referee decisions determine too many matches

pony20

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with nywrestler that nothing should be taken from Sanders but that Bond Davis should be given the recognition that he clearly deserves as the TN State Champion in the 145 lb. weight class. This is not a case of a judgment call. There is a factual account of the match by the scorers, by many fans and it is recorded on video tape. Why would anyone disagree with what was recorded in every way and deny this young person the thing that he has worked toward for so many years.

This is wrong and the TSSAA should review this matter immediately. This does not happen frequently in wrestling but it is not uncommon. In the last Olympics there was a match between an American wrestler and an Iranian wrestler in which the American won the match. The Iranian team appealed, the match was reviewed and the decision was revered leaving the Iranian the winner. For sure, if the situation were reversed the American people would have seen it and wanted the match to have the opportunity for appeal and for it to be reversed.

This is clearly a matter of right and wrong that dramatically affects a young man's life.

Knox215...how can you say Knox is the better wrestler? He was pinned by Blackmon this summer! And don't say that if you had a 1 point lead in the STATE FINALS your senior year that you would be in there shooting and pushing the action (though your opinion wouldnt matter b/c you probably were never good enough to get there)...that is the person who is losing's responsibility...and how was he losing if he was the better wrestler in the 1st place? Now on to 215...you said bailey was fleeing the mat because he was sprawling hard and throwing his feet back...what do you expect him to do? Let the guy take him down? If a wrestler is losing it is his responsibility to make the scoring happen. You cant say he is stalling because he is blocking a shot. Also, just because a wrestler doesnt take shots, it doesnt mean hes stalling...some wrestler's offenses are slidebys and ducks which both Bailey and Blackmon were trying to work.

And Greenvilefan...the whole point of the 2OT is to hold down your opponent, and the opponents objective is to get up...stalling should not be called on the top wrestler in 2OT (nor have i ever seen it called) because he was doing what he was supposed to do. That is why West was not called for staling again.

The bottom line is that these guys earned what they got. You all are saying that a match should not be lost for a kid by the official, well on the same hand, it shouldnt be won for them either.

Concerning the match with the problems about 2 or 3 cautions. The rule book covers any situation were there are possible scoring errors or misapplications of the rules. Rule 6.5.A.1 covers Correction of Errors in a tournament concerning match scores:

"Errors by the timekeeper, scorer or referee must be corrected prior to the offended contestant leaving the mat area if additional wrestling is necessary. If additional wrestling is not necessary the error may be corrected as long as the offended wrestler or coach remain in the mat area."

According to the accounts given by the officials the coaches and the offended wrestler left the mat area immediately following the match only to return later. Neither official could recall the 3rd caution but there were indications on the scoresheet that showed 3 cautions. TSSAA ruled that the offended wrestler and the coach left the mat area after the match and nothing could be changed.

Even if the 3 cautions did occur:I have not viewed the tape myself: it does not matter. The rules clearly lay out the procedure to correct ANY errors by the official, scorekeeper or timekeeper.

If the 3 cautions did happen, it is very unfortunate. Fault can be placed with several individuals but the rule book covers correction of errors. If the proper procedure is followed it can be corrected and would have been corrected.

I saw previous posts that said that the wrestler had to stay in the mat area, but in reality only the coach has to stay since no additional wrestling was to take place.

I'm not trying to stir things up and no, I did not call the match. I'm also not defending anyone for errors. I'm just pointing out the facts from the rulebook

Both kids are great wrestlers and the match was very intense. I enjoy good wrestling and officiating just as much as the rest of you but mistakes happen and the rulebook does have a way to correct them.

It's time to stop all the complaining and move on. The Union County coach said as much and I think I can speak for Farragut's 171 Knox he's not complaining only training for his next tournament. No matter how well intended Hazlett and Knox supporters are I don't believe either wrestler would care to be a part of this nasty war of words. All the talk doesn't change anything only reflects poorly on those who do so. I personally should have never responded to this thread and added any negative comments about the ref's,that was a mistake. It was a great tournament with a lot of winners and I'm looking forward to next year.

Coach Moorman,

Thank you for the great example of class you have shown in this thread. What are your future plans, will you stay at Union for a while. This has gotten nasty, but you showed respect, even though many Bradley fans won't acknowledge that. Congrats. Also, I was impressed with Brentwoods coaching staff, they did an excellent job as well. Good luck to all next year, hopefully our Region (1) will place more next season.

Striped Shirt,

Wonderful post! This match has been heavily debated on the board as you can see. I do not believe anyone is wanting to take anything away from Luke Sanders. He is a great athlete and deserves to be recognized as a Champion.

I think the big concern was that the official in question, could not remember the all 3 false starts and appeared to make the determination that there was an error by the score keeper. I know these kids work hard and had worked hundreds of matches in a few days!

Based on what I could find in the rulings, you have confirmed my understanding of the rule. The wrestling had concluded and the wrestlers were free to leave, but the coaches were required to stay to finish the discussion. As I stood in the stands, I saw the coaches from Franklin approach the score table upon completion of the match. It appeared they were there before the official signed the bout sheet, but I may be mistaken.

Regardless of the outcome, both of these young men are outstanding athletes and will make their school & wrestling programs proud in the 2005 season.

Again, thank you for your factual post! I appreciate the time you put into your post and hope others do as well. :angry:

Yea you are right i never made it to the state finals but i was a two time state placer and four time state qualifier @215 althouh i never made the finals not many 215 pound wrestlers can say they placed twice and only two from the weight class will go onto place twice this coming year and i coached on of them. and not that this makes any sense the 2003 215 stae champ had one loss to me, unfortunately i sucked a big one when the pressure hitand did not get a second oppurtunity.

Wrestleone,

Do me a favor. Go back to page 3 of this thread and read Coach Moormans' post. Then go to page 4 and read the third post after his. Hey!! that's me ! Do you see the part where I'm appreciative of his post ? Do you sense the friendly nature of my post ? That's because I really respect his comments and the way he takes "the higher road".....

I'm a huge BRADLEY FAN !!

Thanks for making my point for me. Folks like you assume what you would like to believe about others and then pass it off as fact. Don't pretend to know anything about Bradley wrestlers, fans or coaches until you truly know us. Success breeds contempt. We're actually a pretty nice bunch of people.