michael.geasley

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

TDArtist,

They would never do that. Running two tournaments is difficult enough, but in two venues would be near impossible. First of all the logistics would be a nightmare. More mats equals more table workers and more wrestling mats to secure. Secondly, TSSAA would have to pay another set of officials to be in the other gym. More money euqlas a no go for TSSAA. Third, Division II would feel slighted that they are relegated to the smaller arena. Fair and equitable is important in this issue. Some DII coaches look at every little detail of the event to make sure they are not being treated like second class citizens. Lastly, I actually like both tournaments being held in the same arena. I can watch some DII kids I normally wouldn't get to see. I work with kids from all over the state during the spring and summer and enjoy watching their progress in February.

Coach Delgado,There were actually 4 quality wrestlers in the bracket I believe you are referring to. Wrestler D (a region champion, but not ranked) was also eliminated. Wrestler D watched from the stands as his regions 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishers advanced. The 3rd place finisher was 1 match away from the medal rounds. Wrestler D has a career record of 3-1, current year 2-1 against the Division 2 champion. Career record 2-1, current year 1-1 against the Division 1 champion. My guess is he was the only wrestler who has defeated the champions from both divisions this year. I want say which weight class,It's water under the bridge and does not matter now. The point is Tenn. has a flawed tournment format, double elimination is the only way to go.

Not to take away from the people that run the state tourny in Chattanooga, They

do a great job. But a larger place can be found. When the AAU had the Junior

Olympics at the Knoxville Convention center, they had 6 to 8 mats out and

room for 4 more. Also at this time judo had 6 sets of mats out, The dance/drill

area had a huge area and table tennis had 8 tables. The room could hold

20 mats with ease. Yes the bleachers was portable and yes the food was a lot

less money( drinks were $1.50 not $3.50). But double elimination could be done and Division II could be run at Knoxville.

Michael Morelan

No I am not from Knoxville.

Move the private schools to McClellan and then it wouldn't be a problem.

Hey, I didn't pay an arm and a leg to just see one division. If I'm going to drive 5 or 6 hours to see wrestling, pay for a hotel, and pay all the other travel expenses, I want to see every match I can. I like having the sessions like they are, and I like the tournament being in Chattanooga, because then you can go watch the UTC matches too (which I never get to see). I would also like to see a double elimination tournament, though. Is there a bigger facility in Chattanooga?

No real reason to look for another facility. Double elimination can be done in the roundhouse with very little time changes to what already exists. Wrestling ends on Thursday at 7 and Friday afternoon around 3, the extra rounds could be wrestled Thursday night and Friday afternoon.

You don't need a bigger facility. As it was discussed in the coaches meeting Saturday morning, a 32-man double elimination tournament for D-1 is doable right where we are. All it would mean is starting the tournament at 12:00 on Thursday instead of 4:00. By doing that, you can wrestle the round of 32, the round of 16, and the first round of consolations on Thursday and still be done by around 8:30 that evening. That would eliminate 112 of the 448 wrestlers entered in the tournament after the first day making weigh-ins shorter. As it is now, everybody has to come back Friday morning and make weight again, but the first round losers have to sit and hope they get carried. Maybe the wrestle, maybe they don't, but they still had to make weight again.

Friday morning, start back up with the second round of consolations on all 8 mats (eliminating another 112), then drop to 4 mats for the quarters at noon when D-2 starts on the other 4 mats. Keep running 8 mats for both divisions through Friday night's session and you're right back on schedule with medal matches Saturday morning.

This can work and the D-2 schedule won't have to change at all.

Edited by CoachBlair

Coach Blair-----is there any possible way to put you in charge of the tournament? I have heard other coaches say "that all we would have to do is start earlier on Thursday" but I have not seen anyone lay it out the way you have. Great job. The current system is not fair to the kids----------after all, that is who this is supposed to be for, isn't it?---------------particularly those who have to travel from the other side of the state. And you correctly pointed out how unfair-----------not to the mention bad PR for the sport --------- it is for kids to have to struggle to make weight on Friday and then sit around all morning just to see if they will wrestle. Wrestling is a very difficult sport in which kids have to make significant sacrifices to excel. Those who work hard and qualify to wrestle for a state championship should at least get two matches for their efforts. instead of the possibility of one and done. For a kid who has given blood, sweat and tears to get to state, the current format often seems more like a punishment for getting there rather than a chance at the ultimate reward.

I will say this though, the current method of placing wrestlers in brackets really must be a "blind draw" ( unless you are a prior medal winner and a region number one) because only a blind person would have left some of the brackets the way they were---------anyone with even a small amount of vision could have seen that.