CAK and DII---Enlightenment

BiggestElk

you shouldnt have to wait on secondhand information. here is how my experience worked:

when my oldest child was playing in youth sports, during the 6th grade, a private school coach (who i knew casually because we both had kids in the league-not on the same team) approached me and asked "have you ever condsidered sending x to a private school?"

Why would anyone in their right mind ever name ther child "x"? :) LOL

Laz...I know you don`t want to give a lot of specifics, but what years did this transpire, and was this school then or now ever a Div. II school?

VolGen, are you sort of insinuating that it is ok for a DII school to do that? If so, would you please tell Rollred this? It is to my understanding that rollred is under the impression that NO private school seeks student/athletes.

If not, please excuse me because I misinterpreted where you are trying to go with your statement.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you shouldnt have to wait on secondhand information. here is how my experience worked:

when my oldest child was playing in youth sports, during the 6th grade, a private school coach (who i knew casually because we both had kids in the league-not on the same team) approached me and asked "have you ever condsidered sending x to a private school?"

Why would anyone in their right mind ever name ther child "x"? ;) LOL

Laz...I know you don`t want to give a lot of specifics, but what years did this transpire, and was this school then or now ever a Div. II school?

VolGen, are you sort of insinuating that it is ok for a DII school to do that? If so, would you please tell Rollred this? It is to my understanding that rollred is under the impression that NO private school seeks student/athletes.

If not, please excuse me because I misinterpreted where you are trying to go with your statement.

CSense, see page 1 of this thread. I have already acknowledged (via the open house postcard comment) that private schools seek students.

Just because you disagree with my views doesn't mean you need to attempt to insult my intelligence.

I think I'll follow the advice of itzme et al. and lay low for awhile in this nook of the website. Too many chippy attitudes prevailing on these P/P boards.

Edited by rollredroll

Per the TSSAA recruiting rule"

1. No private school employee may talk to a student or his parents about admission or financial aid unless the student and parents are on the campus for an official admissions visit.

2. If a private school coach is approached, say in the grocery store, by a prospective parent, the coach is to tell the parent that he cannot discuss his child's possible admission. He must contact the school's admissions office. This gets the coach off the hook.

3. The private schools' biggest "recruiters" are present or former parents, who tell friends about their positive experiences in the private school.

4. Most school's admissions "packet" includes the Princeton FA forms, or the parent must request the form.

5. Process: Parent requests admissions application from the school. They may also ask for the FA forms if they are not included in the packet. If there is an application submitted, an admissions test is scheduled. Many of the schools use the ERB as an admissions test. Grades from student's present school must be submitted. If the sudent is admitted, the parents must sign an admissions contract and pay a reservation fee to hold their place for the coming year. Usually the acceptance letter is issued before any discussion of financial aid.

The FA report comes to the school with the information of how much is in the family budget for education. The school then has to determine how much they can help the family close the gap between what Princeton says they can pay and what the tuition costs are. Few private schools can meet the full need of a family.

All schools are seeking academically gifted students and students who can cope successfully with the academic demands of the school. If a student is a proven athlete, artist or musician, this will certainly be in his favor when the school is making admissions decisions. The school generally does not make an admissions decision based on the family's ability to pay. Financial aid is separate from admissions. Once a student is admitted, the parents then have to deal with the financial arrangements.

Baylor uses its scholarships to achieve commendable diversity. Their current basketball team is a wonderful example of this commitment to diversity. They have consistently kept at least one Causcasian on the court no matter how negatively it has impacted play. So here's to need based scholarships and good basketball teams.

Why would anyone in their right mind ever name ther child "x"? ;) LOL

CSense, see page 1 of this thread. I have already acknowledged (via the open house postcard comment) that private schools seek students.

Just because you disagree with my views doesn't mean you need to attempt to insult my intelligence.

I think I'll follow the advice of itzme et al. and lay low for awhile in this nook of the website. Too many chippy attitudes prevailing on these P/P boards.

Rollred,

I must have mistaken some of your posts. I could have sworn you were arguing with me that private schools under no circumstances try to get athletes to attend their school, aka, my friend and his son. Sorry about that, my bad.

a belated answer to fair questions:

t-gen: the child has never complained about being named "x". i wanted hezekiah or zenobia, but i had to compromise with mom.

this all fell way before the split. no one is still involved with tssaa sports, and the school is not, and has never been, a sports power.

royalred: of course they were involved in public forums. winning a scholarship is just like winning championships in sports. it doesnt happen by accident. one must do the things that are required to win, no matter the field. and the best prepared competitor generally comes out on top. so no opportunity was ever allowed to pass.

as an aside, when it came to ball, i gave them their own choice. "nothing says every kid has to love ball." when it came to academics, there was a lot less flexibility. but they grew up in a house where learning was valued, so they just thought that was how things are.