Change State Wrestling Tourney format?

michael.geasley

How about a double elimination State Wrestling Tournament? (Is this another old question that is brought up every year at this time? LOL)

There were some very good wrestlers that didn't make it to the medal rounds due to their place on the brackets (for example, returning medalist, Speroff (Collierville @119) lost in overtime to Fuller (SD) in the first round of matches. Fuller then lost to eventual champion, Cordell (BC). Fuller's loss put Speroff out of the tournament after one overtime loss).

I realize that we can not overcome all the inequities in a tournament (of course the only difference between #2 and #3 is often that #3 lost to #1 first), but using a double elimination tournament would go a long ways towards fixing this particular problem.

I don't know how much additional time it would take to run a double elimination tournament. However, over the three days Div I was there, there seemed to be a lot to down time. The extra matches might be run at the gym across the street.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that double elimination was to be proposed to the D1 coaches by one of the regions. I haven't heard whether it was passed by the group to be forwarded to the Board. It has been sent to the Board before. The Chattanooga paper usually covers the coaches' proposals in the Sunday edition. Maybe some coach could give us the scoop.

If you go straight double elimination, you might as well add another day to the tournament, or start the Tourney on Thursday morning. I purpose this: Round of 32, single elimiantion, you lose...you are gone!!! Should make for some good first round action and get rid of the slackers early. ;) Then, run a double elimination starting in the round of 16. I don't like the pig tail system.

There was plenty of spare time at the tournament to add matches from double elimination. It is a shame for a bad spot in the brackets to eliminate a good wrestler from getting a metal. This has happened to too many wrestlers. Go to Fargo and see how many matched can happen. There is double elimination there with many more wrestlers. We are not from the Chattanooga area and we were home by dinner time. Wrestler Saturday night.

Georgia has 32 man bracket and double elimination. They also run the tournament in 2 days.

This was copied from Georia's web page http://www.georgiawrestling.net/2004/4a_st...state_sched.php

GEORGIA HIGH SCHOOL ASSOCIATION

STATE AAAA WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIPS

THE FORUM

ROME, GEORGIA

FEBRUARY 20 & 21

"TENTATIVE" SCHEDULE

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 19TH

Coaches & Wrestlers Check-In At Rome Forum (6:00 - 9:00 PM)

Coaches Will Receive Welcome Packets w/ Passes & Armbands for Wrestlers and Scorekeepers

Wrestlers Will be Permitted To Workout & Check Weights

Tournament Staff & Officials Will Complete Final Preparations for 2003 State AAAA Championships

The information packet can also be obtained on Friday morning, February 20th at the Official Weigh-in/ Skin Screening on the Second Floor of the Forum from 7:30-9:00 AM or at the Coaches Meeting at 9:00AM at a location in The Forum to be announced.

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 20TH

7:30-9:00 AM (Weigh-In & Skin Screening)

8:00-9:00 AM (Breakfast in Hospitality Room)

9:00-9:30 AM (Coaches Meeting- Location to Be Announced)

9:50-10:00 AM (Tournament Opening Ceremony)

10:00-5:00 PM (SESSION I)

Preliminaries (ROUND 1) -10:00 AM to 1:30 PM

1:00 - 2:00 PM (Lunch in Hospitality Room)

2:00-5:00 PM (Continue SESSION I)

Preliminaries (Round 2) -2:00 to 3:30 PM

Consultations (Round 3)- 3:30 to 5:00 PM

5:00 - 6:00 PM (Dinner in Hospitality Room)

MUST CLEAR AUDITORIUM BEFORE SESSION II

6:00-9:30 PM (SESSION II)

Quarter- Finals (Round 4)-6:00 to 7:00 PM

Consolations (Round 5)- 7:00 to 8:30 PM

Consolations (Round 6)- 8:30 to 9:30 PM

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 21ST

8:00- 9:00 AM (Breakfast In Hospitality Room)

9:00- 4:30 PM (SESSION III)

9:00 to 9:45 AM- Consolations (Round 7)

10:00 to 12:00 NOON- Semi-Finals (Round 8)

12:00 NOON to 1:00 PM- Lunch In Hospitality Room

1:00 - 2:30 PM- Consolation 1/4 Finals (Round 4)

2:30 to 3:30 PM- Consolation Semi-Finals

3:30 to 5:00 PM- Consolations Finals

5:00 to 6:00 PM- Dinner In Hospitality Room

MUST CLEAR AUDITORIUM BEFORE THE SESSION IV

6:00-9:00 PM (SESSION IV)

Opening Ceremony for Championship Finals-6:00 to 6:15 PM

Introduction of Championship Finalists-6:15 to 6:30 PM

Championship Finals-6:30 to 8:30 PM

Championship Awards Ceremony-8:30 to 9:00 PM

I have looked at quite a few other states websites for data, and TN is one of the few states that runs a carry tournament for the state. In my mind it is unfair that your second chance hinges on the wrestler beating you getting to the semi-finals. I have seen 3 quality wrestlers in the same quarter bracket. For example: A, ranked fourth in the state loses to B, ranked second in the state in the round of 16. Then B loses to C, ranked first in the state. A is eliminated and then B places third. How is this fair.

The proposal was passed by the coach's association Saturday morning. In the past the TSSAA Board of Control took "no action" on our motion. This basically means they didn't want to bother with it but don't have to justify turning the motion down since they didn't vote no. In our minds it is a no on the motion. Hopefully with the new proposed schedule by the coaches it will change.