Top TN 2004 Short Stops

HiwasseeVol

I know a lot of people in the past have been upset, when you see these rankings with Chris K. and Cale I. on them, above Kyle Waldrop(if he is even on the list these people see) and other. I guess they do not understand what all these Showcases and events are that gets your name to certain piblications. So a lot of people, biased people maybe from west knoxville(Farragut) get upset about things like that. I will leave my opinion out on that subject. He does have the height and speed. But has he done anything to get noticibly stronger, because I always felt like that was one thing that he lacks.

I would take your sons word anyday, because I have surely never seen him make a mistake in the field. I just need more exposure to the kid, which who knows I might come out and get this year since I have a lot of afternoons open after class. I respect the input for Bizazz and HV....I was just being closed minded and just did not think there was much that seperated Cale from Micahel Courtney, Barry Cunningham, Brad Isom, Lew Henry, and Tony Delmonico that I have seen much closer by playing with them in the past. But 6.7 is surely Impressive Mike Courtney was the only one of that group that could even come close to Cale spreed. Best luck to him and the Beavers.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FA15,

I know where your coming from. Do you remember another Thunder player? I think any SS in the state would be happy with his numbers for a season. These are his stats from 2002, I know they are correct:

(TSWA All-State 2002) (2002 All-KIL) (All-District 2002) (2002 - .445 BA, 57 hits, 17 2B's, 6 3B's, 2 HR's, 43 Runs, 50 RBI's, 28/32 SB's (Knoxville Thunder) Holds school records in hits, triples, RBI and SB), (All-TBR 2002)

Cody Crowell had an outstanding senior year in 2002, he only got to play SS that one year because he followed Eli Iorg and if Cale wasn't out that year for surgery Cody may not have even started at SS. Cody was a fine high school SS, he just didn't have the size to play in college.

Edited by HiwasseeVol

I'm by no means slighting anyone when I say this, but FA15 you're right about "politics." Kyle is every bit the stature that these other guys are. He's been on a different "circuit." Thunder, Team One, East Coast showcase, etc. The same can be said for Matt Spencer. He made his name with Thunder and Team One. On the other hand Chris and Cale have done it via The Yard and Perfect Game.

I don't think you can say one's better than the other. It just depends on what works best for you.

Having said that. Certain publications may get more information from one source than the other. The Rivals recruiting network ties into Team One. Baseball America is aligned with Perfect Game.

Just different ways to get to the same place.

Bizazz & FA15,

Believe me when I say that Kyle is on every list that matters and is a favorite of mine. I have spread the word on Kyle to everyone that would lend me their ear. Kyle is well known and is rated very high by the scouting services.

As for Cale and Chris, let's not also forget that they could have fallen on their face by going to the national events. But they didn't and I would like to think that was more than just politics, but rather a lot of hard work as well.

HV,

I purposely left Cody off for the very reason he played at Karns and I am not very big on 3-AAA. No just kidding. I actually cannot believe I left off someone I have known through church and baseball since age 11, and still keep in touch with him to this day. No Cody is still a heck of a player, he actually played with us this summer since he has the weird baseball and fit into the 18 and under. He was one of our best hitters there for a while over McKenry, Bell, Weddle, Kelly, me for sure and the list could go on for forever. I do not know who keeps the stats over there at Karns, but I remember him being a homerun short of the cycle everynight with a few stolen bases in there. Boy he is a tough out. It was great to be on the mound with Cody Crowell and Michael Courtney up the middle and Cunningham and Kelly on the corners and either Weddle or McKenry calling a great game behind the plate.(sorry, had a misty-eyed flashbacks) Moving ON.

Its too bad he never could get his arm back into shape and quit hurting him. Because I know he loved the game, and Jackie, his father, did too and the best for Cody, also one the best guys to be around.

That's very correct, if Chris and Cale go to these places and do not preform well above the rest then they do not get the honors that they are receiving and more importantly they do not get to sign their name on that line to play SEC ball. So hats off. I am just very interested to see a lot of these boys for this year's SR. class go on and play against each other in the coming years, and see the success they have. I hope everybody who has signed exceeds the expectations I have in my mind for them.

FA15,

It was nice hearing about those guys it brought back some good baseball memories for me as well. I see Cody at some sporting events and had also wondered what might have been if he hadn't started school at such an early age. It's funny because Jackie and I would always see each other at all the Farragut's games that we could manage to see. He loved watching the Thunder players and I just love watching great baseball.

Oh, I kept the stats that year and I'm very precise, Cody just had a special year, I remember he was lead-off hitter and his first swing for Karns the first scrimmage was for a home run against Carter HS. We should have known a good season was about to happen. I usually sit with Steve Waldrop at the Farragut games when watching the Admirals game and we joke about what we've seen while scoring games.

I had forgotten about Cody's arm, but do remember he played through pain his senior year and didn't miss many innings as I recall. The Beavers might have moved Sam Wright there for a few, but we really didn't have a backup that year.

HV,

As usual, good job on the shortstop rankings. It's really hard to separate the top 3, in my opinion. I am somewhat partial to Cozart after seeing him at Sunbelt in OK last summer. I haven't seen Fisher but he has to be good to go to Georgia Tech. Cale is excellent and always has been. All three should be successful this year and in years to come.

One point I will make about Kyle, who isn't a shortstop at this point in his career, is that he didn't make the showcase circuit that the others did. He had invitations to Perfect Game, TeamOne, etc. He was going to attend TeamOne the summer before his junior year but suffered a fractured ankle prior to the showcase. He was extremely fortunate to be invited to the Sunbelt Classic, the TBCA showcase at MTSU, and later last summer to the East Coast Professional. We felt he got plenty of exposure from these events. Frankly, the cost for us to attend several paid showcases didn't make sense after the attention was generated by these. I do believe that some of these lists are dominated by Perfect Game and TeamOne players. Nothing wrong with that, just need to understand that that is the situation. The point has been made that a player must perform at any of these showcases. That is absolutely true. Just attending isn't enough!

We don't worry too much about the rankings. Would I like to see Kyle in the Top 100 of these lists? Sure. Are there players listed he has played against that I think he should be above? Yes. Bottom line, he has signed with a school and staff that he absolutely loves and any other opportunities will work themselves out on the playing field.

Wesley, thanks so much for all you do for the players in Tennessee!

I saw this Phillip White kid this weekend in the Crocket County tourney and have to say I wasn't too impressed. He wasn't real bad or anything but he left something to be desired. I see potential for him as a senior at Milan High School as they look to have a good team this year. He was upstaged by his younger cousin Johnathin who had a towering home run against Crocket to win the game. If he works at it he can probably be on the list of best short stops but now he is lacking a few things needed to be on it.