Top TN 2004 Short Stops

HiwasseeVol

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiwasse Vol,

I figured Froning would stay at ss. I wanted to play him there and move the Ledford kid to 2b. And yes, he is a junior. I have discovered Wilson Troutt here at Gallatin. I think he has excellent ability defensively. Does all the things offensively of a top or bottom order hitter. In my opinion, maybe the best kept secret in this area. I am sure the other coaches in this district could tell you more. Otherwise, the list looks pretty good to me.

Keep an eye on Mark Foster, a senior SS at Cordova HS in West Tenn. In addition to a 4.0+ GPA this guy is lightning quick. He moved in from CF to SS the summer between his Soph. and Jr. year. He was All-Metro (Greater Memphis) as a SS last year. He was their lead-off hitter with a .351 AB and .523 SLUG%. 39 hits, 28 RBI. .985 FLD%.

Clarksville Wes Fink is a fine player with lots of tools. Don't know if he will be a SS at next level, but he will be at next level. Just a name to remember, Matt Tidwell, only a freshman. I know he hasn't played a high school game yet, but will get lots of chances at Creek Wood High. Instincts!!!! PEACE-OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIRSTBASEMAN,

I AM NOT BASHING AN MJ PLAYER. COACH PURVIS WAS ONE OF MY COLLEGE TEAMMATES AND VERY GOOD FRIEND. I HAVE MANY FRIENDS THERE. BUT, I DONT THINK HE IS A TOP SS. HE IS VERY AVERAGE IN MY OPINION. I WOULD PLAY LITTLE SHAO AT SHORT. I LIKE THE HILL KID TOO!!! AND CLIFF HARDY IS MY BOY. I TOLD COACH PURVIS 4 YEARS AGO CLIFF WOULD BE A GOOD PLAYER 4 HIM.....

Redsman, how's it going in Gallatin? We miss you in Cookeville. You inherited a no win situation and was able to start the process of playing the best players regardless of their year in school. The young guys which hustled and were pretty good ball players got some needed playing time. The coach before you never made one freshman game the only year he was at the helm. You set the stage for Coach Chaffin and it will reap dividends for days to come. Coach Chaffin is a great coach, but he has inherited some talent this year that has seen the field thanks to you.

The Ledford kid quit over the Christmas break and it appears that Adams has been moved to SS. He is a tremendous athlete as well. He needs consideration on this list.

Edited by disgustedfan

I agree with REDSMAN. I really dont understand why Bates is starting over little Shao at short. Did Shao not start at short last season? I think Bates is a good infielder to but I just dont understand why he is at short over Shao. I guess either way you cant go wrong. If Purvis thinks that Bates is doing a better job at short, then I'll take his word for it. I also agree that Cliff Hardy is a heck of a player. Who is going to be at short for Beech this season?

first of all i would just like to say i think taylor bates is a good shortstop. You dont have to hit homeruns, drive in runs, or make highlight plays to be a great shortstop. its the little things he does that makes him a good shortstop like get on base, make the everyday plays with confidence and has good leadership abilities on the field. coach purvis knows what he his doing and knows who he wants to play each position.

As for shao i have heard some rumors that he may move to 2nd base but i dont know for sure so dont know 100%, but shao and hill are great players indeed. I would put bates in with the top shortstops in the state. being a former player for coach purvis i know he has a plan and if he wants bates at short there is a reason for it.