Losing good players to AAU Basketball

ph4u

How many small schools out there are losing good players to AAU because of pressure from AAU coaches and High School coaches. It seems like the small schools suffer the most. Most small school rely on a few basketball players to play softball and it seems like AAU is trying to get the upper hand by telling them they really need to stay in the gym. Is it really good on the knees and back to pound the gym floor 9 out of 12 months a year. Come on give these girls a break.

My youngest child is in this spot but she plays both. She loves basketball but she takes stuff out on softballs when she plays. She feels that if the AAU coach and softball coach(her dad) really wants her, they will work it out. And on the softball end, I do. But her AAU coach does not like her playing softball during this time. Because she could get hurt, but get real, she can get hurt at practice just as easy. We need to think about what the child wants. You are not guaranteed to get a college scholarship if you play AAU any way. Some coaches just want to be Pat Summitt or something. Give the kids a chance to enjoy life and be Childern :P

Edited by Sidetrain

:D Coaches put pressure on young kids to play only one sport. The coaches do this for themselves and winning not for the kids. I feel that that's wrong. A kid that is outstanding in a sport at a young age might burn out from all the pressure that is placed on them. And everyone knows it all about winning. I agree with sidetrain the kids should be allowed to be kids. I coach both Basketball and softball and a love to see the young ladies enjoy playing both. I also love to win .

Each player must make a choice that works for them. Some players can play two sports at this time of year. Courtney Boynton of Beech HS played Softball and played AAU basketball. She played on a State Championship softball team and played with the Tennessee Stars that were 16 and under AAU National Champions. Not everyone can do that, some need to stick with their best sport. If a needed college scholarship is in the balance, each individual must make their on choice.