metropolis High School has a 25 pounder, and that’s the lowest he can weigh under the new rules. Is this information made public so that the Smallville High School coach can count on this 25 pounder only being able to wrestle 25 or 30, and strategize accordingly? Will the ref catch it when he weighs in at 19 on the big match day?

How could minimum weights be listed on the TSSAA website if it is a body fat/hydration test? Each person is built different and it will depend on the particular persons build/body fat.

I have been told specifically by TSSAA, coaches and those implementing that it will be the standard mode. Of which I have had a few tested by that specific machine and Doctor to see what it means.

I have more details of the test if you wish to know.