Cyclones: The Cream Rises to the Top

cyclonehomer

I have read enough anti-Elizabethton junk on here. It's time for someone to stand up and back these ladies. They have won 36 games over the last two seasons, one of the best totals in school history. They deserve credit for what they have done.

I saw in both local newspapers, Star and Press, that Unicoi will win the district. But come Thursday those guys will have serious egg on their faces.

I have watched these ladies from a distance and have spoken with their coaches. I am telling everybody that the regular season was just a glorifed practice for the games that really count. These girls will step up and capture the district title. They will pound Sullivan North, beat Sullivan Central and then get over the Unicoi hump.

Just look at the talent, a top-notch point guard with tons of heart in Whitney Bishop, great wings in Valnesha Redd (all-state next season) and Tanya Dykes (small college potential), the best all-around player in east Tennessee in Rikki Baughman (Division I material), and the best freshman post maybe in the state in Michaela Pietrowski. Also, there's players like Brandi Forbes, Cameron Crapps (a rising star), Victoria Hopson (great future potential), Eden Treadway, Valerie Kauffeld and an interesting freshman post Marti Bush who has looked very good in the Jayvee games I have seen this season.

Add it up and I say Watch Out! Here come the Cyclones!!!!!!!!!!!

after the embarrassing performance the cyclowns put out on Monday, it takes a lot of guts or a lot of stupidity to get on here and say the cyclowns are going to win the district. I vote for a lot of stupidity.

CONFERENCE CHAMPION AND DEFENDING CHAMPION Blue Devils rule. Chew on that, cyclownhomer.

I have read enough anti-Elizabethton junk on here. It's time for someone to stand up and back these ladies. They have won 36 games over the last two seasons, one of the best totals in school history. They deserve credit for what they have done.

I saw in both local newspapers, Star and Press, that Unicoi will win the district. But come Thursday those guys will have serious egg on their faces.

I have watched these ladies from a distance and have spoken with their coaches. I am telling everybody that the regular season was just a glorifed practice for the games that really count. These girls will step up and capture the district title. They will pound Sullivan North, beat Sullivan Central and then get over the Unicoi hump.

Just look at the talent, a top-notch point guard with tons of heart in Whitney Bishop, great wings in Valnesha Redd (all-state next season) and Tanya Dykes (small college potential), the best all-around player in east Tennessee in Rikki Baughman (Division I material), and the best freshman post maybe in the state in Michaela Pietrowski. Also, there's players like Brandi Forbes, Cameron Crapps (a rising star), Victoria Hopson (great future potential), Eden Treadway, Valerie Kauffeld and an interesting freshman post Marti Bush who has looked very good in the Jayvee games I have seen this season.

Add it up and I say Watch Out! Here come the Cyclones!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry!! I can't resist this one!

I won't bash the girls on her, but your comments are a bit overstated.

Any team could win 35 games when, say 25 are against teams with losing records.

It is a combination of better talent coming up and scheduling.

Before these few lean years, I believe the Ladies won 3 games in 3 years. So give credit to Farthing and Fritts, who coached all of the current players and started or helped start the Twisters program.

Play a REAL schedule and you'll get your respect and a true reading of how good you are night in and night out.

Any team could win 35 games when, say 25 are against teams with losing records.

Really? Any team could win 35 games in two years if they play a simpleton schedule?

Really? If I'm not mistaken, Elizabethton played an even weaker schedule when it won four games in two years a few years back?

So why didn't those Elizabethton teams win 35 games in two years?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Really? Any team could win 35 games in two years if they play a simpleton schedule?

Really? If I'm not mistaken, Elizabethton played an even weaker schedule when it won four games in two years a few years back?

So why didn't those Elizabethton teams win 35 games in two years?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Good point!!!

Answer: NO FARTHING!!!!!

You can't do anything without talented players. I have had the privilege of coaching most of these young ladies for about seven years at the high school and junior high levels. Talent is God-Given, but it must be nurtured and developed. A cooperative effort between coaches, players, parents, and the Community is required to maximize potential. With the help of many, we have developed such a program in Elizabethton. I have been proud to be a part of it, and have enjoyed working with so many fine people. Our recent and future success will depend on how well we can maintain what we have built.

I fail to see any horn tooting. We are building a program. I would not call Unicoi County weak. Granted we have won no championships yet, but the team has made two straight district finals, and did make a sub-state appearance last year. We may not reach all our goals, but if you don't set your sights on lofty ones you won't get very far. Keep bashing us, it drives us!

What has this God given program done? Finished second in a weak conference? Please toot your own horn somewhere else. Enjoy second until Ricki is gone and then its back to the celler. We all love u coachh but please.

Real Deal,

Newsflash: Nearly all CoachT.com message boards are about "tooting your own horn." And you are going to look very foolish when Rikki leaves and the Cyclones are still one of the best teams in the area. It just shows your lack of knowledge about the younger players in the program. But that's OK, not everybody can be as smart as coachh17, whom you love.

RealDeal's quote on a January 15 post was "they (cyclones) are a better team without her" (rikki). "Ive seen them win without her"

Now he seems to be saying that the cyclones will go to the cellar of the Watauga when Rikki graduates. You can't have it both ways "DOGFAN".

Rikki is a great team player. Other players are more involved in the offense this year. She gets alot of her points on rebound baskets. She had 19 rebounds against North with nearly half on the offensive end. Yes, she will be greatly missed when she leaves,(as will fellow junior Redd and the current seniors) but Homer is right, the cupboard will hardly be empty. The cyclone program is on solid ground.

Edited by coaches_corner